Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

John Ritter Memorial Show, What's the Rush?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-16-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm sorry if this should have been posted in the thread Mr. Payroll started, but I was worried it would have come off like a thread crap.

I don't know if it's just me, but the idea of this being on literally days after Ritter dies seems really uncomfortable. I mean how long did this show take to produce? Nobody was expecting John to die, so it wasn't like it was already prepped like a special for Bob Hope or the Pope. I have trouble with the idea that scant days after John's death co-workers and friends were assembled about to give interviews, so a show could be presented now. Like the feeling is no one will give a shit a few months, let's get the show out tonight so we can grab the bigger ratings. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?
Old 09-16-03, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yes and no.
I can see an argument for it being presented quickly because it is 'news', and should be somewhat temporally close to the actual event. And I did very much like him, but I don't see people doing anniversary-of-death things like for Elvis or JFK.
The cynic in me says that surely it's coincidental that John was starring in a reasonably popular show that was about to, if I recall correctly, start its new season, and surely that has nothing to do with this memorial.
Old 09-16-03, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They probably did the taping after the memorial service for John yesterday. Tacky? Maybe! But in this day in age, a few minutes is a few minutes too late! Hey that's a catchy phrase, I will have to remember that one.

But I for one am glad they did this tribute, because it will show everyone what kind of a guy John was and how much of a positive effect he had on everyone that he worked with.

Chris
Old 09-16-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: John Ritter Memorial Show, What's the Rush?

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
I don't know if it's just me, but the idea of this being on literally days after Ritter dies seems really uncomfortable. I mean how long did this show take to produce? Nobody was expecting John to die, so it wasn't like it was already prepped like a special for Bob Hope or the Pope. I have trouble with the idea that scant days after John's death co-workers and friends were assembled about to give interviews, so a show could be presented now.
You must hate funerals.
Old 09-16-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's because we have a short attention span and if they had a memorial service after a month or so; most people would have forgotten about him anyway. It's all about getting the ratings with these people.
Old 09-16-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: John Ritter Memorial Show, What's the Rush?

Originally posted by Numanoid
You must hate funerals.
Who hates funerals? If it wasn't for greiving widows I'd never get laid.

But this is different to me. A funeral is a private ritual for friends and family. As much as many of us liked John Ritter and felt legitimently sad when we learned of his passing, this show is a product. Maybe I'm stretching it, but I can't help but feel it akin to selling tickets to attend his funeral.
Old 09-16-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Enough of yer whining... I happened to like the tribute show.
Old 09-16-03, 08:15 PM

Anyways lets all go post here http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...readid=318266. I hear they're having a party in his post!

Chris
Old 09-16-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If ABC actually waited a week or a month to do this tribute, fans would say, "Has ABC forgotten John Ritter?"..."They're forgetting the one guy who brought them decent ratings."...blah...blah...blah....
Old 09-16-03, 09:11 PM

Okay I'm going to delete the other thread and post my original thoughts here!

A Life of Laughter : Remembering John Ritter

I'm watching this right now and I can barely keep back the tears. All his co-workers are devastated and having a hard time talking about him. But he seems like he was a great guy in real life, kind of like his characters on 8 Simple Rules & Three's Company. If you're not watching this program, you really should.

Chris
Old 09-16-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Okay I'm going to delete the other thread and post my original thoughts here!

Sorry I usurped your thread just so I could complain.
I'm at work right now so obviously I've missed the memorial show. I would have enjoyed seeing it. Did they have lots of clips from all of John's movies and TV appearances, or was it mostly just interviews. Who did they talk to?
Old 09-16-03, 10:13 PM

Sorry I usurped your thread just so I could complain.
I'm at work right now so obviously I've missed the memorial show. I would have enjoyed seeing it. Did they have lots of clips from all of John's movies and TV appearances, or was it mostly just interviews. Who did they talk to?
That's okay! They talked to quite a few people from his life. But the ones that took it the hardest were the cast members from 8 Simples Rules. The 4 of them could barely get thru their interviews.

They show Johns first television appearance, probably in the late 60's or early 70's, when he was on the Dating Game. He was funny way back then and he actually won!

Chris
Old 09-16-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a very touching tribute, (although I'm pretty sure they plaed a Train song at the end...why?) but kind of quickly scrapped together. I would liked to hear more from the cast of "8 Simple Rules" and "Three's Company", since we only heard a little bit from Katey Segal, Susanne Summers, and that one older girl. We really didn't see too much.

It was moving, though.
Old 09-16-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a well done tribute, but I think the reason it was rushed out so quickly was so ABC could come back next Tuesday with the season premiere of his show and the 3 episodes he filmed. It was a business decision, but it was a very tasteful and heartfelt.
Old 09-16-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This was a pretty classy show with the exception of the muscial montage at the end [the parts where they slowed down the interviewees crying] and Diane Sawyer [can't stand her].

Other than that...it was pretty sad.

And I will say once again, the show should end after the third ep. If they're really determined to do a show, make it a different one...

Also, Suzanne spoke of closure...I wonder if she and Joyce did any talking...?
Old 09-16-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Who did they talk to?
They spoke to Martin Short, Jason Alexander, Katey Segal, the three kids from "8 Simple...", Larry Kline, Suzanne Somers, Joyce DeWitt, Marilu Henner, Cindy Williams, Henry Winkler, William H. Macy, Jim Belushi, Billy Bob Thornton, and assorted backstage people from "8 Simple..".
Old 09-16-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

William H. Macy? What was his connection to John Ritter?
Old 09-16-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

William H. Macy? What was his connection to John Ritter?
I think he only spoke once. John Ritter saw him one time, and he shouted to him that he loved him in Fargo. Macy shouted back that he loved him in Slingblade, and Ritter replied that this was a drive-by compliment. Then he smiled and thought about how clever he was.

Last edited by freedexter; 09-17-03 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The tribute was a nice show, but I sort of wish we could have heard more from the Three's Company and 8 Simple Rules... cast members.

The clip of him from The Dating Game was awesome...you could tell, even back then, that he was a clown.

I don't think the tribute show was rushed. It was quite timely. The season premiere is next week, so it allowed ABC to set the stage.

Old 09-17-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The tribute was great, I shed some tears towards the end. I look forward to watching what they do with the 8 simple rules show and how they handle it all.
Old 09-17-03, 04:01 AM

Crocker Jarmen:William H. Macy? What was his connection to John Ritter? -For any one who want to see a small,fairly unknown but fantastic film with these two actors together,please watch PANIC.http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2075
Old 09-17-03, 05:37 AM

I loved how they showed alot of my favorite episode of Three's Company. The one when Jack is drunk and does all that dancing.

The pelvic thrust with Janet and that old lady does it for me everytime

I'M GETTING DOWN!
Old 09-17-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have to agree about 8 Simple Rules. There's no way they should continue with the show. I'm fine with showing the 3 last episodes, but they talked about doing a 4th hour long episode where basically his character dies and how the family deals with it.

Just doesn't seem appropriate. He was basically that entire show (which i actually like, having a daughter of my own).
Old 09-17-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
place a bet that the 1st ep. of the new season of 8 Simple Rules...( next week) will be the most watched show for the week?

edited to clarify the post.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 09-17-03 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-17-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the show was very well done and brought some tears to these eyes.....I think it was important to do something rather quickly because his death was just so tragically sudden. It was well done, and I really appreciated the input from all those that they talked to. You could see the genuine appreciation and sadness in everyone's eyes....Ritter was a tremendous individual, and he will be missed by all whose lives he touched.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.