DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Official Unpopular Video Game Opinions Thread

RyoHazuki
09-14-03, 03:36 AM
What are your unpopular video game opinions? I'll go first. The Metal Gear games are highly overrated.

vd0man
09-14-03, 06:27 AM
Ok, here goes: Random battles and/or respawning enemies are just lazy game design.

*cough*finalfantasy*cough*

DaBargainHunta
09-14-03, 09:23 AM
I agree with both RyoHazuki7 and vd0man. Here's another one: Most fighting games are broken crap. Who came up with the dumb idea that controller motions like up, left, left, button button were a good idea? That's not good gameplay IMO. I love how people call these fighting games "deep," but I don't see what's so "deep" about blistering your hands on a control pad because of an insane and archaic control scheme that never should've been invented in the first place. Most wrestling games have one-button moves and a huge variety of them, so why must fighters be stuck in the past?

Josh H
09-14-03, 09:54 AM
The GTA series sucks. Boring missions, lack luster graphics, open ended gameplay gets tedious fast IMO.

Groucho
09-14-03, 11:02 AM
Unpopular on this forum:

I game on my PC.
I enjoy non-linear RPG's.

Trigger
09-14-03, 11:38 AM
I think Metroid is just a First Person Shooter
I think Gamecube's main target audience is young children (or 'families' if you like)
I think console gaming in general is not as good as PC gaming
I think what most people consider Adventure games are nothing more than console platformers.
I don't think Metal Gear is a good series
I think Timesplitters 2 is the worst FPS that ever went gold.
I think Soul Calibur 1 and 2 are lame - same goes for Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter.

btw - I thought we did this thread a month or two ago

KillaBeez
09-14-03, 03:42 PM
I think Half-Life is highly overrated and HL's story is highly overrated. The gameplay was way too slow, the story was very basic and lame that a 1 year old can come up with and I believe HL2 will be the same boring thing all over again.

evenflow
09-14-03, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Trigger

I think Gamecube's main target audience is young children (or 'families' if you like)

Gamecube's main target audience being children is not an opinion, it's a fact.

mr.snowmizer
09-14-03, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by vd0man
Ok, here goes: Random battles and/or respawning enemies are just lazy game design.

*cough*finalfantasy*cough*

Why would this be an unpopular opinion?

Lethal Nemesis
09-14-03, 05:03 PM
Counter-Strike isn't as good as people make it out to be.

Trigger
09-14-03, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by KillaBeez
I think Half-Life is highly overrated and HL's story is highly overrated. The gameplay was way too slow, the story was very basic and lame that a 1 year old can come up with and I believe HL2 will be the same boring thing all over again. You're right - Vietcong is much more deep and creative.

Trigger
09-14-03, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
Gamecube's main target audience being children is not an opinion, it's a fact. <small>shhh... don't tell the GCN fanboys or else they'll make us eat Xbox controllers</small>

the aftermath
09-14-03, 07:00 PM
Knights of the Old Republic is boring.

kuyax
09-14-03, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The GTA series sucks. Boring missions, lack luster graphics, open ended gameplay gets tedious fast IMO.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Groucho
09-14-03, 07:26 PM
Many so-called "Mature" games are actually aimed squarely at adolescents.

sniper308
09-14-03, 08:40 PM
Online gaming is overrated...

darkside
09-14-03, 09:13 PM
Video Games Suck.

Is that unpopular enough for ya.

sniper308
09-14-03, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by darkside
Video Games Suck.

Man, I think that about covers it for this thread... :D

Trigger
09-14-03, 10:21 PM
Too bad this is the "official" thread, otherwise we could just start a new one and pretend that never happened.

Copenhagen
09-14-03, 10:22 PM
Maybe a 1&O thread :D

edytwinky
09-14-03, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't care if Halo 2 was postponed for eternity

KillaBeez
09-14-03, 11:12 PM
You're right - Vietcong is much more deep and creative.

