Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

LOTR: Battle of the RTS (EA vs. Sierra)

Old 09-22-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTR: Battle of the RTS (EA vs. Sierra)

Found this on GameSpot:

New LOTR title on the way

EA goes a third round with Lord of the Rings movie license; real time strategy Battle for Middle-Earth announced.

Electronic Arts announced today that its EA Los Angeles studio is developing The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-Earth for the PC. The title is based on the popular Lord of the Rings movie license and is targeted for a summer 2004 release.

The new release will tap the Command & Conquer: Generals game engine to allow players to complete real time strategy campaigns for both the "good" and "evil" sides of The Lord of the Rings conflict. This is the first time an EA-licensed LOTR title will offer real time strategy gameplay.

The Battle for Middle-Earth is the third offering in The Lord of the Rings franchise from EA Games and follows the upcoming release of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King due in November.

By Bob Moseley, GameSpot [POSTED: 09/22/03 06:09 PM]
I know competition is great and all, but I just can't help but think this is a bad thing. Sierra really did a great job and had Liquid Entertainment develop War of the Ring based on the literary license. Liquid, for those who don't know, also developed the great Battle Realms RTS and really have ideas how to expand the genre. EALA, while no slouch, is basing their RTS on the C&C:Generals engine, which means while it's going to be stunningly beautiful, no one will have the system resources to play it.

Battle Realms didn't sell that well, even though it received critical praise, and I was really hoping this license would give Liquid the attention it deserved. EALA is trying to steal the thunder and ride their wave of hype with this announcement. Although EA's is coming out six months or more later, the movie license plus EA branding might make the mainstream gamer wait.

What does everyone else think?

Jeremy