TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nip/Tuck (9/16/03)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nip/Tuck (9/16/03)

Wow, this was a moving episode.

When Sean took the bandages off of the girl, I was like . I hope I never have to see anything like that in real life.

I know pretty much nothing about the Jewish religion, but I thought it was kind of funny seeing the guy pushing the button in the car to change the radio station.

The reason I thought it was funny was because of this thread and the accompanying article. Not funny in a haha kind of way, but funny in an ironic way.

It's good to know why Christian is the way he is, too. Once he yelled to Sean that the priest had raped boys, you just knew that Christian had been the victim of molestation in his youth.

Man, the image of that girl's face still haunts me, though. That was pretty scary looking. I hope I don't have nightmares.

Old 09-17-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
This episode had a Jump the Shark (David Kelley style) aspect to it. I have loved every minute of this show but the whole hit&run storyline was unncessary. We already have the docs covering up the death in the pilot episode. Do we now need the son to go through this to? It seems like they are purposefully trying to have them involved in so many rotten things.
Old 09-17-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to smack that Christian Scientist mother! No pain medication? That girl must be in a world of pain and suffering!
Old 09-17-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't say the show "jumped the shark" with this episode, but it did seem a tad melodramatic for the tone of the show. Still, a pretty decent episode.
Old 09-17-03, 11:17 AM

What happened at the end?

I missed the last 5 minutes - the last thing I saw was the cops waiting to lead the priest out of the church?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Christian broke down and said that he had been molested by his foster father when he was young. He even got paid for it. Last line was, "Sean, I sold myself for money" or something along those lines.

Not sure if this happened before or after, but the son talked to the girl and told her he did it and that he was really sorry (I'm sure she was unconscious).
Old 09-17-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by cliffzig
I wanted to smack that Christian Scientist mother! No pain medication? That girl must be in a world of pain and suffering!
She's in a coma. She doesn't feel anything.

The image of her face is probably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life. I almost can't believe the network let them air it (then again, this is the network behind The Shield).
Old 09-17-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Nip/Tuck (9/16/03)

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I know pretty much nothing about the Jewish religion, but I thought it was kind of funny seeing the guy pushing the button in the car to change the radio station.

The reason I thought it was funny was because of this thread and the accompanying article. Not funny in a haha kind of way, but funny in an ironic way.
Actually, if the guy was an Orthodox Jew he shouldn't have been riding in an automobile on the Sabbath in the first place, so the accuracy meter dropped to zero right there.
I think the whole point of the episode was to show how diverging religions (Judaism, Christian Scientist, etc.) respond to a crucial situation. Pretty weird for Nip/Tuck.
Old 09-17-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea I'll 2nd the face was probably the most disturbing thing I've seen on cable television. Maybe ever. I cringed when I saw it. This was an excellent episode. I think what made it so bad was it looked so real. I tried to picture what her face was going to look like before he removed the bandages and it was similar to the look but in no way could I imagine it looking that bad. Definitely worth catching if anyone missed it.

Last edited by kantonburg; 09-17-03 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
This episode had a Jump the Shark (David Kelley style) aspect to it. I have loved every minute of this show but the whole hit&run storyline was unncessary. We already have the docs covering up the death in the pilot episode. Do we now need the son to go through this to? It seems like they are purposefully trying to have them involved in so many rotten things.
I agree. My first thought on seeing the accident coming was "No, they don't need to do this."

Still like the show though. There's nothing else quite like it on TV.
Old 09-17-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
I agree. My first thought on seeing the accident coming was "No, they don't need to do this."

Still like the show though. There's nothing else quite like it on TV.

Yep. Now next week's episode looks great - kind of indecent proposalish.
Old 09-17-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Christian Science allows for broken bones to be set.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/foc/foc6.html
Christian Science makes exceptions for some medical treatments. Members can wear eyeglasses and go to the dentist, and doctors often set broken bones and help patients during childbirth. Church members can take pain medications. All these remedies are considered temporary aids so that Christian Scientists can focus on the root of the problem, church officials said.
Perhaps the bones in her face could come under this exception.
Old 09-17-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
It was kinda nice to have an episode that didn't have a sex scene every five minutes, I felt it gave the show some more legs. It looked like Christian had a revelation and might be ready to mend some of his ways (especially after the last 3 episodes) but it looks like he is back in true Troy fashion next week.
Spoiler:
How long did he have to give her away for that car?
Old 09-17-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Nip/Tuck (9/16/03)

Originally posted by devilpants
Actually, if the guy was an Orthodox Jew he shouldn't have been riding in an automobile on the Sabbath in the first place, so the accuracy meter dropped to zero right there.
Oh.

Old 09-19-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally watched this week's episode. The inter-splicing of Sean and Christian subplot with Matt and generic friend subplot was good for TV standards.

Both Sean and Christian have a lot simmering underneath the surface. In this respect, the character arcs are compelling enough to watch, while the backdrop is cloaked in superficiality, which is probably intentionally ironic.

If they let go of Santiago, I'll miss her. How will Sean deal with his affair? How will Julia deal with it once she finds out? Is Christian's nutso model girlfriend going to go psycho on him? It appears so. Can't wait for next week's episode.
Old 09-19-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What did her face look like?
Old 09-19-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
F'd up!
Old 09-19-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If someone only caught a TV capture. Where you at TiVoites.
Old 09-19-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad
Probably the most scary and hideous thing I've ever seen before.

Old 09-19-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Kind of like a cross between Frankenstein's Monster and the Elephant Man, but very dark purple.

And it was a very convincing prosthetic. I had to look away after a couple seconds.
Old 09-23-03, 10:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I finally got around to watching this last night and WOW - that was a powerful episode. I am loving this show. Glad it already got picked up for a sophomore season.
Old 09-23-03, 12:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lumpy and purple, with two long stitch lines. It didn't even look like a human face. I mean, there were eyes, a nose, and a mouth... but it was pretty serious.