Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How come it's gotten so SLOW in this forum?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Is it me or have posts almost stopped in this forum? It's been declining steadily. Where's everyone?! And Sept-Dec are the BUSIEST months... you'd think it would pick up, not slow down like this!

Old 09-23-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, has anything really exciting come out this month? For me the biggest thing was F-Zero and I'm still more enthralled by Wind Waker and Prime..

The SCII and KOTOR discussions came and went.. so I don't know.
Old 09-23-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Uh, FFTA comes to mind. And coming out... SMB3!! And Gladius, Tony Hawk, RPG Maker, Karaoke Party...... I mean come ON people!
Old 09-23-03, 02:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Kids are back in school.
Old 09-23-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FFTA means squat to me, and from the lack of discussion here I'd say it passed under other's radars as well.

Almost all the upcoming titles you list are only going to intrest a *very* few people, with the exception of Tony Hawk (and maybe Gladius, but then again, Otogi faded from this forum as well).. even as much as I am excited for SMB3, it's a remake of game many people played 20 years ago, I don't see it getting much attention either.

But I will agree with you, even without specific game talk going on, the general activity is a little slow this week so far. I was thinking about bringing back my "Classic Game Poll/Discussion of the Week" threads.. hmm..
Old 09-23-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Deb, It'll pickup again as soon as the hype machine starts up for x-mas!
Old 09-23-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually have FFTA but I'm still busy with Disgea, school, and applications. I'm guessing a majority of people here aren't into those kind of game and sadly wouldn't give them a second though, but I love them. I'll start posting about FFTA when I get to it soon. The games I'm waiting for are Rebel Strike and Viewtiful Joe.

Which RPG maker are you referring to Deb? Is there a new one? I have RPG Maker 1 and 2 for the SNES and they are really cool. RPG Maker 2 has FF3 quality graphics and some pretty nice music. I made a pretty cool game, but the battery died when I tried loading it up awhile back .
Old 09-23-03, 02:59 PM

I personally sold my XBOX and PS2 for spending money when I went on Vacation in June and I am waiting for the prices to drop before buying them again so I dont have much to talk about. When some of the bigger titles come out for Xmas it should pick up abit.

I want to Play FFTA but I dont use my GBA except when I take long flights so it will be a while till I purchase that game.
Old 09-23-03, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
it's a remake of game many people played 20 years ago
Has it been that long
Old 09-23-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
Which RPG maker are you referring to Deb?
This sucker -- http://www.gamingworldx.com/ps2/RPGMaker2.shtml

As far as upcoming games I'm excited about, "Crimson Skies" is currently at the top spot, and I'm also really looking forward to "Metal Arms". "Voodoo Vince", "XIII", and "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" have caught my eye, but I haven't decided on a purchase one way or the other. "Tony Hawk's Underground"...considering how quickly part four dropped in price, I'll probably wait for the sticker price to cool off a bit before taking the plunge.
Old 09-23-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
news and info about upcoming games is always gonna be more interesting conversation than just reviews of games we've already talked about before they came out. It'll pick up in a few months.
Old 09-23-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bigdaddy1980
Has it been that long
Okay, okay.. 15..
Old 09-23-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
FFTA means squat to me, and from the lack of discussion here I'd say it passed under other's radars as well.

Almost all the upcoming titles you list are only going to intrest a *very* few people, with the exception of Tony Hawk (and maybe Gladius, but then again, Otogi faded from this forum as well).. even as much as I am excited for SMB3, it's a remake of game many people played 20 years ago, I don't see it getting much attention either.

But I will agree with you, even without specific game talk going on, the general activity is a little slow this week so far. I was thinking about bringing back my "Classic Game Poll/Discussion of the Week" threads.. hmm..
I thought Tactics Ogre was a much better tactical strategy game.

I expect Super Mario Brothers 3 to get a huge response. Whenever a Super Mario Advance game came out it was in the top 10 for sales. Super Mario World sold over a million copies.

Hm, generally i've noticed that this forum has slowed down a lot over the course of the year. I don't know...for some reason, there haven't been a lot of videogames that have gone "Wham!" in your face. Mostly just remakes, sequels, updates...very few original ideas.
Old 09-23-03, 04:39 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Wake me up when TMNT comes out...

I just really haven't had much time to play video games lately. I've only touched the cube a few times since May. But now that my book is done and I'm settled into teaching, I'm gonna try to beat Wind Waker and then finally start playing Metroid (which I borrowed from a friend over 6 mos ago).

Then when TMNT and Mario Party 5 comes out I'll pick it up.
Old 09-23-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally I still frequent the site, but the lack of quality posts leaves me without anything to say.
Old 09-23-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Not much news is going on. once news hits us we will post it of course.
Old 09-23-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it's been particularly slow lately... usually threads are thoughtful enough that you can participate in the majority of them if you want to... but that's just like, my opinion, man

Also, be careful what you wish for; with the current Nintendo price drop and the possible upcoming X-Box and PS2 price drops, I'm sure we'll have plenty to opportunities to answer the burning question...

"I just got an X-Box!!!! What games should I buy!?!?!?!"
Old 09-23-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still playing F-zero. Managed to beat story mode chapter 3 on very hard today.
Old 09-24-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Maybe we are getting older and leaving our childhood behind

NAH!!!! Game on!!
Old 09-24-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I've been playing Soul Calibur 2 nonstop since it came out. So these days most of my time is spent on the forums at soulcalibur.com instead.
Old 09-24-03, 10:33 AM
Retired

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Personally I still frequent the site, but the lack of quality posts leaves me without anything to say.
Same here. I don't post near as much, or as often as I used to for just that reason. Really only when I'm bored at work like now.

I still check the forum almost daily as it's a good one stop spot for gaming news (and I can check the other forums for movie, dvd and music news). I'm really not into games enough to skim a bunch of sites to keep up on news, I'd rather just let others do it and post it for me to peruse.
Old 09-25-03, 02:29 AM
Banned

Frankly....it's not a very good gaming forum.

The DVD stuff and Bargain section is great and probably the best I've seen. The game forum though isn't very well populated and most of the posters plain suck.

Suckiness is of course, subjective. I'd say it falls somewhere under misinformed, cliched, annoying and just plain retarded.

There's better out there.

Good bye.
Old 09-25-03, 02:33 AM

Could you suggest which ones are better?
Old 09-25-03, 02:53 AM
Banned

Okay, fair enough.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board <--Pretty active and knowledgeable. A handful of elitist a-holes though that ruin it for everyone at times.

http://forums.gaming-age.com <--Careful of the pop-ups. They break a lot of news here though as it seems some of their members work for the industry.

Both of these forums are frequented by writers for Gamespy, Gamepro, IGN, EGM, GMR and yes...a guy who works for Nintendo Power. There's also a bunch of EB/Gamestop Managers/sales reps that know some (but not much) about trends.

TNL would probably fall under the "hardcore" label (for better or worse). GA would go under the "Quirk-Mainstream" label for gamers who just want to talk about videogames period. That can mean anything from Wario Ware to the latest run of the mill RPG.

Try em out. It's free.