Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Smith: "Fame is not about talent."

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Watching prime Time Monday and Will Smith just said this:
"Fame is not about talent. 'Cause I have only above average talent."

What do you think of this?
Old 09-22-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
He seems to have some sense of levity about the life and fame he's been blessed to have.

That said, there are people far more famous with less talent than Smith has (when he chooses his projects right), so he need not be so modest.
Old 09-22-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard to say... cause i've never been to where he's at right now

Old 09-22-03, 08:02 PM

I think he's speaks the truth. He only has average talent. That's pretty obvious.
Old 09-22-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I concur
Old 09-22-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
"Fame is not about talent" truer words were never spoken especially in Hollywood. There are some with more talent than Smith and a whole lot of people with less talent so it seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.
Old 09-22-03, 08:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think he's being honest. However, Smith made a lot of very wise choices and calculated risks early in his career that helped propel him from a novelty musician to one of the biggest box office stars.
Old 09-22-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think anyone can disagree with what he said. As for Smith himself, he's definitely an above average talent. He's worked hard to get there.
Old 09-22-03, 08:54 PM

I'm glad to hear something like that from a major celebrity/movie star. He didn't have to say it. Will's a talented guy and he deserves the success he's had.
Old 09-22-03, 09:04 PM

Will is right. Just look at some of the names in Hollywood making films:

Ashton Kucher
Brittney Murphy
Shannon Elizabeth
Freddie Prinze Jr

How about music(which is much more objective):

Brittney
Jessica Simpson
Justin Timberlake

I don't consider any of these "stars" talented! I think Will is definitely above average.
Old 09-22-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the top "stars" today are all manufactured idol products produced by some manager, and that includes both music and movies. There are some awesomely talented musicians out there and some awesomely talented actors out there who will continue to make the best independent music and movies that will blow the top hits out of the water in terms of quality, but they will never garner the attention the above mentioned has, mainly due to the fact they don't have an image that can be packaged and sold, at least according to the managers who manage the miminally talented stars.
Old 09-22-03, 09:43 PM
Suspended

I like Will's stuff, and it's nice to hear a "star" say something like this. Helps to show that not everyone in the movie biz is a fake.
Old 09-22-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's nice he can talk about it, how about he do something about it.
If he has a production company and can produce drivel like that TV he has coming out, why not cater to people who are talented and are largely ignored by the hollywood system. He's a superstar, why not help striving actors, writers and directors out there catch a break.

So much power out there in hollywood, and so much of it wasted.

Time to go write my spec screenplay men in black 3, I guess...
Old 09-23-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the one hand, I'm like "thank you, Captain Obvious."

On the other, I say "Yes Will, tell it like it is." Being a real actor with talent and being famous are sometimes quite mutually exclusive.
Old 09-23-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVDGUY1116

Brittney
Jessica Simpson
Justin Timberlake

I don't consider any of these "stars" talented! I think Will is definitely above average.
How is evaluating talent in music any more "objective" than movies. I mean, for every person who hates a song or a musician there is a person who loves that song or musician, just as can be said for just about any movie or acting performance.

To prove that, I happen to love Justin Timberlake's solo CD. Never cared for Nsync and not a fan of either Brittney or Jessica Simpson (their music at least ) but I happen to think Timberlake's CD is awesome. And a lot of critics actually agreed with me too.

As for Will Smith, I think he's completely right...except for the fact that he's got "above average talent." I would label him somewhere below average given the movies he's turned out. But that's just me. Nice to see a star realize that talent and fame don't necessarily go hand in hand though.
Old 09-23-03, 04:40 AM

Smith is absolutely right...if fame was about talent, actors like John C. Reilly and Phillip Seymore Hoffman would be the biggest stars in the world. (Just pulling a couple of names off the top of my head - not saying those two are the BEST, but you catch what I'm trying to say).
Old 09-23-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't anyone else see the irony of this statement? While I'm sure Will was trying to be self-depricating, on paper it doesn't come across that way. "I have only above average talent." That's like saying, "I'm only smarter than most people". What else is better than "ABOVE average"? "Super-fantastico" talent?

I just thought it was funny that the two parts of his thought seem to contradict each other.
Old 09-23-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I find Will Smith to be very charismatic and usually enjoy his screen performances.
Old 09-23-03, 11:24 AM

I'm no Will Smith fan, but he does have above average talent -- especially when compared to the general population. Have you ever seen a Regular Joe try to act?
Old 09-23-03, 01:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree, another perfect example is the cast of "Friends".
Old 09-23-03, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DVDGUY1116

Brittney
Jessica Simpson
Justin Timberlake
Simpson and Timberlake actually have singing voices. Britney's is manufactured. However, all three have been stuck in their genre and probably won't be able to get out and grow as musicians.
Old 09-23-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question is what is talent? Is being smart in a buisness sense talent? If so, I would say he is way above average. Same goes with some of the others you have mentioned. When it comes to acting, singing and what have you, that is totally subjective and not sure that can be judged because I will bet you can find many people on both sides of the fence for all the people mentioned.
Old 09-23-03, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
How is evaluating talent in music any more "objective" than movies. I mean, for every person who hates a song or a musician there is a person who loves that song or musician, just as can be said for just about any movie or acting performance.
That is a very good point. What I was trying to convey is that talent in movies is more obvious than musical talent. I am not even sure obvious is the correct word. Let me explain.

When talking about movies I can make a blanket statement like Kevin Spacey has a lot of talent as an actor, and gets by on his talent, while Freddie Prinze Jr does not and gets by solely on his idolization by teeny-boppers. A majority of people would agree while only a minority would not.

Music, on the other hand, is more objective because the artists I find to be talented are groups like:

Rush
Yes
Tool
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
U2
Dream Theater
Spock's Beard
The Flower Kings

Now most people, for varying reasons, will disagree with this statement. Maybe it is because they don't like that style of music or never heard of the band...whatever.

I think all those artists are talented and when I listen to the Pop and mainstream rock it drives me insane because, as a musician, I can hear a difference. This makes me say that artists like Britney, Jessica and Justin are not "talented" but instead get by on their image and current fad. I do not think any differently of people who like the artists I do not think are talented; however, a majority of those same people would agree with the statement about Kevin Spacey vs Freddie Prinze Jr. Does this make sense?

Last edited by DVDGUY1116; 09-23-03 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-24-03, 12:14 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Acting is not just about acting talent, it's about charisma on screen. WIll may not be a great actor but has proven he can act with the right part, but he has awesome charisma and his rapping and tv fame makes him a triple threat star
Old 09-24-03, 01:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think to be a star you don't have to be the best actor, you don't have to be the most charismatic, and you don't have to be the best looking, but you have to have a higher than average combination of the three. And personal tastes aside, how many stars (and I'm talking true stars that can open movies, not leads that get lucky with their project choices like Freddie Prinze Jr. or Paul Walker) are *truly* consistently terrible actors?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.