Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer the Movie (1992) Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-30-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of this discussion about the series going on, I think it's time we have some discussion of the original movie. . I watched it back in the early 90s because it had Luke Perry from 90210.

I have decided to start the adventure over, by watching the movie, and the unaired pilot before getting back in the series.

I watched the (again) Saturday night. So, it's a movie thats on my mind right now. I think it was pretty funny really. What are your guys' opinions and thoughts?
Old 09-30-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though I enjoyed it when I saw it back in the 90's, my recent repeat viewing of it was EXTREMELY disappointing. It was dated and not really all that great. No wonder Joss Whedon was disheartened with the final product! I think it is hilarious that the show itself starts up without denying that the story in the film actually occurred and then goes in a COMPLETELY different direction.

I hope that unaired pilot ends up as an extra on one of the DVD sets - though I seriously doubt it will.
Old 09-30-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Though I enjoyed it when I saw it back in the 90's, my recent repeat viewing of it was EXTREMELY disappointing.
I agree completely. I completely forgot how bad Pee Wee was in this movie. I don't know why I seem to remember enjoying this movie 10 years ago.
Old 09-30-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The "badness" is part of why it was so funny.
Old 09-30-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I heard that the original script for this movie was turned into a graphic novel and used as a prequel of sorts to the Buffy series we got on TV. Any confirmation?
Old 09-30-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I think I read that once too Doc, not positive though.

I admit the movie has it's charms and appeal, but it pales in comparison to the series. I bought the DVD as a completist, but I have given it a spin a few times. It's not a bad flick, it's just not really Buffy.
Old 09-30-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I liked the movie better than the show. Just for the laughs though. Nothing is better than showing a one-armed vampire your keen fashion sense, nothing!
Old 09-30-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I should also mention I did find Paul Ruben's performance to be pretty entertaining. The movie just couldn't reach the scope of what the series would later become.
Old 09-30-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched something on AMC, a looooooong time ago, so Im not sure about everything, but I seem to remember somebody saying that the movie was far from Joss Whedon's vision. What's her name Fran Kuzui pretty much took it over, she thought the original idea for the movie was "too scary" or something.

I got the dvd too because I am a completist. I thought Paul Rubens was hilarious,
Spoiler:
especially after getting staked
Old 09-30-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is the only movie that I ever walked out of after the first 20 minutes. And I like the series.
Old 09-30-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I first saw this film on the shelves of the local Sam's Club I begged my father to get it for me. Sure I was old enough to buy it but I think it one of my first blind buys.

LOVED the film. I don't know what was so great about it but I just thought it was the best.

Then when the series came on the air I vowed never to watch it. It just looked nothing like the movie and I was ticked that it was going to be different.

Now here I sit with all the R1 Buffy DVD sets to date proudly displayed and the Buffy movie tucked away in some far corner.

The show won't show it's age for some time but the movie is just outdated and silly at this point. I was such a fool.
Old 10-01-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually enjoy the movie and the series. I just think of them as two entirely non-related entities.
Old 10-01-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by matome
I actually enjoy the movie and the series. I just think of them as two entirely non-related entities.
That'swhat I do to. They are two entirely different non-related entities that happen to share a name.

It's a fun movie, always has been. It's a fairly big cast for the film that it is, too. This could be an age thing, but I remember this movie being quite the cult film until the series came along. All of the fans abandoned it at that point.
Old 10-01-03, 11:43 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Loved the series, thought the movie mediocre at best.
Old 10-01-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts
Laughed through the entire movie, found the series tedious.