Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
The Amazing Race 5 set for Summer 2004

CBS' "Amazing" Renewal

By Josh Grossberg

Ready for another Amazing Race?

Hot off the show's longshot Emmy victory earlier this month over fellow CBS entry Survivor and Fox's American Idol, the Eye has given the go-ahead for a fifth season of its extreme reality adventure series.

Word of Amazing's pickup should make the Hollywood mega-producer behind it, Jerry Bruckheimer, mighty happy, since he was the one calling on CBS executives to give the show the green light after its upset victory for the first ever Emmy for Outstanding Reality/Competition Program.

"You know what feels great about winning?" Bruckheimer rheorically queried backstage at the awards. "We still haven't been renewed, so this feels wonderful. CBS, are you watching?"

Yep Jerry, the network was.

The Amazing Race, hosted by Phil Keoghan, has become the critical darling of the reality TV genre. The series follows 11 pairs of contestants (be it couples, relatives or friends) on a frenzied 25,000-mile dash amid far-flung locales, using their wits to stay ahead of the other teams in hopes of capturing a $1 million grand prize.

The fourth edition--featuring gay couple Chip and Reichen crossing the finish line in Phoenix ahead of their competitors after traipsing through Europe, India, Malaysia, Korea and Australia--was one of the summer's most watched reality series, averaging 8.4 million viewers per episode. The third installment, which aired last fall, had an even bigger audience, drawing 9 million viewers.

Bruckheimer's production company had already started work on the next edition of the globe-trotting challenge despite being kept in limbo by the network about the show's fate.

During the Emmy ceremonies, series creator and executive producer Bertram van Munster revealed backstage just how frenzied he and his staff were not knowing Amazing's future.

"We're casting right now, but every day there's a little bit of torture there," he said.

Those eager to to take the road less traveled and join the odyssey can apply via CBS.com. The fifth installment of The Amazing Race is set to premiere next summer.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/12591
Old 09-30-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is very good news. I've been suspecting it'd be picked up again after the Emmy nod, but now that it's official, I can do a Happy Dance!
Old 09-30-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Great News!

It would have been sad but somehow typical for the show to win an Emmy and then be canceled.
Old 09-30-03, 12:04 PM

I'm very happy to see this show is coming back. Hubby and I love watching it.
Old 09-30-03, 12:42 PM

I'd love to be on this show.