Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X2 Ending query?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 Ending query?

I was watching the R2 version last night and noticed at
Spoiler:
the very end as we are flying over Alkalai Lake and Jean's giving her voiceover there's a faint image of a phoenix flying beneath the surface of the waves. i didn't remember seeing that in the theater and wondered if anyone else saw that as well?

Last edited by buckee1; 09-21-03 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was in the theaters from what I recall.
Old 09-21-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yeah, I remember it too. But when it happened I must admit I thought I was seeing things.

I hope they expand on this if for no other reason than to see more of Famke

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-21-03 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I think there were several references to Jean turning into Phoenix in the movie. The ending made perfect sense in terms of continuity with the X-Men comic book (up to a point). When Jean turned into the Phoenix in the comic, the jet she was in crashed into a bay. In the movie, she was "killed" by the water from the dam bursting. You then DO see a faint Phoenix in the water.
Old 09-21-03, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Well, so much for putting on the spoiler tag on the 1st post, thanks to our last poster.

Unless you were sleeping in the theatre showing, you can definitely see it. It was there.
Old 09-21-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
heh
Call me crazy, but when someone asks a question about the ending of a movie, I think people should expect spoilers. Call me crazy, but I think that's called "common sense."

Like I said, call me crazy.
Old 09-21-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, it was there. i remember thinking to myself, "well, i guess we know what x3 will be about."
Old 09-21-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
yes, it was definately there in the theatrical release.
Old 09-21-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kevin75
yeah, it was there. i remember thinking to myself, "well, i guess we know what x3 will be about."
I was wondering how will they (the X-Men) stop Phoenix in movie? In comic,
Spoiler:
I know Prof X can control Dark Phoenix. But at end, she killed herself.

Any idea?
Old 09-21-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Neitzl
heh
Call me crazy, but when someone asks a question about the ending of a movie, I think people should expect spoilers. Call me crazy, but I think that's called "common sense."

Like I said, call me crazy.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I mean you click on a thread called "X2 Ending query?" For lack of common sense what would you think the thread would contain?
Old 09-22-03, 08:48 AM

i thought the Phoenix was pretty obvious, at the end and throughout the movie. her eyes flared up several times
Old 09-22-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
Yummy Famke. Phoenix storyline good, Famke in Phoenix costume, better.
Old 09-22-03, 01:03 PM

I was always a big Famke fan, but she's starting to drift into Teri Hatcher territory - she's starting to look a little weathered. It's hard to buy her romance with Cyclops since she looks old enough to be his mother.
Old 09-22-03, 01:59 PM

Dark Phoenix saga hopefully
Old 09-22-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally posted by McHawkson
I was wondering how will they (the X-Men) stop Phoenix in movie? In comic,
Spoiler:
I know Prof X can control Dark Phoenix. But at end, she killed herself.

Any idea?
Spoiler:
Not exactly true. He never could control it, he needed the help of Jean. Then he placed dampeners on Jean's mind to suppress it, but it ultimately consumed her.

Not sure how far they can do the Dark Phoenix saga in to the 3rd movie as 2 hours can't even begin to scratch the surface. You'd have to bring in Mastermind, the Hellfire Club, the Shi'ar... that's a lot for 2 hours.
Old 09-22-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by devilshalo
Spoiler:
Not exactly true. He never could control it, he needed the help of Jean. Then he placed dampeners on Jean's mind to suppress it, but it ultimately consumed her.

Not sure how far they can do the Dark Phoenix saga in to the 3rd movie as 2 hours can't even begin to scratch the surface. You'd have to bring in Mastermind, the Hellfire Club, the Shi'ar... that's a lot for 2 hours.
Yes, yes... thanks for refreshing my memory. It has been long time since I read that Dark Phoenix saga comic.

I don't think they'll bring Shi'ar into movie... but Hellfire Club is good possible.
Old 09-22-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Hellfire club more so then Shi'ar. that would be too much for viewers to handle. though I do wish if they introduce enough characters to some day make an Age of Apocylpse (sp) film.
Old 09-23-03, 09:04 AM

a hellfire club movie would be cool........but like you guys said that's a lot of info........i'd like to see something about Bishop/Fitzroy and the uncanny X-Men 280's series..........but that's in the future and far from the story line of what's going on right now
Old 09-23-03, 10:55 AM

I don't think they'll go the Dark Phoenix route based. I think it is too far-fetched for the normal movie going audience. The Hellfire Club is definitely a possibility, though. The kid in the wheelchair in X2 was sort of a Mastermind character. I'd love to see Sebastian Shaw. How cool is jumping off a 12-story building and getting stronger. His power is to absorb kinetic energy and make himself stronger.
Old 09-23-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
I was always a big Famke fan, but she's starting to drift into Teri Hatcher territory - she's starting to look a little weathered. It's hard to buy her romance with Cyclops since she looks old enough to be his mother.
Yeah I felt that too... though James Marsden is techincally only 8 yrs younger than her - but he looks like a child as Scott Summers in the X-Men films. At least Hugh Jackman is only three years younger than Janssen.
Old 09-23-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thing is.. I can see if they did do the whole Dark Phoenix saga.. her rise and fall and death as two movies shot it back to back like BTTF 2 & 3.. The cliffhanger is her confrontation by the X-Men after destorying the d'bari. Good quick summary of these issues here.

I'd also like to see Days of Future Past as a movie tho it may be a little too Terminator in style and the whole Senator Kelly issue has already been compromised in the first two movies.
Old 09-23-03, 02:45 PM

How closely has either of the first 2 movies followed any comic book stories you have read about the X-men?

Given that they have not, what makes you think that the next one suddenly will.

They are going to continue to develop new stories for the established characters, while incorporating some of the more popular powers and/or relationships. But I seriously doubt anyone has any interest in using a comic book as a screenplay.

Come to think of it, what superhero movie to date has gotten its story directly from the pages of a comic book? Did any of the Batmans? Superman? Daredevil? or the Hulk?
Old 09-23-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I'm still in the minority about Daredevil. I think it was pretty close. A lot of imagery seemed to be lifted straight from the pages and most of the story was there. My gripe was the time frame for Matt and Elektra's relationship. Way too short for them to hook up and I didn't want to see her training. It would have been better had they met in college, but it was something I can sort of live with.

I think X2 followed a lot closer to themes and stories than X1, especially the Weapon X storyline.

I don't feel the movies will have to be word for word from the comics, but their stories should and have been worked into the films. I think the stories should create a frame for a script/film that the director/writer can expand upon and make their own.
Old 09-23-03, 03:38 PM

Shaw is the man........he kicked the crap out of Colossus a few times
Old 09-23-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I have to agree with devilshalo... The biggest disappointment in Daredevil that Elektra did not show how deadly she is when she fights. I felt that the movie made her look merely weaky.

If X3 introduces Phoenix or Dark Phoenix, they better show how powerful she is as the comic does.

But I think Spider-man movie is much closest as comic does.