Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Zelda madness in 2004!! The anticipation thread..

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-25-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2004 looks to be a great year for Zelda fans.. discuss.

Starting this Christmas, if the rumors prove true, the Zelda bonus disc!! The NES Zelda 1 and 2, Ocraina of Time and Majora's Mask.. if it had Link to the Past, this would be a perfect disc. I'm most looking forward to finally playing Majora's Mask. After enjoying Ocarina of Time, I borrowed a friend's N64 to play it, but couldn't do it.. don't know why, probably because I hate the controller. I think they dropped the bomb with this game, the concept is WAY cool, but the execution sucks. The amount of asanine errands and collecting in this game and the lack of dungeons hurts it. The time concept, and moving away from the Gannon/Zelda story is great!! Here's hoping my second chance with the game will be better.

I know a lot of people won't be as excited about this as I am (I can't help it if I actually have friends to play video games with!!) but the GC Four Swords is going to rock. I actually still play Four Swords every now and then.. and a full four play game is just too much fun. To be honest, from what I've seen of the game I am really hoping they are putting MUCH more work into it. I have no doubts though, that Nintendo will elevate past the GBA version and give us something worth of a GC game. I'm a little turned off about having to use your GBA as a controller though; not because my friends don't have them (most of them do), but you also need to GBA->GC link cable, and that, only a couple of us have. I'm sure the end result will be great, but it does seem to be a little much required to play a game with 4 people.

Tetra's Trackers.. ANOTHER multi-player Zelda that REQUIRES all players to have a GBA and a link cable. This one looks much less interesting that Four Swords, at least fomr the little they've released.. I honestly hope it's on the same disc as Four Swords, as I'm not sure either game would be enough to pay a full GC price for, espically considering the extra crap you need to play.

Wind Waker 2 (obviously it will be called something else). Thank GOD they didn't listen to the whining 12 year olds and are keeping the Wind Waker style graphics, espically considering I think that game has the best graphics of any game I've ever played, nothing comes close. Miyamoto has stated that the game will offer something different for Zelda fans this time. Hopefully they mean different gameplay elements while staying true to what made OoT and WW great, and keeping away from the retarded errand boy style of Majora's Mask and parts of Wind Waker. If it does end up being a direct sequel to Wind Waker, I hope they cut out, or down, on the sailing. It was fun, but we already had that game. I think a good idea would be to be able to guide both Link and Tetra through the game. I think it'd be awesome if they split it up so that parts of the game have you playing the characters seperate, and part of it with them together, kinda like having the 2nd characters in Wind Waker, though WITHOUT having to play a song to switch characters. Just a thought of mine.. I think it would be something different while keeping true to the Zelda style game.

Unnamed Zelda Game by Capcom for GBA. They handled Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages quite nice. I loved how the both games seperate stories strayed away from "Gannon kidnaps Zelda", but gives you that option if you choose to link and play both of them. Very well done. Would it be greedy to hope they do another dual game? All I know, if the graphics are as good as they were in Four Swords, the game is already off to a most excellent start. NOW WHY ARE THEY BEING SO QUIET ABOUT IT?! (It's been worked on since they finished the Oracle games, with a small break to create Four Swords mini-game on LttP). Argh.

Anyway.. enough rambling for now.. here's my anticipation level for each game, on a scale of 1 to 5.

Bonus Disc: ***
Four Swords GC: ****
Tetra's Trakers: **

Wind Waker 2: ************
GBA/Capcom Game: *****

Feel free to discuss what you'd like to see in at least the main 2 games coming out (Wind Waker 2 and GBA Game).
Old 09-25-03, 08:17 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
In WW2 I sure hope we see the two dungeons that they reportedly cut to appease the younger masses. That's what was so disappointing to me... knowing that there was more.

If they kept the current Link and just added the OoT time travel element that would be a nice touch. Since most of the planet is covered by water, going back to different periods in time may lower the water level and reveal new areas, maps, entrances and what not... being able to explore the rest of Ancient Hyrule would rock (like in OoT).

I'd definately be interested in the further adventures of Link... but please add a spoken dialogue track, you have the resources and the storage space!