Whats with the remarks?. Do you hate the fact that I dont like the game (HL) that you have reply with your smart ass remarks?. Why do you stick up for this game (HL) so much?. You saw this thread so you mustve saw my comments from a mile away. I love the Metal Gear Solid series but you dont see me hassleing you just because you dont like it. Give it a break man and respect other peoples opinions.

Outlaw
09-14-03, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by darkside
Video Games Suck.

:lol: LOL! Best post of the week right here! :thumbsup:

Lastblade
09-14-03, 11:21 PM
Final Fantasy VII sucks, I tried to play this turd, not once, but twice! Both times, I got bored somewhere in Disc 1.... I have never been so bored with an RPG (I played Beyond the Beyond longer than FF7).

Actually, I think most FF are overrated, including the vaunted 6 which I finished (but bored in the process). And I enjoy RPGs, I have played through the Phantasy Star series, the Lunar series, etc etc etc.

fumanstan
09-15-03, 12:00 AM
I think Half Life was overrated too.

Goldeneye is a crappy first person shooter compared to anything and everything on the PC during that time. Halo is similar today.

Online RPGs suck.

DLogic
09-15-03, 12:25 AM
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout & Ultimate Battle 22... the US of FB version is mainly for the scalper collector. They have got to be the stiffest fighters I've ever had my hands on. Mainly for the hardcore fans. Budokai is much better IMO.

vd0man
09-15-03, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Why would this be an unpopular opinion?

You obviously haven't had any run-ins with Final Fantasy fanboys (or any Japanese RPG fans for that matter).

fujishig
09-15-03, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by DLogic
Dragon Ball GT Final Bout & Ultimate Battle 22... the US of FB version is mainly for the scalper collector. They have got to be the stiffest fighters I've ever had my hands on. Mainly for the hardcore fans. Budokai is much better IMO.

Find me one person who disagrees that the PS1 DB games released in America are bad...

PalmerJoss
09-15-03, 10:04 AM
Metal Gear Solid 2 was a great game, even with Raiden(whom I loved)

Final Fantasy VII is extremely overrated and one of the worst in the series

Strategy games SUCK

Save Ferris
09-15-03, 11:43 AM
HALO is WAY overrated.

PixyJunket
09-15-03, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Groucho
Many so-called "Mature" games are actually aimed squarely at adolescents. Which are the same adolescents that claim the Gamecube is for "kids".

Mature games :lol:

Jeremy517
09-15-03, 12:08 PM
- RPGs don't take any skill, just a lot of time.

- FF and any RPGs with random battles are lame

- The PS and PS2 controllers aren't good

- SSB:M gets old quick

- Fighting games in general are only good if you play multiplayer

- The MGS games are horrible (although this doesn't seem to be that unpopular, based on this thread)

- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest is great

- Games nowadays need to be harder (this might not be unpopular...)

RoQuEr
09-15-03, 12:21 PM
Expensive cutscenes and CGI effects don't woo me. Using the in-game engine does.

Groucho
09-15-03, 12:27 PM
"Real-time Strategy" games have a lot of the former, but very little of the latter.

Jeremy517
09-15-03, 12:28 PM
"Real-time Strategy" games have a lot of the former, but very little of the latter.

Another very good one that I agree with.

evenflow
09-15-03, 01:06 PM

:lol: True dat.

Trigger
09-15-03, 01:18 PM
Whats with the remarks?. Do you hate the fact that I dont like the game (HL) that you have reply with your smart ass remarks?. Why do you stick up for this game (HL) so much?. You saw this thread so you mustve saw my comments from a mile away. I love the Metal Gear Solid series but you dont see me hassleing you just because you dont like it. Give it a break man and respect other peoples opinions. No hassle... you can like or dislike whatever you want - it's just that your arguments are weak (IMO). It seems like you're just saying it to get a rise out of people by being controversial. I believe fumanstan when he says it's overrated. I just don't believe you when you say it - "it's overrated, overrated, lame, 1 year old baby designed it, boring, and Vietcong is better." I just don't buy it. I'm guessing you didn't play it - at least not all the way through - I'm guessing you pushed the radioactive thing into the machine and then the lab blew up and you walked back to where you came in and the first headcrab killed you - so you quit... plus, you didn't play it until a year or two ago and you played it on the PS2 instead of the PC. That's just my guess - perhaps none of that is true. In any case - don't take it personally, I was just ribbing you with the vietcong comment - I don't care if you like Half Life or not. :)

shizawn
09-15-03, 02:28 PM
MMORPGs are excruciatingly shallow.

