Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gothika trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gothika trailer

http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/...ka_tr_page.htm

Hm. . .

Some parts look decent, and then Cruz shows up and says something to ruin the mood.

Thoughts?
Old 09-14-03, 10:10 AM
Suspended

I'm not much of a Halle Berry fan, but this looks good so far.
Old 09-14-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who knows; it’s hard to tell how successful this might be from the trailer. One thing did strike me as odd---the plot bares an uncanny similarity to the adventure game, Sanitarium.
Old 09-14-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I did crack up when the voice over guy announced halle berry as a intellectual.
Old 09-14-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I HATE Halley Berry & the movie doesn't look too original but I'll probably end up seeing it just b/c I see anything horror related. There was a pic in Fangoria with
Spoiler:
Charles Dutton lying on the floor of a hallway with his legs broken in the opposite direction then bend
that looked pretty cool & creepy, so based on that one picture alone I'll see the movie.
Old 09-14-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the preview before "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" and it looks great. The trailer does a good job of showing the movie as having a very eerie, creepy sureal feel. I've been trying to stay away from the pre-movie news, wanna stay as spoiler free as possible.

And why the dig on Cruz? Her looks? Her acting? Or her speech? Just curious. I think she has a very sexy delivery.
Old 09-14-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Amel
And why the dig on Cruz? Her looks? Her acting? Or her speech? Just curious. I think she has a very sexy delivery.
Normally I like Cruz, but her role (in the trailer at least) doesn't do it for me. Just seemed out of place, that's all.
Old 09-14-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Who knows; it’s hard to tell how successful this might be from the trailer. One thing did strike me as odd---the plot bares an uncanny similarity to the adventure game, Sanitarium.
I've been saying that since I first heard about this movie, I always thought Sanitarium could be made into a badass movie, this flick seems to borrow things conceptially only without the hyperdeformed children and trips to hell ..

That alone pique'd my interest.
Old 09-14-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I loved Sanitarium... I didn't make the connection though - reminded me of that one with Michael Douglas and that chick with the bug eyes though... "I'll never tell"

I loathe halle dingleberry, but the movie looks like it might be good, so I'm gonna go see it. Good to see the return of Robert Downey Jr.
Old 09-14-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I loved Sanitarium... I didn't make the connection though -
Unless I'm mixing up Sanitarium with another game:

Spoiler:
Guy has car accident; wakes up in an asylum; comes to believe he was a Dr. at the asylum; quest to discover true identity...
Old 09-14-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well. Matt Kasso's directing this one, and he did a very good job with the atmosphere an feel of Crimson Rivers... even if I have no idea what was supposed to happen...

As for those who say they borrowed from a video game, I'm not surprised. This is Dark Castle; correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they commision FearDotCom, a horrendous ripoff of Ring (hoping to get an edge on the remake).

That dialogue though...
CRUZ: Are you scared?
BERRY: No.
CRUZ: You should be...

... conjures up bad memories of the nearly-identical dialogue in The Order. Yup, they were so proud of that line, it ended up in THEIR trailer too...

Oh, I think we can all agree that
Spoiler:
Robert Downey Jr.
is the killer... anyone care to differ?

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm looking forward to it. I love that bit in the trailer, she walks forward, and realizes she's behind glass...
Old 09-15-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by audrey
Unless I'm mixing up Sanitarium with another game:

Spoiler:
Guy has car accident; wakes up in an asylum; comes to believe he was a Dr. at the asylum; quest to discover true identity...
Well, it's been awhile since I played Sanitarium - but the only thing I don't remember is where your character believes he's a Dr. All the rest of what you said sounds accurate. This movie though looked more like a ghost story to me... maybe I didn't follow the trailer well enough, but it looked like halle has a car accident after an encounter with this ghost chick who she later finds out has been dead for years (like that campfire story) and she wakes up in a mental hospital for criminally insane cuz she murdered a bunch of people and she doesn't remember the last 2 days... I didn't even see it hinted that she might be dillusional of all the events that happened prior to the accident (like her identity or whatever). I guess there are similarities, but I just didn't make the connection. Either way, the flick looks creepy enough.
Old 09-15-03, 03:41 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

As for those who say they borrowed from a video game, I'm not surprised. This is Dark Castle; correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they commision FearDotCom, a horrendous ripoff of Ring (hoping to get an edge on the remake).

No, FearDotCom wasn't a Dark Castle movie. So far they've made House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts, Ghost Ship, and Gothika and according to Joel Silver they will make a horror movie every year for release around Halloween.

Also not a big Halle Berry fan but the trailer looks quite good.
Old 09-15-03, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh - so this is the same people that brought us House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts and Ghost Ship? Hmm... I liked House on Haunted Hill, but the other two were just mediocre or not very good although they both had some cool scenes. Maybe this one will put them back on track.
Old 09-15-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Wow, excellent download speed! Too bad the trailer left me wanting a nap.
Old 09-15-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Are you scared..?
Old 09-15-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Are you scared..?
No.
Old 09-15-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
No.
You should be...
Old 09-15-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This movie was not on my radar in any way because I just dislike Halle Berry that much, but after seeing the trailer, I have to check this out. If the film manages to capture the eerie feeling of the trailer this could be good. And I've really enjoyed the hell out of the Dark Castle flicks.....they're not great, but they're hella fun to watch when the days start getting shorter.