Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Lyon's Den - Series Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Lyon's Den - Series Premiere

I liked it. Rob Lowe has a real confidence in the part. It's like "The Firm" as a TV series. I'm surprised they didn't try to get Grishman involved.

I'll continue to watch it. I hope Picardo is part of the weekly cast.
Old 09-28-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cool, glad to hear someone likes it. seeing as how i missed this are there any plans to rerun this on bravo?
Old 09-28-03, 10:50 PM

I thought the episode was decent enough. It did remind me of the Firm a lot. Obviously there's lots of stuff going on in that law firm and I only hope that they can tell it all well enough that the viewer doesn't get too confused, or worse yet, bored.

Overall, I'd give the show a solid B. We'll have to see how it goes from here.

I do have to say that from the previews for next week, I'm a bit dissapointed that Rob Lowe's character will be trying cases. I thought it would be a pretty cool idea to have a tv show about what goes on, behind the scenes, at a law firm, without showing cases. Sort of like the West Wing or Sports Night. There are tons of shows out there with lawyers, but none that I can think of that really focus on the office politics and back-stabbing maneuvers that go on in high power law firms. I would have liked to see that and less time on Lowe's character actually trying cases, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-28-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I actually said to myself during the episode: "Law & Order: Lyon's Den"

But i'm willing to look past it. Also the red-wigged lady was a little too over the top evil... She was playing it like Cruella Deville.
Old 09-28-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get who Lyon was in the show. I thought Rob Lowe's character was named Lyon, but he's a Turner.

Besides that, it was an interesting show; I give it a DSP rating. (Definite Season Pass)
Old 09-29-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked this more than I would have thought. I believe it has some potential with the cast, particular Lowe/Craven/Mitchell for me, and storylines. The writing didn't solely focus on the situations and reflected characters a little rather than just for the sake of the plot.

The way the Kyle Chandler/Frances Fisher characters begun were too one dimensional and I found that portion of the writing weaker than it should have been.

Overall, it left me thinking it has some potential in the characters without just becoming a by the numbers show.
Old 09-29-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished watching it ("I TiVOed it, I taped it, I brought it in."). Its definitely interesting and left me wanting to tune in next week to see what happens next. As for the trying cases, I can see that being used to lure in non-regular viewers; the office politics and back-stabbing is the kind of stuff that will appeal to those that watch everyweek, whereas the cases (which from the preview look liked theyd be over with by the end of the hour) will entertain the casual viewer.
Old 09-29-03, 02:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I really enjoyed it.

I agree that hopefully they'll concentrate more on the behind the scenes stuff on the law firm instead of the cases.

The only thing I didn't like was how it was obvious the other brother was going to be the one who was the killer instead of the one that was going to be tried.
Old 09-29-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was watching it I kept thinking Christianson looked like Director Kersh from The X-Files, but decided that I was wrong. And then I was just looking on IMDb and found it was him...pretty weird.
Old 09-29-03, 09:48 AM

I ended up turning this off at about the 10:40 point - I still don't understand why they kept calling him Jack instead of Sam!
Old 09-29-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it did a good job of just diving right in (pardon the pun) and set up a lot of conflicts between ambition and responsibilities that is foisted upon the less ambitious. It's definitely hit the ground running. Plus, I will probably watch anything with Elizabeth Mitchell in it.

I chuckled at the line "I'm not into politics."

Last edited by Patman; 09-29-03 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed it. The suicide/possible murder plotline is interesting to follow.
Old 09-29-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crap, I forgot all about it. If I had my frickin Tivo...

Last edited by Boot; 09-29-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, did anybody else think Rip Torn looked like a freakin' alien? That's one guy who definitely should NOT be in HD.
Old 09-30-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Decent show. Good to see Rip Torn back on television. Loved him on Larry Sanders.
Old 09-30-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Also, did anybody else think Rip Torn looked like a freakin' alien? That's one guy who definitely should NOT be in HD.
Maybe, but I love the guy. Great actor. "Exciting stuff!"
Old 09-30-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Meteu185
I ended up turning this off at about the 10:40 point - I still don't understand why they kept calling him Jack instead of Sam!
Me too. I was hoping for a show more in the spirit of The Firm...instead it's like The Practice with a hint of The Firm thrown in. I don't need another Practice...