Boston Public "Chapter Sixty-Seven" 09.19.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chapter Sixty-Seven

Its Friday time slot is new this year and guest stars will be dropping in here and there
Spoiler:
(like Dennis Miller in a three-show arc beginning Oct. 24)
, but there's nothing new about the controversial storylines, and the fourth-season opener has a number of them. One plot concerns a teen's alleged rape; two others center on Winslow's drug and birth-control policies; and a fourth involves the unorthodoxy of a new teacher (Natalia Baron). As if all that's not enough, there's increased tension between Scott Guber and Harper, who wonders if his vice principal is on “some power rush.” Could be. Marilyn tells Harper that “Scott is after your job.”
Well...this was better than I thought it would be. Predictable, but better. [Show of hands who thought the judge would be a stutterer ]

The new teacher, Ms. Torres... And the cheerleader next week looks just as
Old 09-19-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
edit to add: Casting spoiler. Good 'ol TV Guide...

btw...I still think Friday's the wrong day for this show...but what do I know...
Old 09-19-03, 09:15 PM

Why can't they focus on the actual school more, and less about court dates, teachers dating, and Ronnie being obsessed with her lawyer days, and transfering them into the school?
Old 09-19-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If Harvey actually takes those little pills that he inherited, and keeps up with his "loins" comments, they may have to retitle the show Boston Pubic.
Old 09-19-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Guber's nervous breakdown this season.

Can't remember when a season opener stacked the deck against Guber like this one did.

Guber finding out about Marilyn's new love interest just might push him over.

The much ballyhooed "rape with/without consent" storyline was dealt with in a poor manner of deus ex machina, and the final straw was even more of a head scratcher.

!Carmen Torres es muy caliente!

Forked tongues got way too much airtime. The stuttering and the zero tolerance drug angle got played out too swiftly.
Old 09-19-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when did the Guber/Harper power struggle begin? something happen over the summer we didnt see? this didn't really seem like a season opener, it kinda just jumped into everything. The court scene was way over the top, even for this show. New teacher is already hinting at being annoying but I guess we'll see. and it looks like fox gave away all of next week's show in the previews
Old 09-19-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by KTIK
Why can't they focus on the actual school more, and less about court dates, teachers dating, and Ronnie being obsessed with her lawyer days, and transfering them into the school?
"focus on the actual school more..." meaning the students? The way BP was originally sold was being a show about the teachers not the students. Hopefully they'll get back to that instead of having guest appearances by the latest flash in the pan "idols" or chicks with hyperactive tear ducts..
Originally posted by Patman
The much ballyhooed "rape with/without consent" storyline was dealt with in a poor manner of deus ex machina, and the final straw was even more of a head scratcher.

The stuttering and the zero tolerance drug angle got played out too swiftly.
That whole stuttering/court room thing annoyed me. You'd have to be deaf & blind not to think that the judge wasn't going to be a fellow stutterer. And then they were attempting to make the entire case against Guber about the student's stuttering...

I thought the girl/boy thing was ridiculous as well, but after the charges were dropped, I thought it might be a dangling plot thread that would be picked up later this season. Guess not. And I agree with your about the final straw.
!Carmen Torres es muy caliente!
amen mi hermano!...y su voz es

Annoying? Venusian, bite your forked tongue..
Old 09-20-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
"focus on the actual school more..." meaning the students? The way BP was originally sold was being a show about the teachers not the students. Hopefully they'll get back to that instead of having guest appearances by the latest flash in the pan "idols" or chicks with hyperactive tear ducts..
It's DEK, he comes from the weekly headline/National Inquirer writing school when every show is to sell the commercial to get you to watch/tv motw moments.

Can't tell if he is just a well written hack or plays it safe by squandering any real potential to tell stories instead of scandal after scandal.
Old 09-20-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's been a while, did Ronnie turn in her Vice Principal badge at last season's finale? I can't recall.

For some reason, the faculty seems smaller this year (even through it's a subtraction of 2 younglings with the addition of 1 hot chica).