Draven
09-15-03, 02:54 PM
Videogames should not have story lines. If it's possible to skip cutscenes, dialogue, mission briefings, etc. I will do it in a heartbeat.

I'm playing a video game to PLAY, not to read.

PixyJunket
09-15-03, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Draven
Videogames should not have story lines. If it's possible to skip cutscenes, dialogue, mission briefings, etc. I will do it in a heartbeat.

I'm playing a video game to PLAY, not to read. :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump: :banana: :hump:

Wazootyman
09-15-03, 03:02 PM
I liked both Devil May Cry 2, AND State of Emergency

Jeremy517
09-15-03, 03:03 PM

I'm playing a video game to PLAY, not to read.

:up:

I don't skip all cutscenes, but I should definitely have the option to skip every one.

goLUCKY
09-15-03, 03:13 PM
Here's mine: NFL FEVER 2004.

My unpopular opinion is that Fever04 is a good game.

I'm hooked on the read-n-lead passing. I love the way that it's implemented in this game. I also like the way the RB's run. Just because it's not as polished as ESPN, or is not called Madden everyone seems to dump on it.

RoQuEr
09-16-03, 01:29 AM

depends on the skill level.

Korea has taken RTS games to an extreme, and there are professional players, televised events, and huge crowds watching. Strategy making, and countering is all that matters.

Warcraft 3 is the exception. They made the game very vanilla in an attempt to lure diablo players into playing WC3 as well.

tanman
09-16-03, 02:30 AM
The N-Gage Rules!

Revoltor
09-16-03, 02:52 AM
Your opinion matters.....

Just kidding.

Trigger
09-16-03, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by RoQuEr
Korea has taken RTS games to an extreme, and there are professional players, televised events, and huge crowds watching. Strategy making, and countering is all that matters.
Oh no doubt - they have everything down to keyboard shortcut science. It's nuts watching them play.

edytwinky
09-16-03, 06:01 AM
I wasted my money on the Xbox

boredsilly
09-16-03, 07:55 PM
Virtua Fighter 4 was a boring fighter game.

KillaBeez
09-16-03, 10:12 PM
No hassle... you can like or dislike whatever you want - it's just that your arguments are weak (IMO). It seems like you're just saying it to get a rise out of people by being controversial. I believe fumanstan when he says it's overrated. I just don't believe you when you say it - "it's overrated, overrated, lame, 1 year old baby designed it, boring, and Vietcong is better." I just don't buy it. I'm guessing you didn't play it - at least not all the way through - I'm guessing you pushed the radioactive thing into the machine and then the lab blew up and you walked back to where you came in and the first headcrab killed you - so you quit... plus, you didn't play it until a year or two ago and you played it on the PS2 instead of the PC. That's just my guess - perhaps none of that is true. In any case - don't take it personally, I was just ribbing you with the vietcong comment - I don't care if you like Half Life or not. :)

