Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Capcom takes the wraps off its new Street Fighter compilation.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/h...s_6075764.html

Hyper Street Fighter II unveiled

In preparation for the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, Capcom has held a brief meeting to discuss a handful of its upcoming games. One of those games is a new Street Fighter II compilation, which is planned to release as a part of the 15th anniversary of the original Street Fighter II*.

Rather than merely compile all of the Street Fighter II games onto one disc and release it as your basic arcade compilation, Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition will combine all the different versions of each Street Fighter II character and place them into one game. The game will use the character sprites found in the last game to bear the Street Fighter II name, Super Street Fighter II Turbo. But you'll be able to go back and choose, say, Ken from the original Street Fighter II, before his dragon punch had its additional reach and his hurricane kick performed multiple hits. The character select screen, also modeled after SSF2T, will first ask you which game you'd like to choose from, offering the choice of World Warriors, Champion Edition, Turbo, Super, and Super Turbo. From there you'll select your character. Icons will appear on screen in place of the Super Turbo installment's super meter, denoting which version of a character you've selected.

In addition to the fighting itself, Hyper Street Fighter II will also feature a gallery mode, which will contain artwork, opening and ending sequences from all the games, and credits for the various installments. Background information on the Street Fighter II games will also be available, as will a complete anime feature, which was originally released in 1994.

The game's producer, Kenji Itsuno, was on hand to show off the upcoming PlayStation 2 title, and he also stated that a separate strategy DVD, showing off all the different combos and tricks found throughout the series, is also in the works. Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition is currently scheduled to be released to the Japanese market in December.

By Jeff Gerstmann, GameSpot [POSTED: 09/25/03 12:09 AM]
*replace '15th' with '10th' and it will make a lot more sense... and you'll feel a lot less old!

EDIT: hmm... SFII: The World Warrior, was released in 1991... which would make 15 years 2006... this is starting to make less and less sense...

Last edited by mkdevo; 09-26-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wish they'd make a new SF game instead of rereleasing SF II several hundred times.
Old 09-26-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish Capcom would just put out a new SF, but since I don't have any copies of SF2 or it's many other incarnations I will be interested in picking this up, especially if it's as good as Capcom vs Marvel 2.
Old 09-26-03, 09:08 AM

I don't know about this idea, I would just prefer the seperate versions. All the same i'll give it a try when it comes out.
Old 09-26-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Online play would be the only thing to make this worth releasing again.
Old 09-26-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
SILENCE ALL OF YOU NON-BELIEVERS!! Go back to your DOA3 and Tekken crap, I'll gladly take this any day

to get to play as everyone?

Old 09-26-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
Holy Carp 15 years?! Or 13 whatever.

Wouldn't that seriously affect the balance of the game.
Old 09-26-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh, this sounds like typical Capcom rehash. They're just slapping everything together and not improving it.

I'll probably end up buying it, too.

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 09-26-03 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:38 PM

PS2 only? What the heck?!
That sucks.
Old 09-27-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Eh, this sounds like typical Capcom rehash. They're just slapping everything together and not improving it.

I'll probably end up buying it, too.

but how can you improve on perfection?
Old 09-27-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
2 Words: Xbox Live.
Old 09-27-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

that could be helpful, but if you are really looking for a street fighter online challange I hear there is plenty of Street Fighter II online hacks.
Old 09-27-03, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Third Strike.

If this new SF2 was online with decent servers, I'd probably drop out of society.
Old 09-27-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

third strike was fun and up there on my list, but it still doesn't have a lot of the classic characters.
Old 09-27-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Capcom should have at least went with the "Mario All-Stars" treatment and updated the graphics...

I thought 3rd strike had great gameplay, but most of the new character designs were crap.
Old 09-27-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You must have missed the part where they said that the characters are going to contain the original art because it shows the difference in characters.

I personally wouldn't want street fighter II looking like Alpha or III. the street fighter series has a lot of different looks from series to series. I'm glad they are keeping the graphics the same.
Old 09-27-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what is this? Super Street Fighter Mega Hyper Turbo Extreme Alpha plus ex II?
Old 09-27-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
C'mon guys, this is actually pretty cool.

Sure, a new one would be nice, but I'll take a cool compilation disc as well. Picking from each game's characters is a pretty neat idea.