Oh yeah, Guber needs to get laid...badly.
Old 09-20-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588

I thought the girl/boy thing was ridiculous as well, but after the charges were dropped, I thought it might be a dangling plot thread that would be picked up later this season.
Uh, don't think there was anything "dangling" ....
Old 09-20-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First time I ever watched this show.

It was ok, but I don't think I'll make it a regular, especially on a Fri. night.

So...are we to be led to believe that the girl/boy was lying about her/his physical cond. to 7 of 9?
Old 09-20-03, 10:15 AM

""focus on the actual school more..." meaning the students? The way BP was originally sold was being a show about the teachers not the students."

If they actually made the show about the teachers dealing with problems in/about the school, that aren't so far out there like most of the plots in season 3 were, then yes. They strolled to far from the school setting last year, at least in the first half of the season.
Old 09-20-03, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by marty888
Uh, don't think there was anything "dangling" ....
Yeah I was wondering about that too. Do you think that she really is a hermaphrodite? Or was that some kind of ploy just to get the whole thing dropped?

Also, I only got to catch the last 30 min of this one, but it was kinda good. Im not too sure if it will get any better than last season tho.
Old 09-20-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Boston Public but I find it hard to believe that teachers get so involved with students lives. It's just not a believable story anymore.
Old 09-20-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Well crap, I deleted this episode thinking it was a repeat. It was just sitting there in the "To Do List" patiently waiting to be recorded ...then I killed it.
Old 09-20-03, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Once again, a new season, with teachers missing? What happened to New Kid on the Block and the bearded dude? Will we ever get an explanation (Much like Miss Davis?). Is this a NEW school year? So confused...
Old 09-20-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the actors were dropped from the show, not sure if they'll mention it. They were only around for a year so its not as bad as them dropping Lauren Davis without mentioning it.

it was the 2nd day of teaching for the physics teacher so you would think that it was a new school year, but they didn't act that way
Old 09-21-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
It's been a while, did Ronnie turn in her Vice Principal badge at last season's finale? I can't recall.
Nothing last season. It appears that she may have as they alluded to it, but nothing was said specifically.

I don't think I'm gonna like the new teacher. She's cute but I'll have to give it a few more episodes before I decide to hate her.

An ok show, but alot of flaws. That court thing w/ the stuttering judge would never happen, though.
Old 09-21-03, 12:17 PM
Suspended

I understand the two teachers were on for just one season, but c'mon, explain to us what happened!
Old 09-21-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

umm...they realized they were paying two different people for the same character..?

Old 09-21-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
This show just seems to get worse and worse - the storylines sucked, imo. I don't know how much more of this show I can take before I finally give up on it.
Old 09-21-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, the show is threading on thin ice here. I think it might lose its season pass status unless it gets some episodes like it had in season 1
Old 09-21-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts
Suprised to see anyone even knew it was on. I stumbled across it when it started and was suprised I enjoyed it. I almost missed the fact that they slipped some singining into the episode.

Could be a promising season or fox trying to kill it. I was also supised Ronnie was just a teacher again, glad I'm not the only one that was confused.
Old 09-21-03, 11:53 PM
Suspended

Is it me, or does this episode seem like the 3 or 4th this season? Its like the skipped the start of the school year... Oh well. Hopefully next week will be better.
Old 09-22-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I like the fact that Guber played a big part in this episode because he's the best character on the show.

It was weird that they just kind of jumped into this season. I mean, Guber's powertrip, Harper's romance with Marilyn, Ronnie not being VP anymore. It's like they skipped a few episodes.

The courtroom scene was absurd because I don't think anything like that would ever happen. I mean, the judge pretty much admitted he was biased!

Too early to judge the new teacher. The fact that she was teaching life lessons and Spanish instead of physics had me rolling me eyes, though.

I'm glad that Joey McIntyre and the other young teacher are gone from the show. The young guy was just irritating and McIntyre never really had any purpose--he was just taking up space because he never got any stories.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.