Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Everybody Loves Raymond is a funny show

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't think Everybody Loves Raymond is a funny show

This is one of those shows I only catch from time to time and occasionally in reruns, so maybe it's just me but I never did find this show to be all that funny.
I maybe get one or two laughs per show, but that's about it.

Maybe I just don't get it but is it supposed to be a one joke show? That is, that the whole show is about this over controlling mother, and that's supposed to be really funny??
I find her character annoying so maybe I just don't "get it"?

I know the show is supposed to b wildly popular and Ray Romano is the highest paid sitcom actor but I don't see the draw.

What do you all think?
Old 09-30-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're not the only one, it's a horrible show.

Does thread-crapping in a thread-crapping thread still count as thread-crapping?

Old 09-30-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by Meatpants
You're not the only one, it's a horrible show.

Does thread-crapping in a thread-crapping thread still count as thread-crapping?

That would be like a double negative, like 'don't never' means 'always', so...my brain hurts now.....

Anyway, my folks love it, so when it's on at their house, I watch it. But I don't see it's appeal/draw. Yes, the acting is excellent, but the rest is just a decent sit-com......
Old 09-30-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
You're not the only one. Then again, I rarely agree with what Middle America likes when it comes to comedies.
Old 09-30-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one .... I've watched maybe a dozen episodes all together, and at best they are inoffensive time-fillers.
Old 09-30-03, 12:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not a Raymond fan either.
Old 09-30-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally posted by Jobronie
That would be like a double negative, like 'don't never' means 'always', so...my brain hurts now.....

Anyway, my folks love it, so when it's on at their house, I watch it. But I don't see it's appeal/draw. Yes, the acting is excellent, but the rest is just a decent sit-com......
I would like to modify your statement if I may.

The acting is excellent by the three supporting players. Calling Ray Romano an actor is like calling ketchup a vegetable. I've said it before but Ray Romano is like Rosanne in her first season. Unlike Rosanne, however, he just never does get any better.

Not much to say for the one note performance from the woman who plays the wife as well.
Old 09-30-03, 12:42 PM

Wait wait wait. Are you saying that NOT Everybody Loves Raymond?!?
Old 09-30-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I dislike the show as well. The characters are so nasty and hateful to each other, it's awkward to watch. And what's with that ridiculous voice on the brother? He's won multiple Emmys for that? Feh.

Honk!
Old 09-30-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most people that don't like it are just annoyed by the actors' voices. Between Ray, his brother and his mom, that's pretty understandable. I think it's a funny show, but it gets redundant after a while. There are a lot of good zingers, just not much for plots. I quit watching it after they made it to syndication. I figure I can catch it in reruns forever.
Old 09-30-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
I think most people that don't like it are just annoyed by the actors' voices. Between Ray, his brother and his mom, that's pretty understandable. I think it's a funny show, but it gets redundant after a while.
Exactly. It was amusing at first. Now, it just gets on my nerves.
Old 09-30-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always think it's funny how their three kids are NEVER around.
Old 09-30-03, 03:06 PM

I love the show. But then again it probably helps that the show is a carbon copy of my family, taken to extremes of course.
Old 09-30-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apply this to virtually every sitcom on the air right now and you are within distance of my point of view.

I would put a moratorium on sitcoms if I could consolidate and run all 3 networks. There hasn't been a great one in half a decade at least.
Old 09-30-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah

I would put a moratorium on sitcoms if I could consolidate and run all 3 networks. There hasn't been a great one in half a decade at least.

I've been saying for the last 3-4 years that we are in the dark ages of sitcoms, particularly compared to the 70s and 80s. The only 3 network sitcoms I watch are That 70s Show, 8 Simple Rules, and King of Queens (which given the logjam of shows at 9 pm Wed, I will have to catch these eps when they are repeated). The only sitcoms I watch on cable are Sex & the City and Coupling (UK).
Old 09-30-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't like it either, but I think that Patricia Heaton is hot...
Old 09-30-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll see your not liking Raymond and raise you one can't stand Will & Grace...
Old 09-30-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that W&G is the most hated show on this forum, so most people will agree with you...
Old 09-30-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think it is funny. I am curious how many people that do not like are married vs single.
Old 09-30-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the show was funny years ago, but these people not getting along can only be funny for so long. I think they have the right idea as far as this being the shows last season.
Old 09-30-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a fan, either. Peter Boyle can be hilarious if properly written for (see Young Frankenstein and Honeymoon in Vegas), but that's about it. There is usually a bland, inoffensive and pointless show like this that draws big ratings and gets awards. It used to be Home Improvement and before that it was Coach.

The formula is the same (or generally similar): dad's a big lovable fool. His brother/sidekick is even more of a fool. His wife is hot and smarter than he is (which doesn't inspire audience resentment, for some reason) and he has a bunch of smart alecky kids who make Borcht Belt wiecracks all the live long day.
Old 09-30-03, 11:47 PM

I can't stand the show. Annoying as hell. I've hated the title for a long time, too. NOT Everybody Loves Raymond. Lots of us dislike him very much, thank you. It should be called, "Several People Like Raymond" or "Raymond is Liked By Some."

I haven't found it funny the few times I've watched and I anxiously await it's demise.
Old 10-01-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never used to see the appeal of this show...but that was after only seeing it once or maybe a few clips here and there... then on one fateful and boring night, I decided to give it another shot and I think it's hilarious. I enjoy the characters, some of the dialogue is great...sure, the plot is never that good, but it's more just about hanging out with the family... I like it and that's all that matters to me!

MATT
Old 10-01-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked some of Ray Romano's stand up routine, mainly saw it when he'd be on Dr.Katz. It seemed to be all about masturbating. I tried to watch a couple of the shows on TV when it came on, and there was no funny. None to be found anywhere.

Then I realized this was on CBS, the Old Folks Network, and realized I wouldn't liket this show for quite some time.
Old 10-01-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to hate the show, but now I tolerate it. I like the dad, so I tune in from time to time just to laugh at him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.