Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

And you thought GamePro was bad (new game mag)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-15-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Introducing: Stuff Gamer!

http://www.stuffmagazine.com/hype/ga...ges/1_text.gif

This has got to be the worst company to come out with a VG Mag. Have you ever read any of their reviews?

"Randy the pineapple gives Mario Sunshine two thumbs up for being able to shoot liquid through a mechanical pipe."

Seriously, Stuff is nice for the spreads and hold my attention for about five minutes but for them to come out with a VG Mag?

On top of that I think that they are extremely biased. One of those magazines that would sell out because they have no reputation to defend.

So what are everyone else's thoughts?
Old 09-15-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I think there are enough barely-dressed video game females on video games mags as it is. I don't think I could deal with more.
Old 09-15-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if it will be as insightful as Maxim goes to the Movies
Old 09-15-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But....but....it will have a "dope Web site to go along with it"

But seriously, the way they say that makes me want to punch somebody.
Old 09-15-03, 03:16 AM

If I can get it for free just like Stuff, I'm sure it will be worth it
Old 09-15-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Stuff has great pics of hot chicks, but their humor is awful. Every other sentence is a lame attempt at a joke....for example, in a Silent Hill 3 mini-review, they said something like

"All you have to see in the dark rooms is a stupid torch. Oh no, our torch was totally looking over our shoulders as we typed that. We're sorry torchy, we didn't mean it!!!"

The humor (or lack of) is so bad I throw the magazine away after I glance through it. Good thing I get it for free. I would never pay for something like that.

Old 09-15-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So this is a magazine where beautiful women will be interviewed and something will be added about how they love video games?

Hot woman #1: Oh yeah i love/loved *insert game title*, i played/play that all the time!
Old 09-15-03, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
At least it'll be a terrible magazine geared towards teens/twenty-somethings, vs. GamePro, a terrible magazine geared towards the pre-pubescent set. I'm ashamed to say that I liked GamePro when I was in elementary-slash-middle school. The difference is that I've grown up over the past 12 or 13 years, whereas GamePro is exactly the same. Still has the awful 'smiley face' rating system and like four writers with eighty different anthropomorphic animal nicknames a pop. What kind of cachet does a GamePro review carry? "Oh, the giant bullfrog with sunglasses and an alliterative handle said this was really good. I think I'll drop fifty bucks on it."

Their reviews are astonishingly bad. It's sad to see major titles relegated to half a page or less, and when you take out the screenshots, lame tips <small>("ProTip: Press "Start" to pause the game.")</small>, you're left with maybe two or three paragraphs of actual review. Seriously, sit down and count the number of sentences in some of their reviews. Every issue has at least a handful of four sentence "ProReviews". They're longer than usual sentences, sure, but still... It would take a concerted effort for Stuff Gamer to be any worse than GamePro.
Old 09-15-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I do agree with you, have you ever read any of Stuff's reviews?

Here is an actual review

"Boktai: Without the virtual sunshine in this game, you'd be dead meat. That's because sunshine recharges your gun. protecting you as you sneak past evil guards to smuggle coffins out into the light. We love sunshine. Without it, we wouldn't have hay fever--or our friends in the Hay Fever Sufferers support group."

So lets see...they told us about the highly advertised sunsensing feature then preceded to tell us about their hay fever.
Old 09-15-03, 11:16 AM

Hey, there'll be plenty of time to knock it after it comes out if it's exactly like Stuff's current reviews. Until then, I prefer to be optimistic (unlike the pessimistic pea pod, the best [non-pictorial] thing in the magazine )
Old 09-15-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah its sounding pretty bad already from those reviews. I've never heard of Stuff, but the writing sounds pretty bad, right down there with X-Play. You can tell they thought that hay fever stuff would be funny but it just isn't.
Old 09-15-03, 02:20 PM
Banned

Next will be FHM Politics.
Old 09-15-03, 02:33 PM

Actually I get all those mags for free, FHM, STUFF, GEAR, whateva. Is it just me or every sentence, caption is rehashed from previous issues? I mean ok so we get it you're being sarcastic, but then next couple of pages, here we go again, sometimes I just get it from my mailbox and flip through the really nice photoshopped pix.

Oh and the times when it seems liek they have something usefull, like news or facts, you don't know if it's credible, or again they're just being sarcastic.
Old 09-15-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Hey, there'll be plenty of time to knock it after it comes out if it's exactly like Stuff's current reviews. Until then, I prefer to be optimistic (unlike the pessimistic pea pod, the best [non-pictorial] thing in the magazine )
Usually I would reserve such harsh judgement until the final product but just from the sample of the reviews from Stuff, they deserve the crapfest that we are feeding them.

One of the things that I really hate about it is that all those Joe-six packs will think that the information they present is correct or cool or whatever and they will buy into all the horse sh** further perpetuating misinformation.

