Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Halloween III: Pure genuis or Pure Crap?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Halloween III: Pure Genius or Pure Crap?
Pure Genius
51.79%
Pure Crap
48.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 12:56 PM
steak

Of course pure crap, but I had one question.

Spoiler:
Was that chic in the movie supposed to be a robot the whole time?

Last edited by steak; 09-30-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 12:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How about somewhere in between?

And the answer to your question is NO. She was killed and replaced with a robot double.
Old 09-30-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I say it's crap but not pure. It has that catchy Halloween commercial song.
Old 09-30-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Groucho. But say it was neither. It was what it was.

Though, she might not have been killed...we never saw it happen...she could still be alive...

right..? right..?
Old 09-30-03, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not pure, and it's not genius, but it's my favorite of the Halloween films. Had it been released without the trappings of the Halloween name/legacy, I believe far more people would consider it to be a great '80s cult film.
Old 09-30-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMO it's very underrated. I wouldn't call it genious though. I do own it on DVD and I'm sure I'll be watching it soon with Halloween coming up.
Old 09-30-03, 02:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
Had it been released without the trappings of the Halloween name/legacy, I believe far more people would consider it to be a great '80s cult film.
Very good point. It got blasted because it deviated from the Halloween structure. While not a bad thing, it was not what fans wanted. FWIW, I think it's actually a decent film. Not pure genius, but not pure crap either.
Old 09-30-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie is so AWFUL, it's actually cool. I remember waaaaay back a long time ago. We only had Encore as a movie channel, and they showed this movie all the time. I've seen it so many times. I am totally buying that dvd when it comes out next week. Some movies are so terrible that you have to love them.

Oh yea... the song!!! that song stays in your head forever
Old 09-30-03, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll have to go with somewhere in between, for a number of reasons. Prepare for a digression...

When I was about 10 years old, my best friend rented this and we watched it. It scared me to DEATH. During the "mask scene" at the end, I was so disturbed that I had to leave the room and sit on the front porch to calm myself down.

Of course, I was a kid, and a colossal chicken, but at that point in time, "Halloween III" became synonymous with "pure terror!" in my mind. It turned me off of horror movies for a while.

Later I inexplicably became a horror-loving teen, and "Halloween" became one of my all time favorite flicks. At that point, "Halloween III" became a subject of derision. I mocked it because it didn't fit in with the series, because I thought it was stupid, etc

Then even later, as an adult, I watched it again, and found that it was a solid little horror movie with a few good grossouts and a couple of scares. It's not Carpenter or Michael Myers, but it gets the job done.

So, in my lifetime I've progressed from "Terrifying" (if not "genius) to "Pure Crap!" to "Pretty ok."
Old 09-30-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I always loved it and found it a refreshing departure from the Michael Myers storyline. In fact I'd hoped that each movie in the Halloween series would have a different storyline. Instead they went back to the Friday the 13th mindset.
Old 09-30-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jules Winfield
I say it's crap but not pure. It has that catchy Halloween commercial song.
8 more days til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween. 8 more days til Halloween, Silver Shamrock!

Damn that song gets stuck in your head like a canadian quarter.
Old 09-30-03, 04:12 PM
Rest in Peace

No she was human until she was 'drained' of her personna and changed into a killer or a probe, like Ilea in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Persis Khambatta) 1979

P.S. After making "Nighthawks"(1981) with Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner), Sylvester Stallone(Rocky) and Billy Dee Williams(Star Wars) she died. In "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch", I liked Tom Akins (The Fog) acting. He also acted in "Lethal Weapon" (banker and part of Heroine smuggeling mercs). His daughter jumped from the 14th floor on draino and cocaine onto a car, ala "Looker" 1981 with Albert Finney(Wolfen-1981) and Susan Dey(Partridge Family).

Last edited by danol; 09-30-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like many others saw this on TV and it scared the Beejesus out of me. The part where the masks suck people faces in was pretty scary. I liked it.
Old 09-30-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
It's not pure, and it's not genius, but it's my favorite of the Halloween films. Had it been released without the trappings of the Halloween name/legacy, I believe far more people would consider it to be a great '80s cult film.
Exactly. Very underrated.

I've actually come to enjoy it more over the years after repeat viewings. When I saw it for the first time years ago, I couldn't for the life of me get that damn song out of my head for months!
Old 09-30-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by danol
No she was human until she was 'drained' of her personna and changed into a killer or a probe, like Ilea in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Persis Khambatta) 1979

P.S. After making "Nighthawks"(1981) with Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner), Sylvester Stallone(Rocky) and Billy Dee Williams(Star Wars) she died. In "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch", I liked Tom Akins (The Fog) acting. He also acted in "Lethal Weapon" (banker and part of Heroine smuggeling mercs). His daughter jumped from the 14th floor on draino and cocaine onto a car, ala "Looker" 1981 with Albert Finney(Wolfen-1981) and Susan Dey(Partridge Family).
Who died? Persis Khambatta?
Old 09-30-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

who died??
Old 09-30-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's not pure, and it's not genius, but it's my favorite of the Halloween films.
You have got to be kidding! In a series where you have the pure genius that is the original, and it's very good sequel, the awful Season of the Witch is your favorite?
Old 09-30-03, 09:23 PM

Underrated classic in my book.

I'll definitely be watching it this Halloween!
Old 09-30-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Terrell
You have got to be kidding! In a series where you have the pure genius that is the original, and it's very good sequel, the awful Season of the Witch is your favorite?
Uh, yeah, that's what I said.

The original is great, but I've never really been into the slasher film genre, per se. I'm more of a sci-fi-thriller-horror, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, kind of guy...so HIII suits me just fine.
Old 10-01-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loooooove Halloween III. Any movie that has such a subversive, non-Hollywood ending is A-OK in my book. And this one can boast Nigel Kneale too.
Old 10-01-03, 01:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
They should have kept in line with H3 and had different stories every film instead of dragging out Michael Myers each time.
Old 10-02-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since there was no in between choice, I put crap, but I'd still watch it if it pops up. I just don't consider it a true Halloween movie.
Old 10-02-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The original is great, but I've never really been into the slasher film genre, per se. I'm more of a sci-fi-thriller-horror, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, kind of guy...so HIII suits me just fine.
Just asking! Makes sense. Although I wouldn't call the original Halloween a slasher, even though it's routinely placed in the genre. Some of the sequels certainly are. Friday the 13th films are definitely slashers.
Old 10-02-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I liked it as a stand-alone movie apart from the series, as many have noted. Not classic, but certainly not crap for its time.
Old 10-03-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by danol
After making "Nighthawks"(1981) with Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner), Sylvester Stallone(Rocky) and Billy Dee Williams(Star Wars) she died.

Or, more accurately, after making Nighthawks she lived for 18 more years and made 6 other movies.. Then, she died.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.