Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Steven Spielberg's Taken (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Steven Spielberg's Taken (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steven Speilberg's Taken DVD

Hello All,

Jut received Steven Speilberg's Taken Mini-Series that aired on the Sci-Fi Channel earlier this year and thought I'd post a pre-lim review.

The R2 version is anamorphically enhanced and sports a DD5.1 audio platform.

Both the audio and video are outstanding. The packaging for the mini-series is a fold out sleeve type.

I know it's being released here in America later on this year and if the R1 is as nice as the R2 You'll have a wonderful set as well.

However, if you can't wait (like me) the R2 set is truly sweet!
Old 05-20-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I suddenly wish I had an R2 compatible player, but I can wait for the dvd's. I've still got hours of tv dvd's to get through:
Buffy
Family Guy
Sex and the City
Son of the Beach
The Simpsons
Six Feet Under

Plenty of time to waste until the R1 set comes out!
Old 09-16-03, 02:48 PM

Review wanted for Spielberg's Taken

this won't be released until late october on DVD but has anyone seen this mini-series on HBO that could provide some insight.
Old 09-16-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was actually a miniseries on Sci-FI channel. I only caught a couple of episodes and then had to stop watching because I missed a few, but from what I saw it was quite interesting. It'll definitely be a set I'll purchase as what I saw was quite good, and DreamWorks usually puts out top notch DVDs so I doubt this one will be an excepton to the rule.
Old 09-16-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw the mini series on Sci Fi in its entirety, and thought it was very good. Like anything that long there are going to be points where there are lulls, the story becomes boring, etc. but since this miniseries spans 50 years you leave the parts your not diggin' behind fairly quickly.

I don't know if I'd buy this though, chances are I wouldn't watch this series over again, not even parts of it. Maybe years from now, but not anytime soon. I'd suggest it as a rental.
Old 09-17-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only got to see the first 4 episodes before I fell behind and just gave up, but I really enjoyed them. It isn't as great as BoB but it is entertaining and well done... I'm going to be picking the set up! Looking forward to it.

MATT
Old 09-17-03, 09:00 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

While I enjoyed the series, it ends very poorly ... overly sentimental, laden with groaner Christ imagery and just plain lame given the total time investment. Yet I'd recommend the series overall. Mostly for the zippy performances by Roswell "men in black" ... the deliciously ruthless Joel Gretsch, the uber quirky Matt Frewer (Ma-ma-ma-max Headroom) and, gulp, Heather Donahue of The Blair Witch Project.

Although I can't really imagine ever re-watching the series even for review purposes. My skin crawls just thinking of having to endure another SECOND of the squeaky narration and Starbucks philosophizing of little Dakota Fanning.
Old 09-17-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is also being rebroadcast on the (so-called) Sci-Fi Channel starting 9/28.
Old 09-17-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the series grew progressively worse w/ each episode; the last few shows were especially painful to endure. It’s not something I would buy or watch again. Why not save your money and watch the series on TV when it’s rebroadcast?
Old 09-18-03, 08:11 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

The early episodes were the most interesting, setting up a number of twists and complications which are resolved (and in some cases not) more and more poorly. As Audrey notes the final shows were painful.

Heather Donahue from Blair Witch Project gets another scenery-chomping role. And Joel Gretsch (William Shatner's son-in-law!) turns in what would have been a star-making performance if the script had been better.
Old 10-02-03, 08:52 AM
Banned

Taken DVD

Hey all,
I am new here and work for CBC Canada in Vancouver, Although, DreamWorks Taken is yet to come out on 21st, I have managed to get my hands on a copy. How? Thru legal channels believe me.

Anywho, just wanna say that the transfer rate on the DVD is excellent. Watching this amazing series on my 60 inch Hitatchi with Home Theatre System is just amazing. The DVD lacks slightly on extras but is better than the UK version. Can't wait for this one.

For those who wanna get free copies, a site is giveaway DVD plust lots of other Taken goodies.

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/fea...test/taken.php

I am working on my review that I will be posting here in few days.
Jo
Old 10-05-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I signed up for it, but I have to say I'd only get it free or very cheap. I watched most of it during scifi's marathon showing last spring, and I thought most of it was ok, but afterwards, I thought the same thing that I thought when I saw Jame's Cameron's The Abyss: Not bad, but I liked it better when it was called Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Old 10-06-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed the series, but I agree with one of the above posts that the ending is just terrible. It was a very Spielberg-like ending, but getting to the ending was worth it. The series itself was great with some good acting and directing. I was surprised with Heather Donahue--she can actually act! I plan on picking this set up eventually, but for now my VHS tapes will suffice.