Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

reviews wanted: Babe: Special Edition

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone been able to get this early (and can give a little hint of it's quality) or seen any reviews of it online? i know Universal suck when it comes to sending out screeners but i'd love to hear about the video/audio quality since it's almost out.

thanks!
Old 09-24-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i have the disc now, and i have to say that the video quality isn't flawless. it's for the most part thumbs up, didn't notice much edge enhancement, colors and such looks good. it did seem to feature quite a bit of grain though, some parts more than others. i haven't viewed the whole thing yet, just a little bit here and there.

not a stellar transfer, but "that'll do, pig".
Old 09-24-03, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Well, I watch it last night and the transfer for the most part was pretty good, however I was disappointed on the features. "The Making of Babe" was only about over 3 minutes and only talked about how they made those animals talked no interview with the casts and director, the interview with producer/writer George Miller was okay only last about 6 minutes, the games are all very lames and good luck finding a trailers cause Universal did'nt bother putting it on. Speaking of trailers, yes once again you're forced to watch all those trailers when you start the dvd. .

I guess I should be happy that Universal finally released this movie in anamorphic widescreen, still I don't know why Universal called this a special edition when it really not that special.
Old 09-24-03, 10:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I agree dom.

I found it all sorta strange. Babe got no insert, yet Pig in the City did. Babe got no trailer, Pig in the city did. Babe got a few extra features, Pig in the city didnt.

Really liked the transfer, yet sadly agree that the feature sucked big. Have to check out the commentary.
Old 09-24-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well the Pig in the City DVD is the same as the old release, from way back when they put inserts and trailers or the discs. i think the only reason Babe is called a special edition is because it's a new version, just to differentiate it from the old release.. better call it special edition than "new edition" or something. i have to say, i don't really need this to be a packed SE anyway, i'm happy as long as i get some extra stuff (like the commentary track, that's nice) and the film in anamorphic widescreen.

i easily bypass the forced trailers but pressing stop as the disc is loading and then hitting menu. puts me right in the main menu.
Old 09-24-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,220 Posts
Originally posted by Grizzly
i easily bypass the forced trailers but pressing stop as the disc is loading and then hitting menu. puts me right in the main menu.
I'll try that. I've had to FF and that's a bit of a pain. I thought the video and audio quatily was okay. I like the vibrant palate on screen. Actually I thought it looked pretty good, except the animal talking looks faker than I remember. Hey, at least it's widescreen so now I can see the mice and the title screen together. Universal has always seemed to treat this title with conempt, when it's one of the true jewels in their catalog. I bet if Speilberg were the exec producer, there would be a Babe ride at Universal Studios by now.
I might listen to the commentary tonight. I'll post here with my impressions.