No, I got HL in 2000 and thats when I moved to a new place. I got it for the PC. I beat the game but nothing seemed interesting or complex in the story but people told me how interesting and complex the story is but it really felt llike an average FPS and I'v read reviews and been told how unique HL is but still felt like an average FPS for me as most FPS games out there, do a few puzzles here and there, kill aliens, escape from the infested research center with marines and black ops on ur ass, jump here and there, collect ammo here and there. My arguments are strong if I only typed out a short story. I could say the same thing that your arguments are weak for vietcong because it seems you didnt know how to find the enemy sniper on the first level and you always died so you quit. Please go through HL again and follow story this time then come back and tell me how awsome it is cause I beg to differ. However, the expansion pack Opposing Force was fun. having marines at your back was alot of fun when you got into fire fights with black ops and even more fun when theres aliens. it was cool to have a medic heal you when needed, the engineer also was cool when he torched the door for you and 1 of the main reasons why I like OF more then HL because HL is too slowed paced compared to OF and HL tries to be story driven but it failed in that in my book. I'm not too interested in games where theres aliens or futureistic looking things. Opposing Force has to be my fav game that contains aliens. I still don't see how you think my arguments are weak?. So, please explain. Also, explain why you like HL so much? because you defend this game like its god so I really want to know whats so special about HL singleplayer then all the other games out there?. I hate HL singleplayer with a passion and for me too explain the whole story for you, I would be able to write a full book about it.

BTW, vietcong isnt my favorite game for PC if you were wondering. My fav game for PC is Mafia which came out last year and I believe it will be my fav PC game for a while. So do you want to know anything else while I'm at it?.

Added: Oh ya, I like the Doom series and cant wait for Doom3 and I also like Duke Nukem and the Wolfenstein series and those games contain aliens but in order for me to explain why I like those games and not HL would be another book.

Quake1028
09-17-03, 01:07 AM
-Metal Gear Solid 2 is by far the finest game ever created.
-GTA3 and Vice City are both poorly designed games who hide their flaws behind violence and "open-ended gameplay"
-Western rpg's like Morrowind and KOTOR exceed Japanese rpg's like Final Fantasy and Xenosaga in gameplay, story, and execution.

More to come.

magicmanej
09-17-03, 03:32 AM
Superman 64 was pretty good...

Power Glove was the best peripheral of all time...

:)

Trigger
09-17-03, 05:28 AM
No, I got HL in 2000 and thats when I moved to a new place. I got it for the PC. I beat the game but nothing seemed interesting or complex in the story but people told me how interesting and complex the story is but it really felt llike an average FPS and I'v read reviews and been told how unique HL is but still felt like an average FPS for me as most FPS games out there, do a few puzzles here and there, kill aliens, escape from the infested research center with marines and black ops on ur ass, jump here and there, collect ammo here and there. My arguments are strong if I only typed out a short story. I could say the same thing that your arguments are weak for vietcong because it seems you didnt know how to find the enemy sniper on the first level and you always died so you quit. Please go through HL again and follow story this time then come back and tell me how awsome it is cause I beg to differ. However, the expansion pack Opposing Force was fun. having marines at your back was alot of fun when you got into fire fights with black ops and even more fun when theres aliens. it was cool to have a medic heal you when needed, the engineer also was cool when he torched the door for you and 1 of the main reasons why I like OF more then HL because HL is too slowed paced compared to OF and HL tries to be story driven but it failed in that in my book. I'm not too interested in games where theres aliens or futureistic looking things. Opposing Force has to be my fav game that contains aliens. I still don't see how you think my arguments are weak?. So, please explain. Also, explain why you like HL so much? because you defend this game like its god so I really want to know whats so special about HL singleplayer then all the other games out there?. I hate HL singleplayer with a passion and for me too explain the whole story for you, I would be able to write a full book about it.

BTW, vietcong isnt my favorite game for PC if you were wondering. My fav game for PC is Mafia which came out last year and I believe it will be my fav PC game for a while. So do you want to know anything else while I'm at it?.

Added: Oh ya, I like the Doom series and cant wait for Doom3 and I also like Duke Nukem and the Wolfenstein series and those games contain aliens but in order for me to explain why I like those games and not HL would be another book. Okay - so you got Half-Life 2 full years after it came out. Of course everything out at that time was the same thing - HL was innovative when it came out... that's why it was still selling hotcakes 2 years later - heck, 5 years later. After 2 years of being out though, lots of games had hit the market that took what Half Life created and built upon it. I also notice that you finished this game that you hated - and HL was a really long game. Why finish if you hate it? I don't even finish games that I sort-of like.

