Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

JOAN of ARCADIA - tonight

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JOAN of ARCADIA - tonight

On CBS tonight is the premiere of JOAN OF ARCADIA.

Joe Mantegna, Mary Steenburgen, and John Ritter's son star along with Amber Tamblyn in a series about a girl who talks to God.

I love this show! I think anyone who likes shows like Everwood or My So-Called Life will love it, too.

Anyone planning on tuning in?
Old 09-26-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm not quite sure what to expect, and I'm a bit put off by the Friday night timeslot, but for some reason, I get the feeling this is going to be worth watching and deeper than the previews show. Comparison to Everwood and My So-Called Life is certainly high praise.

das
Old 09-26-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What if God was one of us......
Old 09-26-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I'm looking forward to it, especially now that someone in the tv industry is comparing it to MSCL.
Old 09-26-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What if God smoked Canibus.....
Old 09-26-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
And then wrote a TV pilot....

Disclaimer: I am not comparing this show to MSCL in the sense of "JOA is as good or better than MSCL."

I am simply saying that if you liked MSCL, then I think you will like this show.

My So-Called Life is one of my All-Time Top 10 dramas.
Old 09-26-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whenever there's a promo for Joan of Arcadia, I tell my wife it's a spin-off of the film Bruce Almighty but she doesn't beleive me. She's smart.
Old 09-26-03, 03:46 PM

I will definitely be tuning in tonight. The premise looks very interesting.
Old 09-26-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't stand not owning a Tivo: I want to watch this, but I also want to watch the 3 other shows that are on in the same time slot! Argh!
Old 09-26-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by BoatDrinks
What if God was one of us......
Is this the actual "Theme song" for the show, or is it just playing during the promos for it? Guess we'll all find out in a few hours.
Old 09-26-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't they know from Dogma that God cannot take human form and talk to people like this without killing them?

I would be more interested in this show if Joan witnessed her sister being raped and killed by a rival high school, started to hear "voices" from "God" and became bent on killing the students at the rival high school then, in the last episode, is bured at a stake. That would be a helluva interesting show. Touched By an Angel with a little Everwood thrown in sounds like a bad idea.
Old 09-26-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I PVR'ed Miss Match for the gf instead . Damn women :shakes fist:!
Old 09-26-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Drove a mini microbus...
Old 09-26-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Been interested in seeing more of Amber Tamblyn since stumbling across the interview she did with her father in the Twin Peaks DVD box set (those who have found it will know what I'm talking about).

Episode was not as interesting as it should have been. The actor playing "God" was not good. I thought it would be OK since the concept of the show is that he appears as different people, but the same guy is in the preview for next week. I guess that's going to be his fallback 'form'. Too bad.

Is it just me, or was anyone else completely surprised to see Mary Steenbergen and Joe Montegna in the cast? Did CBS advertise that at all?
Old 09-26-03, 10:23 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
I can't stand not owning a Tivo: I want to watch this, but I also want to watch the 3 other shows that are on in the same time slot! Argh!
A Tivo wouldn't help. It can only record one show at a time unless you have Directivo and even that can only record 2 shows. This is one of the reasons I still don't have one. When I first heard about dvr's, I thought they would be able to tape multiple shows at once. I was so let down when I heard they couldn't.

To get back on topic, I liked this show. I was annoyed by some of the police aspects. I'm so tired of generic police shows. Also, the music was pretty bad. Still, I liked the writing and most of the acting, including the default god guy. The show seemed to go by faster than an hour which is usually a good sign.
Old 09-26-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey. That's my old high school.

Apparently filmed in El Segundo, CA
Old 09-27-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoever was in charge of the music should be fired, or at least punched.

The show was frustratingly unsatisfying. It was also a bit on the cheesy side, which shows like "Everwood" usually manage to avoid. Also, I can't say I enjoyed the whole crime subplot too much. We'll see...
Old 09-27-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Am I to believe that BoatDrinks would like to come over to Sony?
Old 09-27-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nny
A Tivo wouldn't help. It can only record one show at a time unless you have Directivo and even that can only record 2 shows. This is one of the reasons I still don't have one. When I first heard about dvr's, I thought they would be able to tape multiple shows at once. I was so let down when I heard they couldn't.
I have a DVR through TWC and I was able to record both Joan of Arcadia and Miss Match (yeah, shoot me...it wasnt that good). Of course when recording two programs, I can only watch one of those two programs.

I thought the show was alright...yeah, I dont like the teen "God" guy, but I was laughing my a$$ off when that black woman was God. Its got potential with a great cast and since Amber Tamblyn is hot.
Old 09-27-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, I watched this a little while ago.

it wasn't a show that I set my VCR for [yes, VCR ::hangs head in shame:: ]...but I was home, so I figured - what the hell - and hit the record button..

I had to get over my predisposed anger at Amber for not agreeing to go back to GH [but considering how bad that show has gotten - to the point where I could care less if I catch it or not - it seems she made a wise decision].

ANYways...i'd have to say I didn't have a problem with it. The music didn't bother me. Both incarnations of "God" didn't bother me. I'm glad they didn't resort to a cheesy "I felt that" moment with her brother. And I agree about the serial killer plot...but am willing to see where it leads. Oh, and I did like the bookstore owner. One gripe...the name of the show. Don't like it.

As with some other shows i've watched at the beginning of this season, I wouldn't go out of my way to see it...but, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid it either..

and this isn't a reflection of the show..it's just i'm tired of getting attached to shows that networks might deem disposable...

[Keen Eddie being the last example...shut up, das]
Old 09-27-03, 03:20 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I liked it, but I agree with most here about the cop elements. I am curious to see what kind of formula the show falls into. I'd rather not see from week to week how isolated incidents (like a job at a bookstore) alter people's lives. That'd be a little too similar to the "freak of the week" formula. I'd like to see some ongiong continuity in it, meaning maybe a decision made in one episode creates an ongiong plot line with a significance that can't even be seen (or expected) until many episodes later. Or maybe a sequence of decisions over the course of the series that converges at the end and it all comes together like a puzzle that you didn't even know existed until it falls into place.
Of course, this is a bit too much speculation based on just a first episode.
Old 09-27-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z

Is it just me, or was anyone else completely surprised to see Mary Steenbergen and Joe Montegna in the cast? Did CBS advertise that at all?
I had seen their names mentioned a few times, and that, along with some good reviews, is why I watched. If they can keep the writing sharp and on the acerbic side, it will take the edge off the potentially sappy scenarios.
Old 09-27-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was bizarre how this show tries to balance Joan's encounter with God, and the unseedy side of criminal behavior (and her encounter with evil).

But, hey, it's good to see that Malucci (from ER) has a job again.
Old 09-27-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman
But, hey, it's good to see that Malucci (from ER) has a job again.
Ah, THAT'S who that was. It was bugging me the whole time. Thanks.

I really liked the show. The cop opening did throw me a bit (I thought maybe I had recorded the wrong channel), but it didn't dominate the show too much. I can live with it as long as the show doesn't become 'Joan unwittingly catches a killer' every week. Still, I enjoyed it and liked the fact that her action was shown to have more than one possitive effect and that she still didn't know all the reasons for it at the end of the episode.

Originally posted by Rogue588
One gripe...the name of the show. Don't like it.
What would you call it? Joan of Arc had visions of God. The title makes perfect sense to me.

I only hope that the similar name doesn't mean that Joan will
Spoiler:
be burned at the steak in the series finalie.
Old 09-27-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
I only hope that the similar name doesn't mean that Joan will
Spoiler:
be burned at the steak in the series finalie.
Mmmmmmm, steak

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.