Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBOX price drop in October ?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-21-03, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seen a little news commercial on the G4 channel & they said that there is a rumored XBOX pricedrop in October.
Does anyone know about this ?
Old 09-21-03, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Allegedly, the Gamecube is getting a pricedrop shortly, so it makes sense to think XBOX and maybe even PS2 to follow suit. Supposedly, the GC is going to start at Wal-Mart and happen next week. Other stores should then continue the trend. This is rather speculative, but there is an ad for Wal-Mart that seems to be legit.

K
Old 09-21-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GC going be $99.99 at Target Next Weekend too
Old 09-22-03, 12:24 AM

I am not sure if X-Box will be lowering there cost soon or not. But they will be giving away a combo disc containing both Star wars clone wars and Tetris online with all x-box systems. I work at Best Buy and as soon as we get these discs in the promotion will take effect. Pretty soon they will be packaged with the games inside.
Old 09-22-03, 05:05 AM
Cool New Member

I just traded in my GC and all games for an xbox at ebgames and it came with the SW-Clone Wars/Tetris bundle. This was on Saturday(9/20).
Old 09-22-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't see why Xbox and PS2 would have to drop their price cuz the Gamecube did... I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just don't see the connection.
Old 09-22-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I don't see why Xbox and PS2 would have to drop their price cuz the Gamecube did... I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just don't see the connection.
Well, those folks without any consoles right now might choose an Xbox or PS2 over a GC if the difference is only $30, but if you're talking about a difference of $80 or even $100, then that's much more significant and might sway present-buying parents the other way (and don't think budling-in The Clone Wars is going to pursuade anybody).
Old 09-23-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wal-mart near me has a xbox bundle with Splinter Cell and Mechassault in it.
Old 09-23-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Expect the PS2 and Xbox to drop to $149. They won't let the Cube have an $80 advantage.
Old 09-23-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Xbox will only follow a PS2 pricedrop. There are too many differences between the Xbox and the Gamecube to treat them as true competitors.

It's kind of like the difference between the Dreamcast and the PS2. When the Dreamcast started dropping in price, Sony didn't necessarilly follow suit.

This generation's console war is between Microsoft and Sony...sounds kinda weird saying that, doesn't it?

Jeremy
Old 09-23-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally posted by jrutz
This generation's console war is between Microsoft and Sony...sounds kinda weird saying that, doesn't it?

Jeremy
I don't buy that for a second considering the numerous posts and updates that show MS and Nin. are neck and neck, and supposedly Nintendo has edged them out slightly because of Japan. MS couldn't market the Xbox to Japanese gamers if they dropped the price to the price of a toaster. It just ain't happenin' there. This gives Nintendo the edge.

So in all actuallity PS2 owns this generation while Xbox and GC compete against one another.
Old 09-23-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
So in all actuallity PS2 owns this generation while Xbox and GC compete against one another.
Competing for the number two spot, perhaps, but if you mean that the XBox and GameCube are duking it out in general, I'd disagree. Both Sony and Microsoft consider each other their only real competition, at least in terms of the audience they're looking to attract. Microsoft has no chance of being #1 this generation and they're more than aware of that fact, but regardless of how close Nintendo and Microsoft may be in terms of sales, Microsoft is focusing its attention more squarely on Sony than its closest competitor.
Old 09-23-03, 12:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think it's safe to say that Microsoft and Sony are competing for the same audience, while Nintendo is going after a different kind of gamer altogether.

This is why I think Microsoft and Nintendo should get together in the next generation and give a one-two punch to Sony.
Old 09-23-03, 12:17 PM
Banned

Apparently game studios aren't happy with the trend in bundling. They would much rather see the price be lowered then Sony and Microsoft continuing to bundle games and what not with their systems. I think Sony will lower their console price in October (who knows, maybe even this Friday at TGS) and Microsoft will follow hours later. I'm interested to see if that Zelda deal ever shows face.
Old 09-23-03, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I imagaine seeing Xbox dropping to $150, while Sony reduces the blue box to $150, and the Online Bundle to $180.
Old 09-23-03, 02:05 PM
ME2

We received those Tetris/Star Wars discs already, yesterday. So I figure we'll be bundling them soon.
Old 09-23-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Apparently game studios aren't happy with the trend in bundling.
Yeah i'd be pretty upset too that tetris and clone wars got bundled in out of all the other better choices out there. Its a pretty disappointing choice of games for bundle IMO, but its better than nothing I guess. I think a price drop would be better.
Old 09-24-03, 01:04 AM

Here's a post from a K-B Toys assistant manager over at the Gaming Age forums:

Well folks, we got in a signage pack from our home office late last week that contained "New Lower Price" signs for Xbox, PS2, and GC... With the three posters, there was an assortment of price stickers. The prices were $99.99, $129.99 and $149.99. While we haven't gotten any official directive for them yet, here's what I'm thinkin'...

GameCube = $99.99
Xbox = $129.99
PlayStation 2 = $129.99
PlayStation 2 Online Bundle = $149.99

Any thoughts from fellow retail-ites?
At this point, the only games you should be playing are "Guess how low they'll go" or "Guess when they'll drop".

It's amazing the number of people here who seem surprised that when one drops, they ALL have to drop. [The only exception was Nintendo in the spring. Not dropping an identical $20 along with Sony and Microsoft was the most baffling non-Sega decision on the hardware side in years.]
Old 09-24-03, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
The only exception was Nintendo in the spring. Not dropping an identical $20 along with Sony and Microsoft was the most baffling non-Sega decision on the hardware side in years.
Well, Nintendo is a company that is used to just doing things their own way regardless of what the competition does, so that wasn't surprising.
Old 09-24-03, 11:11 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm positive it will drop for 2 reasons.

1. Nintendo just dropped.

2. I bought an X-box just over a month ago.
Old 09-24-03, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

Thats funny !
Believe me I know the feeling.
Old 09-24-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

Dude, never buy a system in August!

I think waiting to see the Xmas price drop or bundle or something is a good idea when you are only a few months away anyway.

But I guess KOTOR got the best of you!
Old 09-24-03, 12:37 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lastblade
But I guess KOTOR got the best of you!
Yep, got me to buy as system that's gathering dust now right before a price drop, thus I'll get crap for it if I decide to sell it.