You once again fail to give any creedence to your argument that it's just like every other game out there though - you haven't given one example of a game it's just like. You also fail to understand that in 1998, it was innovative and good... just because you come along 2 years later and aren't impressed doesn't mean it didn't innovate - which was your initial argument. Sure, the graphics looked dated 2 years later as well... but when it came out, it was awesome.

Even when I first played Half Life, I noted some flaws in it of course - the third act wasn't great and sure some of the story was ripped from (or perhaps an homage to) certain movies or cliched plots. Still - in spite of all that, it was the best shooter ever made at the time and will always be remembered as such. Just look at reviews of the game... hell, it swept all the awards and earned Game of the Year from many sources. You're more than welcome to hate it or talk crap about it - like I said, I don't care... I was just pointing out that you never gave a good reason - and you still haven't.

Opposing Force was decent, but it was really just more of the same... I enjoyed it though - I also enjoyed Blue Shift. I played through Opposing Force twice and Blue Shift 3 times. I played through Half Life 3 times and I love it every time. Does it still wow me like it did in 98? No... but I still like it. I still think it was the best FPS ever to hit the market in 98 and it managed to hold its own in the following years.

Mafia is also on my list right now as the best game ever made... but it came out 4 years after Half Life did... you can't really compare the two. Once Half-Life 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R or whatever game comes out, my "best game ever" list will change. That's just how it works - but I'll always love Mafia.

Doom was an amazing game when it came out - but try playing it today - it's crappy. I tried playing Rise of the Triad recently and couldn't even stand it cuz it was so sucky... I used to love that game. As time goes on, our standards change... and we all have different standards to begin with. It's fine that you like or dislike different games than me... but if you say that some game that earned GOTY and multiple other awards and unanimous good reviews sucks, be prepared to give your reason for thinking that way.

thegame370
09-17-03, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Save Ferris
HALO is WAY overrated.

Word! :thumbsup:

Josh H
09-17-03, 12:21 PM
Videogames should not have story lines.

I disagree whole-heartedly with that. I think games should have good, deep story lines. Of course certain genres (fighters, sports etc.) are excepted from this.

Otherwise I have a hard time keeping interests, and would rather be reading a book or watching a movie. The problem, IMO is not that games have story lines, but that the vast majority of games have lame stories.

To me the best games have great gameplay and great stories (i.e. Metal Gear Solid, KOTOR, FF3, etc.).

Groucho
09-17-03, 01:03 PM
Perhaps this discussion warrants another thread, but I have never seen a game with a good storyline. Most are mediocre at best. It's the nature of the beast.

Josh H
09-17-03, 01:09 PM
Perhaps this discussion warrants another thread, but I have never seen a game with a good storyline. Most are mediocre at best. It's the nature of the beast.

Off the top of my head..

KOTOR
FF3
FF7
Metal Gear Solid

All had stories that while not great (with the possible exception of KOTOR and the FF games) were above mediocre IMO. All these games (especially KOTOR in which I wasn't super crazy about the gameplay) I played as much to find out what happen as to simply kill time/for the game play.

fumanstan
09-17-03, 01:11 PM
Well since i said i felt Half Life was overrated too, i figured i'd mention why :)

I've been into gaming for awhile, especially from Sierra games and even got their dinky little magazine InterAction to hype up their own games, so i had read a lot about the game and all the hype and features surrounding it. From skeletal animation to amazing AI and how great it would be to have a computer controlled character to aid you. All the hype probably dissapointed me a little more than normal, but i guess that's the case with most games.

Anyway, the game itself just felt rather boring. The easiest thing to attack of course is the intro, which makes you sit on a stupid tram thing for 5 minutes waiting to actually do something. I can understand it's attempt to provide the cinematic feel, but that doesn't mean its a good thing :) But aside from that, the gameplay also felt incredibly slow... and while it might be the case that i'm just a sucker for the mindless fast paced shooters, i also loved Deus Ex a few years later, so that couldn't be it :-P The storyline was negligable, which is the most important factor for me in a game. The graphics looked fairly well, although looking at the same ugly scientists and security guards over and over game got a little annoying.

