Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What SNES (or other) classics would you like to see on GBA?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So.. I'm playing through Link to the Past for what seems like the 6th time already on GBA, and with the upcoming SMB3 release, I've been thinking of some other classic games that would be great to have a portable version of.

Obvious to any one who's seen me post in the numerous "[xxx]'s 100 Greatest Game" threads, my first choice would be Super Metroid. Why? Well because it's the greatest game of all time, duh. I would be happy with a direct port, but I have some ideas that would be nice additions. First it would be nice to have a diffuculty selection, even if it's just Normal and Hard. Instead of the 3 endings in the game, we could take a cue from Fusion and add 2 for 100% item colection (I'd say for over and under 2 hour), plus make the ending pictures different for Hard mode, and include an image gallery that lets you see all the endings you've unlocked (ala Japanese release of Metroid Fusion). I can't imagine anything adding to the main game to make it any better, since it's perfect and all.. but I think a new mini-game or something would be nice.. something like a "Challenge Mode" where you go through a few rooms fighting an ONSLAUGHT of enemies with limited weaponry.. *sigh* a guy can dream, can't he?

I know this isn't a SNES game, but Gunstar Heroes is a yummy game. I think this would be PERFECT for GBA, the game is pretty short but one where you get better the more you play and move up diffuculty levels.

Now, Dragon Warrior 1-3 have all been released for Gameboy (non-Advance) with SEVERAL additions and improvements. That leaves the next game in line, and my personal favorite RPG of all time, to hopefully be released, Dragon Warrior 4. Since this was released on the PSX a couple of years ago (AND NOT BROUGHT TO USA, ENIX = BASTARDS) I think it'd be safe to say that everything added to that would be spot-perfect for the GBA version, minus the poor 3D overworld maps. I think everything else would port right over without problem including the delcious monster animations as I was REALLY surprised to see that even though the size and colors were scaled down in DW3 from it's SNES couterpart, EVERY frame of animation was there and it was NICE. More than anything I'd just like to play the new chapter 6 in ENGLISH.

Spoiler:
Chapter 6 rocks, since Saro joins your party to take on the new lsat boss!!

So.. what games from the 8 or 16-bit era would you like to have to play on the go? What improvements or additions would you suggest? ..and yes, EVERYBODY wants Final Fantasy 2 and 3, and Chrono Trigger.. so unless you have a good idea for something to add, we already know we all want them ported.
Old 09-24-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Mario RPG
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force I and II collection
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Snatcher/Policenauts

Jeremy
Old 09-24-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

NONE.

STOP the ports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely losing interest in the GBA because most of the good games are just PORTS of out SNES games that I have already finished. Geez, not even an original Mario game?!??!

Come on, some originality, people! More WarioWare and less SMB3/Zelda ports - yuck,
Old 09-24-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got bored of Wario Ware after 2 weeks, never touched it since.
I am on my 6th game of Zelda. (+100 times on SNES).

Sometimes older games offer more than newer games, adding portibility further increases that value to some. Besides, if you really think ports of exsisting games are taking time away from development of new titles, you're crazy. There are still plenty of new games coming out. Nintendo has released SNES ports, they have also released Metroid Fusion, Ware Ware, Pokemon R/S, Kirby in Nightmare Land, among others, and have plenty of new games coming up includng Mario Golf, Mario & Luigi, a new Zelda, a new Metroid.. Capcom has released ports of thier old games but still makes new ones, as does Konami.

Do you only plays games to beat them once?
Old 09-24-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrutz
Super Mario RPG
Phantasy Star IV
Shining Force I and II collection
Lunar: Eternal Blue
Snatcher/Policenauts

Jeremy
You will be happy to hear (as am I) that Shining Force I and II is coming.
Old 09-24-03, 11:09 AM
Retired

Personally, I'd rather see new games or sequels as I don't game on the go much and can just go on ebay and buy the classics for my SNES which I still have hooked up.
Old 09-24-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actraiser
Old 09-24-03, 11:29 AM
Retired

Originally posted by PixyJunket

Do you only plays games to beat them once?
More or less. The really great ones I'll try to get 100% and do everything in them. It's rare that I replay a game after that though.

The truly, super great ones I'll replay a few years down the road.

There's just too many games out there for me too keep up with, much less spend my little free time replaying something I've already completed.
Old 09-24-03, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unfortunately for me I sold my SNES back in 1996 along with about 30 games, which included some of my all-time favorite games like FF2(FF4), FF3(FF6), Chrono Trigger, Actraiser, Zelda:LTTP, Super Mario RPG, Harvest Moon, Mario World, Mario All-Stars, Lufia...and many others. Was in a tough situation that year and really didn't have a choice....big mistake though. So, I wouldn't mind any of the above titles I mentioned ported to the GBA.

