Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clive Owen the next Bond?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this on IMDB and thought I'd post it. If it's true then I think this is a step in the right direction for MGM after the last few Bond films have been terrible, IMO. Here it is:

Clive Owen To Be New Bond?

Croupier star Clive Owen is poised to be unveiled as the new James Bond next year, according to reports. Current 007 star Pierce Brosnan is reportedly planning to announce the next Bond film will be his last in a press conference in January or February. According to British tabloid the Daily Record, movie bosses are expected to announce Clive, 38, will take over the role - after being recommended by 50-year- old Pierce. An insider says, "Clive's the one. There have been rumors about Clive, but these rumors are getting louder and louder now. No one at the top will come out and admit it, but the claims it's Clive are coming from different sources within EON, who make the Bond films. Seeing Clive in Croupier brought him to the Bond maker's attention. He looks good in a tuxedo and has that edge which makes him attractive to the ladies, but liked by the guys. He's not hugely known, but has done some good films and is at least a name people recognize."
Old 09-30-03, 09:12 AM
Banned

That's funny. I kinda remember this on imdb.com awhile back:

James Bond contender Clive Owen has snubbed the legendary franchise - by dismissing it as unchallenging. The British hunk is reported to be a frontrunner to replace departing 007 Pierce Brosnan when he hands over the superspy role after the next film. However, Gosford Park star Owen is nonplussed about the prospect of being the world's most famous hero - in fact, he doesn't want the job. According to British tabloid The Daily Express, he told a pal, "I think it's too formulaic, too tried and tested and a little past it's sell by date. I would not consider it to be a challenge. I've just come back from Los Angeles where I had a meeting with Francis Ford Coppola who wants to cast me in an exciting new project, which will be Bond-like but more challenging and relevant today. I'm really excited about it.

Money talks.
Old 09-30-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=300931
Old 09-30-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep Peirce long enough to tie Connery ane Moore.
Old 09-30-03, 10:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Clive Owen is a good choice. My personal choice is Colin Salmon:

I saw an interview with Pierce Brosnan, and was suprised to see that Salmon was also his choice as his successor.
Old 09-30-03, 10:38 AM

I think the key piece of information is -
"According to British tabloid the Daily Record"
Not exactly a reputable publication.

Take this information with a pinch of salt.
Old 09-30-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
The 1st thing that popped in my mind while I was watching the BMW shorts is that Clive Owen would make a great Bond. Aside from drooling over the Z4 that is.
Old 09-30-03, 11:18 AM

I don't think Clive "looks" like Bond, but at least he's a good actor...better him than, say, Colin Farrell!

Although I'd love it if Dalton would come back!
Old 09-30-03, 01:17 PM
Banned

They should go after Christian Bale.
Old 09-30-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
They should go after Christian Bale.
Combine the franchises! Batman in an Aston Martin. With big fins.
Old 09-30-03, 05:04 PM
Rest in Peace

007 Women just keep them coming

I don't care as long as they keep including the worlds best looking women as his lover, partner, or enemy. I just love lovely woman/women in the movie besides Judy Dench.

P.S. I have always liked the first Ms. Monneypenny since I seen her in "The Haunting"-1962 as the woman in Abegails nursery who got lost and scared the daylights out of Nell AKA Elenor Vance when she opened a trap door above the spiral stair case. Seen by Nell 'who' drove her car into the same tree as the first Mrs. Hugh Crane, dying when the horses bolted then the carriage hit the tree; turning over and killing her as told by the good ghost hunter host (based on book "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson).
Old 09-30-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I think Brosnan is really enjoying the role, and doubt he'll step down anytime soon. These rumors come around after every picture. Personally, as a huge Bond fan (note the username), I've considered Christian Bale as a good replacement when the time comes, however, with him taking over the Batman franchise, this may never come to be.

PS, Dalton was very good and totally under-rated as Bond, but at this time is probably too old for the part.

RIP Desmond L.
Old 09-30-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems a bit early to name a replacement when the next film hasn't even started. They certainly waited to name a replacement in the past. Seems fishy...