Personally, the game was great on a technical standpoint. Graphics were decent for the time, and the 3d sound was simply amazing with a 4 point surround system and an Aureal sound card. And of course the mods are great now. But the gameplay didn't feel like anything innovative to me. It tried to provide a cinematic experience but for me it failed. The weapons were boring, and the monsters, while looking pretty cool, were just plain annoying to fight rather then fun.

Oh, and i guess being a big hater of Counter-Strike doesn't help either :)

Draven
09-17-03, 01:42 PM
I disagree whole-heartedly with that. I think games should have good, deep story lines. Of course certain genres (fighters, sports etc.) are excepted from this.

Otherwise I have a hard time keeping interests, and would rather be reading a book or watching a movie. The problem, IMO is not that games have story lines, but that the vast majority of games have lame stories.

To me the best games have great gameplay and great stories (i.e. Metal Gear Solid, KOTOR, FF3, etc.).

And that's where we differ, because I'm playing through KOTOR right now and I'm annoyed every time one of the members of my party wants to talk to me.

I just don't care about it. I am always itching to get back to the gameplay. The story is semi-interesting, but if it wasn't there at all I would still be enjoying the game immensely.

And don't even get me started on Metal Gear Solid.

Josh H
09-17-03, 01:48 PM
Oh well, different strokes for different folks. I loved the story and characters talking to me in KOTOR, and found the gameplay to be only a little better than mediocre.

Trigger
09-17-03, 01:55 PM
Well, not to try to change your mind, but to offer my take on all that - I loved the tram part... it had never been done before and it was great to see the entire complex. I got a feel for how big it was and all the people working there and once the commotion started, I knew it would be a long way out. Yeah, the story was a bit thin considering how long it was, but it's an action game after all - I think it left alot to the imagination really with the mysterious guy and the things left unexplained. It was a survival game that turned you into John McClain.

I actually think the pacing in Half Life was perfect - only that by the third act it was getting a little long. I found Deus Ex to be slow on the other hand. So go figure. There was also enough variety in NPCs that it didn't bother me that there was only one barney and only 3 different scientists. No FPS before this had interactive NPCs anyway, much less the variety of characters and enemies.

Another innovation that kept me immersed was that there were no load screens... you would go down a corridor and for a few seconds you would see the word loading and then you would continue on. Up until then, every game out there just had you finish a level and sit through a stats sheet and a load screen with a picture of a monster or something. Then when you pop back into the game, you're in a totally different place. Half Life pulled you in like no other game before (and few since).

Further innovation is the fact that characters could talk to you at all - games before this didn't really have that... not on this scope. And finding a Barney and having him help you was a blast. That level of interaction was miles ahead of any FPS. The AI in HL was well beyond anything that had ever been before as well. There was a big buzz about the AI in Quake 2, but all they did was dodge left and right and duck... big whoop. In HL, they would turn tail and run for cover, they would flank you if in groups, they would lob grenades at you to flush you out... I mean, it was really something for the time. It still stands up today against current shooters. Also never done successfully before is that you could move crates and stuff around to reach higher areas or solve a puzzle.

The sound effects in the game were awesome as well... since you mentioned sound. I mean, the game set out to be cinematic and it achieved that. The question is, did you like the movie? I did. An interactive action movie? hell yeah. Sure, it's not for everyone... but I challenge someone to find something that was better at the time. As for the weapons, I thought they were pretty innovative as well - certainly the weapon selection feature was innovative... if you had a mousewheel. The fact that there were 2 sets of weapons, human and alien was pretty unique if not really well done.

I mean, here's the thing - I don't have to like a certain game to recognize it as being a great game that advances the genre. If you (meaning anyone) can't see that Half Life did that, then you didn't look close enough.

Wag
09-17-03, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by sniper308

I have to agree with you there. Sometimes, depending on the game type (FPS, racing, etc.) I like playing against someone in the same room. Though most of the time I don't even like that. In general it is all about the single player missions for me. I just don't like playing games with others I guess. So taken to the next level, the online component and trend is something I just really don't like. Course it seems the game companies think different...

