TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wheee! New 120GB DTivo's available in stores

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 12:30 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Wheee! New 120GB DTivo's available in stores

So when I bought my 35hour Dtivo 3 years ago it was 400 dollars.

Worked like a champ.

Decided I needed more space, ordered from WeakKnees.com a new 120gb drive. However when I opened my box and added the drive it dun blowed up. Basically I have a dsr6000 and i can't add a drive to it and keep original settings.

They could change the drive to a Replace drive so I would only have 1 drive, there one.

not enough time to do this so ran out to Best Buy to get a new 35hr, and they had none, but they had this 100 Hour Samsung so I picked it up.

400 dollars, same price as a 35hour 3 years ago. It seems to run much faster through the menu's for adding season passes etc.

Also has all kinds of outputs on the back.. I guess it is a series 2 Dtivo.

The old one will be resurected and put to use when we get a 2nd tv, but for no it's sitting there.

This has only been in stores since the 14th or so. And there is a Philips version from C-City for 450.

I guess the service plan from CC is 30 dollars as compared with the 99 dollar Best Buy plan, so it's about the same cost
Old 09-24-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
granted, it's much cheaper than it was a few years ago, and it's great for someone who can't/doesn't want to upgrade, but i can't justify that cost..

just for my DirecTV installed last week - $99 for a 2-room system with one DTivo box (HDR2)... 40GB unit.. ordered a new 120GB drive for it for $59.99, and the mounting kit for ~$15... cost turns out to be ~$175 for a 160GB DTivo + a second DTV receiver...
Old 09-24-03, 09:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Yup my biggest problem was time.
But now I returned the drive to weakknees and will upgrade the dsr6000 at my leisure
Old 09-24-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm... I don't know if this is a hijack or not, but...

What do you attribute "dun blowed up" to?
Old 09-24-03, 01:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I had a 2 drive Tivo..

I took out the b drive and added in the new 120gb drive from weakknees

On restart I got the Green Screen of Death.

I replaced the B Drive restarted and Green Screen of Death.

I wanted to add capacity, all I would have been able to do in reality is to replace capacity. So there was no way I could add to my existing capacity, I lost a few shows, nothing much. yesterdays cycling, CSI Miami.

So basically I think I broke the mirror and then when I replaced the drive the mirror was gone.

one drive was a 30gb and the other was a 15gb, mirror might not be the correct term, but I was in a hurry to get back up in action. So a new purchase was the quickest fix.
Old 09-24-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bdb wears wool socks on his carpet.
Old 09-24-03, 01:12 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

No carpet in my place

Swap File: When increasing your total recording capacity (A+B drives) to over ~140GB (actual threshold number is likely just over 150GB for Series 1 Standalones and over 180GB for DirecTiVos and Series 2 units) the preferable method for upgrade should include a means to increase the swap file so that the built-in TiVo repair utility (GSOD) can complete if ever triggered (rare). Those upgrading, or planning on upgrading in the future, to these larger capacities should consider using the Mfs Tools backup/restore options (-s 127 command line parameter increases the swap) outlined in Step 10 in preference to using this dd copy method.