Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Carnivale 9/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Carnivale 9/28

Haven't watched it yet (catching the late show due to an Alias conflict) but figured we might as well go ahead and get a thread going. I'm looking forward to it; the previews looked nice.
Old 09-28-03, 10:26 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not as good as last week, but I still enjoyed it. The focus was more on Ben's story this time around.
Old 09-28-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Well I thought it was good getting an example and an explanation of the powers of each. I noticed that it seems the preacher's powers come out of moments of anger. While Ben has only used his once, and exercised forethought. That's probably the key as to who is "good" and who is "bad" although you never know. Perhaps as the show goes neither one will be on a certain side, but have positives and negatives. I'm intrigued though, and even though not much seems to happen, I still like the atmosphere. I'm very eager to see what this Babylon is all about, and especially to see some more dream sequences involving that bear.
Old 09-29-03, 12:35 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I liked it, and I don't mind that it's got a slow pace. I have no problem with a show that takes it's time getting to the action. I would like to see more of some of the "freaks" though. The siamese twins haven't gotten much screentime yet.
Viva Babylon.
Old 09-29-03, 06:58 AM

& they've only shown Matthew McGory (sp?) briefly in the pilot.

I still love this show, It has me intrigued & I can't wait until next weeks episode.
Old 09-29-03, 09:18 AM

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
I too am loving this show. It does such a good job at creating an effective atmosphere. Can't wait for next week's episode!
Old 09-29-03, 09:37 AM

I really like Carnivale and think it proves once again that there is a ton of talent out there that networks refuse or can't seem to tap..........
Old 09-29-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Though it started out slow, Carnivale is starting to grow on me. I loved the last scene where the midget challenged Ben about what he would do if he had to heal the woman. I can't wait until Ben actually heals someone in front of the carnies.
Old 09-29-03, 10:59 AM

I thought it was good, too. Wish they hadn't named the city they're travelling to "Babylon."
Old 09-29-03, 12:08 PM

My GF who was watching it with me thought that them going to "Babylon" was funny.
She is a QaF fan and the name of the club on it is Babylon.
Old 09-29-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fourwalker
I really like Carnivale and think it proves once again that there is a ton of talent out there that networks refuse or can't seem to tap..........
I think this show would probably never survive on network tv, even if a network made a serious effort. For one thing there isn't enough happening in each episode to keep people from changing the channel at a commercial break. I don't think it could get the ratings required by the big networks.

I liked this episode, but I'm ready for something a little more impressive to happen than Brother Justin getting mad. There wasn't a whole lot that we learned this week. With those two in the same town I was expecting a little bit more to happen before they left.
Old 09-29-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
I don't think they were in the same town.
Old 09-29-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JJE-187
My GF who was watching it with me thought that them going to "Babylon" was funny.
She is a QaF fan and the name of the club on it is Babylon.
It's even funnier when you take into account that the preacher's name is "Justin."
Old 09-29-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I don't think they were in the same town.
Well they sure don't make it very clear, either way. They sort of give us an idea where the carnies are, but where the heck is Brother Justin then? They just flip back and forth between the two and everything looks the same. It'd be nice if they'd look at a map to show where they were going. Maybe they did and I missed it. This show's going to lose me soon if it doesn't get moving.
Old 09-29-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Roto
Well they sure don't make it very clear, either way. They sort of give us an idea where the carnies are, but where the heck is Brother Justin then? They just flip back and forth between the two and everything looks the same. It'd be nice if they'd look at a map to show where they were going. Maybe they did and I missed it. This show's going to lose me soon if it doesn't get moving.
The Carnies are in Oklahoma and heading to Babylon, in Texas. Brother Justin is in California preaching to the Okies.
Old 09-30-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Justin's sister is catching on to his madness, I think.

Fun to see Matt McCoy play yet another charming sleaze and also fun to see "Otho" from Beetlejuice. That family should steer clear of Bro. Justin...
Old 09-30-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only real issue with the show is that it seems more like they are trying to extend the story as long as possible to cover a certain amount of episode commitment than for the actual purpose of storytelling. If that proves to be false then good but that is my impression thusfar.

Pacing, mood, and atmosphere are one thing but I am not emotionally involved in the unfolding as much as I feel I should be. The second half of this I felt was handled better but I would like to be more absorbed in it than I am. Then again I will stick with it just to support anything that doesn't rely on fast, slick editing and visuals in place of strong writing.
Old 09-30-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
3rd installment was okay.

Now Ben knows that his gift/curse comes with a price, and that he can't be healing people unless someone else gives up their lifeforce.

That preacher needs to work on his temper. He's going through that town's influential men awfully fast.

That Sampson and the other carnies go to where Ben is directed to go, and know about the places gives an ominous and foreboding tone to the journey.
Old 09-30-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by RevLiver
The Carnies are in Oklahoma and heading to Babylon, in Texas. Brother Justin is in California preaching to the Okies.
Thanks. I know I'm not the only one who didn't catch that the preacher was in California. I guess we probably have more of the same to look forward to since it seems pretty obvious this all leads to those two meeting. Hopefully Hawkins finds a little more out about his gift along the way. They aren't giving him much.
Old 09-30-03, 12:44 PM

Justin's sister is catching on to his madness, I think.
I wouldn't be surprised if she turns out to have a little madness herself.
Old 10-02-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After the Twin Peakish opener to last weeks episode, this one certainly felt much more grounded in reality ( child's funeral opener)
What I found enjoyable about this episode was the measured calculation with which it was scripted. Also there were some wonderful performances, Clancy B. got to rattle some bones with his sermon and scream also MJA as Samson really seemed to finally find his groove with the character. After watching this episode 3 times once WS once FF and once in B&W, my wife and I finally spotted BILL MOSELEY as possum the cook. "FRESH ORANGE JUICE!"
BTW, looks like HBO is running a marathon of the first three episodes this weekend for those who need to catch up