Here is an unpopular opinion (at least back in the day), but I liked Zelda II: The Adventure of Link for the NES. Yes, I know it wasn't like the first one, which I also loved. I liked its different take and perspective. Course my opinion might be invalid because I liked all the Zelda games...well except the 3DO ones.

PixyJunket
09-17-03, 02:14 PM
I like Zelda II a lot. It rocks the socks.

There were never any Zelda games on the 3DO.

Josh H
09-17-03, 02:35 PM
He probably meant CD-i rather than 3DO.

I agree, Zelda II rocked. The first one was a little before my time (well before I got an NES anyway) and I never could get into it, though I love all the other games in the series (other than the CD-i ones :D).

KillaBeez
09-17-03, 03:07 PM
Okay - so you got Half-Life 2 full years after it came out. Of course everything out at that time was the same thing - HL was innovative when it came out... that's why it was still selling hotcakes 2 years later - heck, 5 years later. After 2 years of being out though, lots of games had hit the market that took what Half Life created and built upon it. I also notice that you finished this game that you hated - and HL was a really long game. Why finish if you hate it? I don't even finish games that I sort-of like.

You once again fail to give any creedence to your argument that it's just like every other game out there though - you haven't given one example of a game it's just like. You also fail to understand that in 1998, it was innovative and good... just because you come along 2 years later and aren't impressed doesn't mean it didn't innovate - which was your initial argument. Sure, the graphics looked dated 2 years later as well... but when it came out, it was awesome.

Even when I first played Half Life, I noted some flaws in it of course - the third act wasn't great and sure some of the story was ripped from (or perhaps an homage to) certain movies or cliched plots. Still - in spite of all that, it was the best shooter ever made at the time and will always be remembered as such. Just look at reviews of the game... hell, it swept all the awards and earned Game of the Year from many sources. You're more than welcome to hate it or talk crap about it - like I said, I don't care... I was just pointing out that you never gave a good reason - and you still haven't.

Opposing Force was decent, but it was really just more of the same... I enjoyed it though - I also enjoyed Blue Shift. I played through Opposing Force twice and Blue Shift 3 times. I played through Half Life 3 times and I love it every time. Does it still wow me like it did in 98? No... but I still like it. I still think it was the best FPS ever to hit the market in 98 and it managed to hold its own in the following years.

Mafia is also on my list right now as the best game ever made... but it came out 4 years after Half Life did... you can't really compare the two. Once Half-Life 2 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R or whatever game comes out, my "best game ever" list will change. That's just how it works - but I'll always love Mafia.

Doom was an amazing game when it came out - but try playing it today - it's crappy. I tried playing Rise of the Triad recently and couldn't even stand it cuz it was so sucky... I used to love that game. As time goes on, our standards change... and we all have different standards to begin with. It's fine that you like or dislike different games than me... but if you say that some game that earned GOTY and multiple other awards and unanimous good reviews sucks, be prepared to give your reason for thinking that way.

errghhh, I still don't understand why you still say my arguments are weak for not likeing HL?. Your only thriving on the awards it got and the huge mod community and nothing else. I don't care about graphics or sound. First thing on my list is gameplay and HL didn't bring any of that to the table and theres a lot more things why I didn't like it and I tried explaining it to you but you dont understand or something. You say my arguments are not good enough reasons to not like the game? why, isnt gameplay what makes you like or dislike game or is there something more besides graphics, sound and story because I would like to know?. According to you, my arguments failed but according to me, my arguments are strong and you really didn't give any reason why you like the game. talking to NPC's or moving boxes is not what makes you like a game despite how innovative it was at the time. The only positive I can say for HL is that the expansion pack OF is cool and the 1000's of good mods for it. Other then that, HL singleplayer fails in every aspect in my book.