As for GBA Zelda games... I'll pass... I love playing ALttP on my GC/GB player, but I've had it with the top-view RPGs of yesteryear. After I beat ALttP its going up for auction.

... oh, one more thing about WW2... Bring back Shadow Link!
Old 09-25-03, 08:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hard to get excited about the bonus disc until they announce what they are going to do (if anything) for people who already have Cubes.
Old 09-25-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First things first: ZELDA IS NOT AN RPG!!

I think the possible plot point discussed was exactly what happened in the end of Wind Waker, Link and Tetra going off to find a new land. So it wouldn't be taking place in Hyrule. The time-travel thing IS cool, but it's been done in 4 Zelda games already. I think if they're trying to go a different direction, it probably wouldn't be too wise to do that.

I'm going to disagree on the spoken dialouge though. It would slow down the game too much, Zelda is not an RPG, so I'd much rather get through the parts where story is being told quickly and get back to exploring, puzzle solving, and killing monsters. Character voices have never been Nintendo's strong point as far as I am concerned.

Mmm.. Shadow Link.. I thought the battle system in Wind Waker kicked so much ass!! A long, gruesome battle with a Shadow Link would rock. Excellent suggestion.

It's too bad you'll skip the new GBA game just because of how it looks, but that's your decision.
Old 09-25-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Hard to get excited about the bonus disc until they announce what they are going to do (if anything) for people who already have Cubes.
Bingo. Things aren't going to well at the moment with my girlfriend, so I'm already pretty sure I won't be buying one for Christmas at this point. But as previously stated, even IF it only comes with the Cube, I'm sure there will be plenty of copies dumped ad Gamestop. Think of the number of people who will get Cubes for thier kids or something, and be like "This game looks like crap, it must suck! Take it back!!"..

I would die if they gave Ocarina of Time a complete makeover for the Cube. The higher resolution is nice, 3D graphics do not age well at all, and it still shows it's age.
Old 09-25-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Every day since the rumors first started coming out, I've searched for an official announcement of the new bonus disc, but alas, so far I have been disappointed. If it turns out to be false.... oh the pain.
Old 09-25-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well.. the plus side is Nintendo hasn't debunked the rumor.. considering it's floating around every news site, I would think if it was false they would've at least said something.
Old 09-25-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah, that has made me cautiously optimistic. I've been let down before though, so I'm trying not to get too excited... yet.

Mmmm.... Majora's Mask
Old 09-25-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to get this bonus disc somehow if it comes out. I really don't need to buy a third GameCube, but I'm sure people will trade in the bonus disc.
Old 09-25-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I consider Zelda an RPG. I want the bonus disc. I'd buy a GC to get it. Wind Waker's graphics still stink
Old 09-25-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the game needs a voice track. Everyone probably has a different impression of what Link would sound like, and if the voice they chose didn't match that, it would distract from the game. I felt this way about Super Mario Sunshine with Bowser's voice. It just sounded stupid.
Old 09-26-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am one of those whining 12 year olds that think this game needs to go back to the graphics that video at E3 2002 showed us. I still remember how bad ass that looked. I do like this style, but would rather see that old style of graphics presented at the show.
Old 09-26-03, 12:47 PM
Retired

I agree with Miyamoto. The cel-shading is perfect for games that feature young Link. And this is coming from someone that generally doesn't care for cel shading.

He also said that if he makes another game with an adult Link, cel shading wouldn't fit.

I'm guessing we'll see a non-cel shaded adult Link game with the next Nintendo system.

They need to get the next GC Zelda out relatively quick, so it makes sense to do another cel shaded one as they can just tweak the existing engine.
Old 09-26-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
Is the WW2 coming out next year?

I think if the deal is real than the better option would be to buy the GCN and sell it rather than buy the game used (if you have the money of course). Since EB is selling the other promo disc for what $35? I wouldn't imagine that it would be too difficult to sell a GCN around Christmas for less then $65.
Old 09-26-03, 01:21 PM
Retired

They're supposed to be working on a new Zelda using that engine (and a new mario game for that matter). No release dates have been announced for either though. I'd expect late 2004 to summer 2005 as the likely range.