Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House Hunters

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
House Hunters

Lately, I have not been able to get near the TV until my wife goes to bed. She is addicted to watching House Hunters and is recording every episode (and there are apparently several) on TiVO. I guess it's because we recently moved into our first home and she's facinated by the process, but could a show be any more repetitive or formulaic? I guess this is a rant, but is there anyone out there who watches it that can tell me what I'm missing?
Old 09-25-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Will their offer be accepted? Find out next on House Hunters!"

I liked that show too but I stopped watching because it was so repetitive. They always saw two houses they hated, and then the third one was perfect. Then they put in an offer, and wait... And then the camera crew always just happened to be there when the realtor's call came through. "I got the house! Yay!" And then fast-forward 4 weeks later... "Well. it's been 4 weeks and I have managed to re-finish the floors, gut the kitchen, and add an addition. Now it's home!"

And what's with all the homes they look at being empty? There must be a lot of people in Southern Califirnia getting bridge loans or something. When I looked for a house only about 1 out of 10 houses I looked at were completely emprty. Most had people that still lived there. Makes me think the show is even more staged. They must find find empty houses to film in, or go back and film once the "dream house" has been found.

I also wish they would have gotten out of California for once. It would probably be mroe interesting to see homes in other parts of the country, you know?
Old 09-25-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
They must find find empty houses to film in, or go back and film once the "dream house" has been found.
I have the same theory. I always look for clues, but have never been able to "prove" this to my wife.
Old 09-25-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
"I liked that show too but I stopped watching because it was so repetitive. They always saw two houses they hated, and then the third one was perfect.

And what's with all the homes they look at being empty? There must be a lot of people in Southern Califirnia getting bridge loans or something. When I looked for a house only about 1 out of 10 houses I looked at were completely emprty.
I started watching this show because my husband and I were seriously looking for a house. The "third house is the dream house" really started getting on my nerves as well, especially since at that point we'd looked at about 30 and none were remotely dreamy. Currently, we are still in an apartment.

Where I live it's the opposite, we only saw 1 house of the approximate 30 that were occupied. We saw so many that were empty that it was weird when we had to make an appointment with the homeowners and the realtor.
Old 09-25-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another nit on the show. . .

How many times can they repeat the same thing on each episode. "The Smiths have been living in their 1 bedroom apt. for 3 yrs and they're looking to start a family. They want a house in a good neighborhood with 3 bedrooms, and room for Mr. Smith's collection of antique beer steins."

Also, is everybody in SoCal looking for houses with "character?"

Also, everything is a "challenge" for the realtor.

Also, how many houses just came on the market 1/2 hour ago.

Uh, oh. Just realized that I must've been paying attention all of those times my wife had it on. Killing self now.
Old 09-25-03, 11:38 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched for awhile then I got really agravated that they would never give price ranges and some of these people were buying huge houses the first ones they would show were trashy then they would find a georgeous house " In their Price Range" I always wanted to know what that range was.
Old 09-25-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. If I would've watched this show before I bought my house I would've probably shot the TV.
Old 09-25-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Worst. Show. Ever.

I seriously loathe that show, for all the reasons stated above, plus one - that inane theme music.

I cannot begin to understand why they pretend the realtor's final phone call is captured spontaneously - are we to believed HGTV just HAPPENED to be in the garden with them when the phone rang?
Old 09-25-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
Worst. Show. Ever.

I seriously loathe that show, for all the reasons stated above, plus one - that inane theme music.

I cannot begin to understand why they pretend the realtor's final phone call is captured spontaneously - are we to believed HGTV just HAPPENED to be in the garden with them when the phone rang?
Wife: "We got the house, honey!"
Husband: "High five."

Uda Hagen would be proud.