Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Four Horsemen vs Mechanix

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-18-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As fans of both Metallica and Megadeth know, they're the same song but with different lyrics. The blueprint of the song was written by James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, and Dave Mustaine, before Metallica was Metallica and Dave Mustaine was still a member of the band. I don't know Mustaine's drive to change the lyrics, but perhaps he figured it would be a more unique song for his debut album if it didn't mirror the effect Metallica had with the song.

Which leads me to Dave Mustaine's demise from Metallica. He was unmercifully given a bus ticket and given the boot. The reason: too much drinking. Hmm. I guess the Saintly Metallica Guys had a problem with Mustaine consuming 60 cans of beer at a single sitting and driving them all around in the process. Whatever. Plus they said he played the guitar too fast (?) But what's the deal with being able to do that kind of thing to somebody, even if they deserve it? Didn't Mustaine have a contract? I guess not, since he didn't sue. Didn't he have a right to demand they not use The Four Horsemen, since he has a writing credit, if he was so inclined to do so? Wasn't he bitter enough to do that? Wouldn't you?!

Well, all I can say is that the members of Metallica and Megadeth never united for an awesome album while in their prime. It would have been cool to see Dave Mustaine featured on a Metallica song, alas - if they did that now, nobody would care because they're both passe. Metallica's St. Anger album may have debuted at No.1 on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart, but it went nowhere as far as longevity. Plus, many Metallica fans panned the album, much like they panned 1997's Re-Load and 1996's Load (and, to a lesser extent, 1991's Metallica). Most feel that it would be better if Metallica called it quits. They've been recording albums for 20 years. Here's their discography:

1983 - Kill Em All (no chart entry upon release; was re-released in 1986 and charted at #126)
1984 - Ride The Lightning (US #100)
1986 - Master of Puppets (US #29)
1987 - Garage Days Re-Revisited (US #28)
1988 - ...And Justice For All (US #6)
1991 - Metallica (US # 1)
1993 - Binge & Purge (US #26)
1996 - Load (US # 1)
1997 - Re-Load (US #1)
1998 - Garage, Inc (US #2)
1999 - S&M (US #2)
2003 - St. Anger (US #1)

From 1983 to 1991, every album is worth its weight in gold (or platinum). Will the original albums ever be remastered? I burned a mix CD of their music, and the difference soundwise is tremendous. Their music would sound so much better remastered. Although I do enjoy compilations, I don't want one of Metallica's music. There are too many good songs (and I am of the opinion that they didn't record a bad song until after 1991's Metallica), and I want them ALL.

As far as Megadeth is concerned, I don't have as high an opinion on their older material. I like some of it, but not all of it like I do Metallica. They already released a Best-Of, but it left off too many good songs. I'll wait for the next Best-Of.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 09-18-03 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-18-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,116 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Hmm, I thought your post was just going to be about which song is better ,"Four Horsemen" or "Mechanix" And to answer that question, I think that the former song has less goofy lyrics (but still a heavy metal cliche), and a cool middle section (and one of the high points of Kill 'Em All).

I like both bands' debut albums alot, and maybe they could benefit from being cleaned up a bit and rereleased.

Last edited by cultshock; 09-18-03 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-19-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're WAY off an a few things there.

First off, the song was The Mechanix while Dave was still with Metallica. Metallica changed the lyrics after Dave "left" the band. I actually have early recordings of both Dave and James singing the Mechanix lyrics.

Second, they didn't kick Dave out of the band because of TOO MUCH drinking. They kicked him out because he was an ANGRY drunk, while the other guys just tended to be GOOFY drunks.
Old 09-20-03, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That a 3CD/3VHS boxset that retailed for $90 got to #26 on the charts is incredible. Or was that some special chart for videos?

Anyway, yeah, Mechanix was Dave's song, and Dave's lyrics. The version on KIMB...ABIG is his original intent. Metallica changed the lyrics and added the bridge and additional extras after he left. I think the Metallica version is better musically and lyrically, but Dave still gets a nod for the aggression.
Old 09-20-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I give the nod to MegaDave here...

On the Metallica remasters subject... If you are DVD-A equipped, I would highly recommend picking up "The Black Album". Sounds quite good on DVD-A.

Which bring me to... Peace Sells should be released on DVD-A just about any time now. Details...

This feature-loaded DVD-Audio disc offers Megadeth fans some totally mind-blowing surround re-mixes, plus a slew of exciting extras: music videos of both Peace Sells and Wake Up Dead, a complete set of lyrics, a photo gallery, web links, a band member biography, and an interactive section of "play-along" versions of Devil's Island. And the "mega-powerful" surround re-mixes are sure to give hard-core fans some serious whiplash.

· Explosive new surround re-mixes created by Mack (Nightjar)
· Features Adv. Res. DVD-A tracks, plus DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video players
· Includes surround music videos of Peace Sells & Wake Up Dead
· Plus seven "play-along" versions of Devil's Island (isolated instruments)
· Also includes on-screen lyrics and photo gallery
Old 09-26-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
On the Metallica remasters subject... If you are DVD-A equipped, I would highly recommend picking up "The Black Album". Sounds quite good on DVD-A.

Which bring me to... Peace Sells should be released on DVD-A just about any time now.
DVD-A is new to me...can it be played in an ordinary CD player? I would guess not...

I had no idea Dave Mustaine co-wrote more than The Four Horsemen on Metallica's debut album. Phantom Lord and Metal Militia, two of my favorite tracks from Kill Em All, were his, too. Whether the lyrics were changed after his departure, ala Horsemen, I know not.

On Metallica's second album, 1984's Ride The Lightning, Mustaine has writing credits on the title track (the style of the song has obvious Dave trademarks) and the instrumental Call of Kutulu.

On all of Megadeth's albums, there aren't any songs that were co-written by members of Metallica - guess Dave had to start from scratch when he formed his band in 1985.
Old 09-27-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts
Listen to:

METALLICA: "Phantom Lord"
MEGADETH "This Was My Life" from "Countdown To Extinction"

It has something in common
Old 09-27-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Hmm, I thought your post was just going to be about which song is better ,"Four Horsemen" or "Mechanix"
The Four Horsemen are James Hetfield, Cliff Burton, Lars Ulrich, and Kirk Hammett, while Mechanix is Dave Mustaine

Wonder if Dave listened and enjoyed Metallica's albums. I'll say this for Dave: he never fell under the "professional musically" category - he always maintained a sense of fun in his songs - with goofy lyrics and all. He always stayed very different and unique to what Metallica did through the years. My hat's off.
Old 09-27-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Buttmunker
DVD-A is new to me...can it be played in an ordinary CD player? I would guess not...
That would be correct... DVD-A (and SACD) is a hi-resolution surround sound audio format. The sound quality is a major upgrade over CD but you must have a player that will decode the MLP audio track. However, all DVD-A discs also include a DD track that can be played on any DVD video player. In the case of The Black Album, it has an advanced resolution stereo track... But it pales in comparison to the 5.1 MLP DVD-A surround track.

DVD-A faq for n00bs > http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq.../faq_intro.htm