Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

10-8, it's a decent show

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10-8, it's a decent show

Sure I sort of work for ABC, so I'm a bit biased, but 10-8 lived up to my expectations, it's a decent show. I think I could reasonably call it our second best show after Alias. Sure the plot has probably been done before, but it was entertaining enough to keep my attention as a viewer (as opposed to a switcher) for its duration.

Many ABC shows I don't really care for. I really don't like Extreme Makeover, it's not entertaining to me at all. But 10-8 is genuinely entertaining. Not as riveting as Alias, but alright.
Old 09-29-03, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I liked it. Nothing new though. Looked good in HD.
Old 09-29-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wasn't complete crap, and this did surprise me, so I guess

das
Old 09-29-03, 04:44 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I recorded it and will hopefully find time to watch it tonight. I like Danny Nucci, so I'm optimistic.
Old 09-29-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't like it at all. I might possibly watch it again if there was nothing else on, but based on the first episode, it didn't really draw me in...
Old 09-29-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't watch it. Just thought I'd mention that.
Old 09-29-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found it actually fairly realistic (not in the sense that they saw more excitement on the first day of training than most officers see in five years). The hazing that goes on for new trainees can be pretty bad; if anything it is worse than this show portrays. I enjoyed the show. Not great, but it has potential.
Old 09-29-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I didn't care for it, it was good to see another ex-Oz star on TV. Scott Winters played one of the more senior cops...
Old 09-29-03, 06:29 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I Tivo'ed it and will watch it later this week. At this point I really don't have an opinion of it. Is it "The Sheild" quality? Probably not.

DAC
Old 09-29-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DAC
I Tivo'ed it and will watch it later this week. At this point I really don't have an opinion of it. Is it "The Sheild" quality? Probably not.

DAC
Nope, IMO not even close. Still worth watching, though.
Old 09-29-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Surprised that we enjoyed it as much as we did (and that's a relative term). Had it on in the kitchen and we were playing with the kids, but we kept running back to the TV after the commercials; ALWAYS a positive sign. I thought Miguel Sandoval's character was just a bit too chummy too soon with Nucci. Also thought they were gonna push the fish-out-of-water aspect of Nucci more, and am glad that they didn't. We'll watch again next week.
Old 09-29-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was ok. I'll give it another week or two. Nothing really special about it. Just a good show. No real drama, suspense, or action.
Old 09-29-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad. I like who they rounded out the cast w/, and I was glad to see some recognizable faces.

I'll keep tuning in to see how it progresses.

Ernie Hudson's always great.
Old 09-29-03, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I'll stick to The Wire as my cop show
Old 09-29-03, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DAC

DAC
Do you want all your comedies to be like "The Shield"?
Old 09-30-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jobronie
Surprised that we enjoyed it as much as we did (and that's a relative term). Had it on in the kitchen and we were playing with the kids, but we kept running back to the TV after the commercials; ALWAYS a positive sign. I thought Miguel Sandoval's character was just a bit too chummy too soon with Nucci. Also thought they were gonna push the fish-out-of-water aspect of Nucci more, and am glad that they didn't. We'll watch again next week.
Just using your comment as a jumping off point.

I find when I watch tv like that, or anything for that matter but I only do it for tv, that it makes the weak shows look better than they are and the stronger shows weaker. Sort of what I imagine anti-depressants do, bring everything close to the center of the spectrum.

I try to give shows my full attention when I can atleast until I form an opinion on what type of show it is to me.

I didn't watch this, choose one of the other shows that were on at the same time, but flicked over during a commercial a couple of times. Not sure what I would have thought of it but it seemed to have a sort of silly style and in hindsight think I would have rather watched this instead of what I did (course it would have been vice versa if I did).

Last edited by abintra; 09-30-03 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-30-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

gotta like ernie hudson. he's made to play a pissed off cop with a heart of gold.
Old 09-30-03, 01:05 PM
razorbackfan

It's ok. When I was an FTO I used to carry a rolled up newspaper and hit my trainees over the head and yell "Bad rookie". Ernie Hudson is a black version of me. When I was a rookie 25 years ago I actually did order a pizza and have it delivered to the car. My FTO was not amused.

BTW those are NOT authentic LASD badges, patches or car markings. Seems the department is not supporting this show.
Old 10-01-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by razorbackfan
BTW those are NOT authentic LASD badges, patches or car markings. Seems the department is not supporting this show.
Do other shows/movies use real-looking badges and markings? I wouldn't think the LAPD would want to have a bunch of actors running around looking like real cops.
Old 10-04-03, 04:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
The show was actually quite decent. I'm not quite sure what path it will choose to take...quirky cop dramedy, buddy cop drama or more of a hardcore cop drama. Either way, I do not think it will do well in the ratings. Shows like this never seem to.