Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Playmakers 9/23

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Playmakers 9/23

This show is quickly becoming one of the funniest on television....i thought perhaps in the last two weeks it might be getting slightly better, but this week was so beyond ridiculous that I will be tuning in from here on out merely for the camp factor. It is the Melrose Place of sports shows....if it had a midget and a witch it could be the Passions of prime time tv!!

I can only imagine the NFL viewing parties and the hysterical laughter that must be going on Tuesday nights.....
Old 09-23-03, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's way, way better than the WWF, for what that's worth.

I've been watching it since the pilot episode, and what it lacks in credulity, it certainly makes up for in sheer emotion. The actors certainly take it seriously, in any case. It sounds farfetched that all these things could be happening to about 4 people (the main characters), but you can sort of see how things like that would be happening somewhere, in one of the 32 teams that comprises the NFL. In other words, it's pretty damn unlikely that any single NFL team could be that messed up; but put all 32 teams together and I'm willing to bet that you might find a McConnell, a DH, or a Leon Taylor, or that linebacker with the impossible to spell name. Ol-shak or something.

If nothing else, it's thus far been a significant improvement over the likes of 'A Season on the Brink' and 'The Junction Boys'. And quite frankly, TV has needed a credible men's soap for decades. WWF is far too redneck to ever have mainstream appeal, and certainly those daytime soap operas make a ton of money and have been going longer than I've been alive. (Which either makes me young, or those shows old.) Maybe 'Playmakers' is just what guys need from TV.

I'm certainly enjoying Playmakers. Then again, I might be insane.
Old 09-24-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i've been watching weekly as well.. i have to say that i thought last night's episode was the weakest of them all.. felt like nothing happened, and it was a huge step down from the previous week.. and i'm having a real hard time buying into the whole DH thing..

that said, i'm not turning away yet.. just hopes it picks up some speed..
Old 09-24-03, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mr. Cornell
It's way, way better than the WWF, for what that's worth.

And quite frankly, TV has needed a credible men's soap for decades. WWF is far too redneck to ever have mainstream appeal.
This episode was the weakest of them all so far but how can you say that wrestling is far too redneck and not mainstream. I mean I'm not a big fan but you can't deny that it's moved into that non-redneck community. You put Playmakers in the 9:00 Monday block and guess which will win. A quick search on google will reveal that. Here are last weeks results. Granted this is the week before all the season premiers of everything else but the fact remains it's a popular show.

1. NFL Football: Oakland vs. Tennessee (Sunday, 8:39 p.m.), ESPN, 7.2, 7.77 million homes.

2. "NFL Prime Time" (Sunday, 7:30 p.m.), ESPN, 4.0, 4.31 million homes.

3. "WWE Raw Zone" (Monday, 10 p.m.), Spike, 3.6, 3.85 million homes.

4. "Law & Order" (Monday, 8 p.m.), TNT, 3.5, 3.75 million homes.

5. "Law & Order" (Monday, 9 p.m.), TNT, 3.4, 3.69 million homes.

6. "WWE Raw" (Monday, 9 p.m.), Spike, 3.4, 3.63 million homes.

7. "Fairly Odd Parents" (Sunday, 10 a.m.), Nickelodeon, 3.1, 3.37 million homes.

8. Auto Racing: Chevy Rock 'n' Roll 400 (Saturday, 7:30 p.m.), TNT, 3.0, 3.3 million homes.

9. "Law & Order" (Monday, 10 p.m.), TNT, 3.0, 3.29 million homes.

10. "Law & Order" (Monday, 7 p.m.), TNT, 3.0, 3.27 million homes.
Old 09-24-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing i rolled my eyes at was the whole 'which high school in Lansing did you go to" exchange with the girl from the stands and the assistant - there is no Bishop High School in Lansing, Michigan....I realize it's not a big deal, but how hard would it be to insert the name of a real school? For those of us from Michigan it just added to the camp factor of it all....well, for me anyway Simply saying "Everett" "Sexton" or "Eastern" would have made that scene completely different for me, or anyone else in the know I would imagine....
Old 09-24-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

good catch, brizz... something that would go unnoticed to the untrained eye, but i know that it would definitely bug the shit out of me if it was my town they were talking about...
Old 10-01-03, 01:03 PM

It is my town, and that was kinda weird...I looked at my wife and we both did a "WTF?" thing...