Last edited by tanman; 09-15-03 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-16-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Like I said, horrible attempts at humor
Old 09-16-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
i don't t hink i've even touch this mag. their reviews are so sad. they give high scores to everything, even crap.
Old 09-16-03, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ctyner
At least it'll be a terrible magazine geared towards teens/twenty-somethings, vs. GamePro, a terrible magazine geared towards the pre-pubescent set. I'm ashamed to say that I liked GamePro when I was in elementary-slash-middle school. The difference is that I've grown up over the past 12 or 13 years, whereas GamePro is exactly the same. Still has the awful 'smiley face' rating system and like four writers with eighty different anthropomorphic animal nicknames a pop. What kind of cachet does a GamePro review carry? "Oh, the giant bullfrog with sunglasses and an alliterative handle said this was really good. I think I'll drop fifty bucks on it."

Their reviews are astonishingly bad. It's sad to see major titles relegated to half a page or less, and when you take out the screenshots, lame tips <small>("ProTip: Press "Start" to pause the game.")</small>, you're left with maybe two or three paragraphs of actual review. Seriously, sit down and count the number of sentences in some of their reviews. Every issue has at least a handful of four sentence "ProReviews". They're longer than usual sentences, sure, but still... It would take a concerted effort for Stuff Gamer to be any worse than GamePro.
What exactly are you comparing this to?

Are you even following your own logic?

You say that you liked it when you were in elementary school and then you state that 12-13 years later you hate it. Um, hello? Of course you don't like it anymore, it's "geared towards the pre-pubescent set".

I mean for Christ's sake, I don't see anyone bashing the Weekly Reader an Highlights for lack of in-depth analysis of the current events.

Then again maybe you were just trying to be funny....and completely failed.
Old 09-16-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Revoltor

I mean for Christ's sake, I don't see anyone bashing the Weekly Reader an Highlights for lack of in-depth analysis of the current events.

DAM*! THAT GOOFUS AND HIS FOOLISH WAYS!!!!
Old 09-16-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-16-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yikes, Revoltor? Do you write for them as Freddie the Fox or Gary Gopher or something? You seemed to take my post awfully personally.

No, my problem is that GamePro is, at least as I see it, a magazine geared towards kids that doesn't seem to think it's geared towards kids. There are several interviews with its writers and editors online where they laugh off the "kiddie mag" notion. A handful of other DVD Talk users, yourself included, recommended GamePro (though you did make the "...little brother" comment), which would seem to suggest that some of you out there do think the magazine holds some appeal to our not-seven-year-olds demographic. I've seen a lot of news magazines recommended on this forum, but the Weekly Reader isn't among them. So, yeah, I'd say the Weekly Reader comparison is inaccurate...unless you were trying to be funny and...
Old 09-16-03, 10:06 AM
Banned

If you think videogames are a very "adult" thing, then you've got another thing coming.
Old 09-16-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I think videogames appeal to a rather wide array of people. Smiley face rating systems and reviewers who hide behind animals and pun-riddled nicknames do not.
Old 09-16-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Maxim, Stuff, FHM, Gear, Crank, Shaft, Junk, Buzz, Dirt, Sluts, Shit, Filth, and whatever other magazine like this suck beyond all suck. Worst writing ever. Perpetuating dumbness. I cringe at the thought of people actually reading the articles. Actually - I don't even see the point of such a magazine. Why not just get playboy? Then you can see the girls naked - and Playboy actually has good writers. Plus, Playboy has pretty girls whereas all those Maxim, FHM, Stuff, Cock, Rod magazines have plug ugly broads. I get 3 of em - Maxim, Stuff and FHM - I got that 3 mags for 10 bux or whatever it was to support DVDTalk. Then it took like 3 months before the magazines even started coming - so I cancelled... I didn't even want them anyway. Then a week later they started coming. I tried to cancel a bunch of times and no luck. In fact, my subscription ended a long time ago and they're still coming. I don't read them or even flip through them - I just dump them in the garbage.

That said - I will wait and see if Stuff Gamer is worth reading. My favorite gaming mag ever was PC Accelerator and maybe there's an off chance that those folks got the chance to make this new mag. Odds are Stuff gamer is gonna suck donkey balls though.
Old 09-16-03, 11:00 AM
Suspended

OK, while were on the subject, what is the deal with the game reviews in these type of magazines (FHM, Stuff, Playboy, Maxim, etc.) They give ratings to games that can't be ready for review. I saw Half Life 2 get a 5 star rating in one of those recently. That review had to be written at least a month ago to make it to print.
Old 09-16-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I actually like the humor in Stuff magazine. I don't know why, everyone else seems to hate it, but I liked it when Gret Gutfeld was the editor. It was just so nonsensical that I had to chuckle.

However if you're looking to get videogame reviews from anything other than a dedicated videogame magazine than you're most likely going to be disappointed. I would never trust a review from Maxim, FHM, Stuff or any magazine of that type to tell me about videogames. This magazine I guess we can't know about until we check out some of the writing, but I can't imagine it's going to take itself seriously. You never know though, it could be a pleasant surprise.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.