Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

opinions sought on Smallville

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
opinions sought on Smallville

What the general consensus out there on Smallville? I've never seen an episode, but noticed that WB is starting to re-air them from th beginning on Sundays, and thinking about catching up with the series that way before watching season 3.

I tried getting into Dawson's Creek re-runs over the summer and couldn't get into it. However, I'm loving Buffy and The West Wing (and have added B5 to my "to watch" list once the PVR starts piling them up).

Is this a show worth watching? I enjoy current shows like 24, Alias, Survivor, MI-5, Amazing Race, Friends, The Shield, Frasier, Ed, etc...
Old 09-15-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i watch it just because friends did. Its a good show, but not a "great" show...yet. It has potential but hasn't gotten there yet although season 2 was a lot better than season 1 (atleast the episodes of 1 i saw).
DVD Talk Hero

Buffy wannabe aimless monster-of-the-week show for much of the first season, but showed some promise. Found its footing in the second season as it realized the strengths and weaknesses of these characters (particularly getting further into Lex's story) and how to play them well. Nowhere near as good as Buffy or The West Wing, and you won't get rapid-fire quick-witted dialogue, but still quite entertaining and growing better with each episode. This 3rd season looks very promising. If you like the genre, I'd say give it a shot. Otherwise, there's better stuff out there.

das
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
One of my favorite shows. I watched it a little bit in S1, but after watching the S2 premiere, I was hooked.
Old 09-15-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The first 10-11 episodes of the first season seem to be a bit formulaic and repetitive ("mutation/monster of the week" type of stories), but it gets better in the 2nd half of the season.
Old 09-15-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman
The first 10-11 episodes of the first season seem to be a bit formulaic and repetitive ("mutation/monster of the week" type of stories...

That is why I only peeked in on it from time to time in S1, whereas I got hooked on it in S2.
Old 09-15-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I think Smallville is a great show with a great cast. I just seem to become emotionally attached to the characters the more I watch it. I do think the first episodes of season one seemed to be formulaic, but to me the fighting the monsters part of the show was only a side note to the development of Clark.
Old 09-15-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Like everyone else has said, it's a mediocre "monster of the week" type show for the first half of Season 1. It desperately tried to emulate Buffy, but came off as more of a Dawson's Crack clone(if Dawson had superpowers).

Then it became more arc-driven in the last third of Season 1 and throughout most of Season 2. Lex and Lionel Luthor are central figures in the storyline now which makes it a helluva lot more interesting. I could do without all of the love triangle BS between Clark, Lana, and Chloe, but that's unavoidable on a show like this. Overall, it gets better as it goes along.
Old 09-15-03, 02:49 PM

SMALLVILLE is easily the best TV-version of the Superman legend that has ever aired. Doesn't have the impressive cast of actors that LOIS & CLARK had, but it takes itself far more seriously, which makes for better drama and less corniness.
Old 09-15-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know it funny how some shows hit their stride in season 3, and when you look back at the first and second season, they aren't as bad as long as they were building to something down the line. I think we may be in the middle of something...
Old 09-15-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's not a "great" show, but it's well worth watching, especially if you have any interest in Superman whatsoever.
Old 09-15-03, 03:13 PM

Smallville is my current favorite tv show. I really like it a lot. It has replaced Alias as my #1 show.
Old 09-15-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it, but more often than not I hardly ever tune in for the re-runs. I see the description and think, "Yeah, that was a stupid episode," and I find myself thinking that about many of them. Then when I think about it I realize the best part of the show is not the main story line in each episode, but the back stories about Lex and Clark's relationship and some of the other characters. If the episodes were driven by the strength of the stories alone, the show would inevitably fail, but the series has some excellent characterizations and great actors playing the characters. I also fear that WB has ruined any chances of casting new actors to play Supes and the rest in any future movies, as they have the best Superman cast assembled right now. If you can get past some of the horrible story ideas, you will find a great show. And it's just the ideas that are sometimes off, the execution is usually much better.
Old 09-15-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I've been watching it since the beginning, but last season really cemented this show's grip on me.
Old 09-15-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched at first & was actually amazed by it. The best special effects I've ever seen on a basic cable tv show. Perfect casting for a young clark & great perfomances by the actors who are Lex Luthor, Clark, Clark's Dad & Luthor's father who stole very scene I've ver seen him in. However . . . . ..........................

the show got reaaaaaallllllly boring & redundant. It just never went ANYWHERE. And what I hated the most was the Lana/Clark relationship. To me the coolest part of the show is that we know how everything will end. We know how the Lex/Clark relationship ends so the most interesting part for me is seeing how they are good friends. So they should do the same w/ Lana/Clark. We know how it ends, so they should have them deeply in love from the beginnig & build there relationship.

I got sick of watching the same thing & the show going no where so I stopped watching after about half way into Season one. Watched the first 2 episodes of Season 2 & then the show fell into the same pattern. Now I've given up entirely & will probably just watch the last 2-3 episodes of when the series ends for good. Also I COULD NOT STAND the characters of Clarks to other friends. I can't think of their names but they got WAY to much air time & are horribly annoying.
Old 09-16-03, 03:02 AM
Banned

It started out good then quickly got lame. Apparently it got better but the viewers were gone by then.

(read: Enterprise)
Old 09-16-03, 08:18 AM
Cat

Originally posted by Revoltor
It started out good then quickly got lame. Apparently it got better but the viewers were gone by then.

(read: Enterprise)
They didn't go too far, it is still the top rated show on The WB. I think it is a great re-telling of the Superman story and am excited to see where they take it. It has a lot of X-Files elements in it, as far as all the "monsters/mutants", but with a young cast of characters. You have to suspend your belief a little bit, but what sci-fi show doesn't make you do that? Smallville is the only show that I actually make time to watch every week and am looking forward to the new season. Thankfully, Season 1 comes out on DVD next week and I can watch it all over again.

Cat
Old 09-16-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I can't believe that there are people who thought it started out good and got worse. S2 was so much better than S1.
Old 09-16-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I watched at first & was actually amazed by it. The best special effects I've ever seen on a basic cable tv show.
Might be because it's not a basic cable show.
Old 09-16-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Might be because it's not a basic cable show.
Cannel 11(WB) isn't basic cable? If you have basic cable, which is all I have, you still get it. But that has nothing to do with it anyway.
Old 09-16-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Basic cable, in this sense, means that it's only available via a cable hook-up (or via satellite), but the WB is broadcasted over the air (mainly on UHF channels), and is considered a local channel.
Old 09-16-03, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I can't believe that there are people who thought it started out good and got worse. S2 was so much better than S1.
Agreed. S1 was all Monster of the Week episodes - Clark encounters a shape shifter, Clark encounters kryptonite, Clark encounters a werewolf, etc. As hokey and corny as some of the storylines have been in S2, at least there WERE storylines.
Old 09-16-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I first saw the previews for it and read about how he wasn't gonna be flying, wearing a costume of sorts and not even be in glasses, I thought "This isn't even Clark Kent, let alone Superman!"

Checked out the first episode and loved it. Been watching since then and looking forward to Season 3. Some people hate it when they drop the Superman references. I actually live for 'em.
Old 09-16-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the show is pretty ho-hum. Definitely not great TV; only good TV at best. Despite the fact that there are two cute girls (playing Lana and Chloe), the best part of the show is the relationship between Lex and Clark.

Old 09-16-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Pretty much the only reason I still watch the show at all is because I really like the actor who plays Lex...the entire rest of the cast is mediocre at best IMHO. Every now and then there's a really neat story but it's not really a great genre tv show.

Michael

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.