EDIT: errr I wouldn't mind any of the titles mentioned above ported EXCEPT for Super Mario World and Zelda: LTTP because I already have them on the GBA

Last edited by Setzer; 09-24-03 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 12:18 PM

Yeah Nintendo shouldn't port more games so people who didn't get to play great games like SMB3 and Zelda won't get to on their current systems with added bonuses/upgrades and portability .

A good game is a good game no matter how old it is. The fact that people still love it and it is a testament to how great they really are. I don't see that many ports in comparison to new games. If you don't want to buy them thats fine, but if it helps business and they are good games, I say bring'em on!! I love being able to play SMW on the go for car and plane trips

I will second Super Mario RPG, I loved that game. The other game I wanted (Earthbound) has already been ported along with Earthbound Zero, but they haven't said anything or announced anything about a US release damnit!
Old 09-24-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly...i'd rather see some orginal games or ports of past games that never made it to the US.
Old 09-24-03, 01:06 PM

I have an SNES. It works. Zelda, Mario All-Stars, Breath of Fire, etc. - I have them, and I've finished them. If I want to play them again, I'd play them on the big screen!

The GBA is an incredible yawn-fest full of shovelware.

I do second, however:

1. Ports of Genesis games like Shining Force
2. Ports of Japanese-only SNES games - Romancing Saga 3 and Bahamut Lagoon would be nice
Old 09-24-03, 01:13 PM
Retired

Just to clarify, I'm not against the ports. I just think the GBA is lacking in original games, especially from Nintendo.

I mean they've given us 4 mario ports, isn't it past time for a new 2-)mario game (no spinoffs)?

Like Grimfarrow, I still have an SNES, can pick up the classics cheaper than ports, and prefer to play on my tv than on the GBA. I play my GBA games 99.9% of the time on the GBA Player now.
Old 09-24-03, 01:25 PM

Super Star Wars Collection.
Old 09-24-03, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2. Ports of Japanese-only SNES games - Romancing Saga 3 and Bahamut Lagoon would be nice
Treasure Hunter G would also be nice
Old 09-24-03, 01:47 PM

I never owned an SNES, so the GBA gives me a chance to play some incredible games that I missed the first time around. Currently playing thru Yoshi's Island. which is amazing, and would LOVE to play Super Metroid!
Old 09-24-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

f-zero

not that maximum velocity crap!
Old 09-24-03, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
MC Kids
Metroid/Super Metroid
Mario RPG
Pretty much any official Nintendo title.
Old 09-25-03, 02:06 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
NONE.

STOP the ports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am completely losing interest in the GBA because most of the good games are just PORTS of out SNES games that I have already finished. Geez, not even an original Mario game?!??!

Come on, some originality, people! More WarioWare and less SMB3/Zelda ports - yuck,

This sums up my thoughts.

People that are "for" remakes, get excited about them and request more, suffer from some kind of mental imbalance. To pay for the same game multiple times makes one wonder.

Still, it makes sense for little kids to buy them since they weren't around back then. Too bad Mario 3 won't be as magical to them as it was to us 20-something year olds.
Old 09-25-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
MC Kids
Was that the McDonald's game on Genesis that was made by Treasure? The one with all the slime? I remember that actually being a good game.
Old 09-25-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay for those who owned an original SNES (I didn't):

Kid Chameleon
Comix Zone
Alex Kidd (why don't they bring this franchise back for next-gen platforms??? WHY!!!)
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Splatterhouse Collection
Streets of Rage Collection
Powerball...Powerball...POWERBALL!!
Any of the classic Disney Genesis platformers (Aladdin, Lion King)
Beyond Oasis
Landstalker
King of the Monsters
Sonic 3D Blast (with save points, please!)

Okay, and ONE more SNES game:
Super Robot Wars - PLEASE come to the US!!!

Jeremy
Old 09-25-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm all for the ports--it gives another generation of kids a chance to experience some of the truly great games we had on SNES in the early to mid-90's. That being said, I'd love to see:

Secret Of Mana
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Battletoads
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Baseball 2020
Old 09-25-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

shadowrun
Old 09-25-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeremy,

I have a Wonder Boy in Monster Land arcade machine.

One of the best games ever made.
Old 09-25-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see ****hunt on GBA, just so they can say they did it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.