Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDFile review of The Lion King

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://dvdfile.com/software/review/d.../lionking.html
Looks pretty interesting, though a little disappointing in some places - oh well, as long as the picture and sound are top notch.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 09-24-03 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you really need to copy/paste the whole thing
Old 09-24-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, but I'm more of a DVDTalk guy. They don't need the traffic!
Old 09-24-03, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet! they gave it the highest rating for both video and audio..

..and the best part is that my copy shipped on monday! hopefully it will be MINE ALL MINE on friday.
Old 09-24-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why di$ney had to make confusing as hell menus is beyond me, just give us a tad bit of animation and then the menu.
Old 09-24-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rypro 525
why di$ney had to make confusing as hell menus is beyond me, just give us a tad bit of animation and then the menu.
Big title, "needs big menus". Can't stand animated menus myself, I consider them akin to FBI screens and trailers - skip 'em if you can.
Old 09-24-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the review says that the new home theater mix has almost 100% new elements. does that mean that they got the voice actors to come back and re do their lines again.
Old 09-24-03, 09:17 AM

the review says that the new home theater mix has almost 100% new elements...

No...It doesn't say that.
Old 09-24-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm wondering how the picture can look so good, when it has FOUR 5.1 tracks...

(it says "French and Spanish 5.1 Surround dubs". Perhaps that applies only to the Spanish, but that's still THREE 5.1 tracks...)
Old 09-24-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne

(it says "French and Spanish 5.1 Surround dubs". Perhaps that applies only to the Spanish, but that's still THREE 5.1 tracks...)
Not to beat a dead horse, but maybe the same way some people can fit a DTS, DD and a couple of dub tracks on a flick and have an incredible image, but something like The Phantom Menace only has a DD track due to space limitations, and is plagued with EE.

I'm convinced there are not only different programs for compressing the transfers, but different operators that know some tricks the others don't.

Edit:
Also, the review mentions a "parody" trailer for LK 1.5. Isn't that for real?

Last edited by milo bloom; 09-24-03 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne

I don't have the disc myself, but likely the foreign dubs are encoded at a much lower Dolby Digital bit rate than the main English 5.1 tracks.
Old 09-24-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

thankfully its the 1:66 oar anamorphic and not the rumored 1:85 anamorphic.
Old 09-24-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
thankfully its the 1:66 oar anamorphic and not the rumored 1:85 anamorphic.
More than likely, though, the movie was screened at 1.85:1 theatrically, even if the 1.66:1 image has more animation.
Old 09-24-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
Not to beat a dead horse, but maybe the same way some people can fit a DTS, DD and a couple of dub tracks on a flick and have an incredible image, but something like The Phantom Menace only has a DD track due to space limitations, and is plagued with EE.

I'm convinced there are not only different programs for compressing the transfers, but different operators that know some tricks the others don't.
i know. i'm still absolutely dumbfounded and amazed at how New Line's Platinum Edition of Se7en can fit a DD 5.1 track, a DTS 6.1 track and FOUR commentary tracks.. and the film is over 2 hours long. i'm sure the commentaries are low bitrate, but still.. amazing considering the video (and audio) is reference quality.
Old 09-24-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ctyner
More than likely, though, the movie was screened at 1.85:1 theatrically, even if the 1.66:1 image has more animation.
The movie was definitely animated in the 1.66:1 ratio, even if theaters may have matted it to 1.85:1.

No original theatrical cut, no making-of documentary, no trailers. Those are all disappointing. Someone posted a list of all the stuff missing from the laserdisc - . At least the movie should look and sound good, which after 6 1/2 years, is the least you can ask for.
Old 09-25-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just received my copy of The Lion King today and i've just very very briefly looked at it. first i'd like to say that the video is spectacular, absolutely flawless.. the new home theater mix sounds very interesting too, even on my stereo set-up i could hear a big difference between the regular and enhanced mixes so i can only imagine what it sounds like if you have the full 5.1 setup.

i just sent Peter Bracke an email too, as his review leaves out about half of all the extras, since he didn't bother to look through the continents section of the menu. that's where you'll find storyboard comparisons, art galleries aplenty, a featurette about the new home theater sound mix and TONS more. yeah, many of the continents share the same extras and link to the same stuff, but most of them, most notably North America i think, has exclusive extras so that's a big blooper on Bracke's part. hopefully he'll revisit it now that i emailed him, and add all the extras he ignored.

hmm.. what else.. oh, to switch between the two versions of the film, you have to go to the setup and sound selection.. you don't get to choose after hitting play in the main menu, which is kinda dumb. also, if you choose to play it with the enhanced sound mix, there's a little trailer (like the DD trailers only shorter) that plays before the film to announce you're playing the enhanced mix.

another thing, my copy has 2 english DD 5.1 tracks, a french DD 5.1 track and the commentary track in DD 1.0. no spanish dub, so that's one soundtrack less.. DVDfile's wrong about that part, or maybe the promotion discs came with one, but the final release skips it? i don't know.. there's no spanish DD 5.1 on my disc anyway.

lastly, like with the Beauty and the Beast release it comes with a slipcase over the keepcase that opens on the front with a velcro lock, and just like that previous release they have stickers RIGHT ON the case so you can't remove them unless you want a half-torn off sticker.. very annoying that they put them on the case and not just put them on the plastic.. which makes me think of another thing.. the keepcase was sealed, but there was no plastic over the cardboard slipcase..

this is an awesome release. i can't really think of anything except maybe DTS that this release is lacking. the new home theater mix seems to be pretty damn awesome though, so i'm sure no one except the die-hard DTS fans will sulk about it.
Old 09-25-03, 06:25 PM

The stickers on the box I got came off very easily. I got about a week ago and I have gone through about 90% of the package and it is amazing! Yes the docs leave something to be desired, but there is A LOT information to be taken in.

****/**** (out of four)

This is one of the best DVDs of the year.
Old 09-25-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is this the same comentary from the laserdisc or is this a new one?