Heres the reason why your arguments arnt strong for me and why my arguments are not strong for you. You like HL and I dont like HL. You can spout how good it is and I will fail upon to see that because I dont like HL. I can spout about how bad HL is and you will fail upon to see that and thats why your saying my arguments are not a given reason and thats why I'm saying your arguments are not a given reason and thats where we wont see eye to eye. We can argue about this all we want but it wont end because your giving me weak reasons and I'm giving you weak reasons. You understand?.

Groucho
09-17-03, 03:13 PM
errghhh, I still don't understand why you still say my arguments are weak for not likeing HL?. Your only thriving on the awards it got and the huge mod community and nothing else. I don't care about graphics or sound. First thing on my list is gameplay and HL didn't bring any of that to the table You should read Trigger's second post on the game, which goes into great detail on what made the gameplay in Half-Life so innovative and great.

Josh H
09-17-03, 03:21 PM
errghhh, I still don't understand why you still say my arguments are weak for not likeing HL?.

This is pointless. You're wasting time arguing back and forth over opinions of a video game, which is entirely subjective. Neither of your arguments are weak, and it's lame for him to say your's is (if he did, I didn't read his post, just yours quoted above). There's no objective way to look at games. Different strokes for different folks. One person's greatest game of all time, will pretty much always be someone elses most hated.

It's just opinions. There's no wrong or right, no weak or strong (as long as you played the game your commenting on which you obviously did).

Trigger
09-17-03, 03:22 PM
Okay look - this is getting silly... I already said several times that I don't care if you don't like it. Just because I don't think you've given any reasons to back up that claim doesn't mean anything. Since you asked though - here's your new list of reasons for not liking Half Life.
I don't care about graphics or sound.
First thing on my list is gameplay and HL didn't bring any of that to the table
theres a lot more things why I didn't like it That's all you said - a long paragraph and that's the only thing resembling a reason that I could find. You said I haven't given any reasons why I liked it and if you'll look a few posts up, I give dozens.

In previous posts, you said the graphics are nothing special - and that was a reason you offered for not liking it, and in this post you say graphics don't matter. Which is it?

As for this main argument of yours in this post - "HL didn't bring any gameplay to the table" (to paraphrase your sentence there) - how can a game not bring any gameplay? Do you even know what you're talking about when you say the word "gameplay"? That annoys me when people just say "gameplay" as if to offer it as some retrofit word that will solve any argument. Gameplay? It's the way the game plays? I play games, games don't play. So is it that it's a First Person Shooter? That's the type of game it is, so is that the gameplay? Half-Life set the bar for First Person Shooters when it came out, to say you like First Person Shooters and yet you didn't like the gameplay of HL is just silly.

Look at fumanstan's post above to see what 'reasons' look like. He listed particular things he didn't like about the game - he was specific and then he backed it up with why he didn't like those things. That's how you do it. You don't just say the game had no gameplay and then ramble on about how I don't listen to you and expect me to accept that as your answer.

Josh H
09-17-03, 03:27 PM
Gameplay is what you do in the game, end of story. It's a simple concept, and I really don't see how it could mean anything else. I've never understood the debates that come up here over what it means.

It's what you do when you have control of your character.

He didn't think HL2 brought anything to the table in the gameplay dept. You did. Difference of opinion. Nothing worth arguing over IMO.

It's unreasonable to expect people to elaborate on opinions as well IMO. Really, all that matters when it comes to games is whether you have fun playing them or not. That's the only detail I need.

He didn't have fun playing it for whatever reason, you did. Difference of opinion, big deal.

Trigger
09-17-03, 03:41 PM
a) nobody was talking to you
b) we aren't talking about HL2
c) First Person Shooter is what you do in the game... he said that half life brought no gameplay to the table.
d) it's not unreasonable at all to expect people to elaborate... just because you only care about whether it's fun or not, others wanna discuss why. That's what a forum is for... discussion. I already said I don't care if he liked it or not and I said he didn't have to tell me his reasons, but he asked why I don't accept his reasons, so I told him.
e) quit trolling my posts.

Josh H
09-17-03, 03:45 PM
a) see "d" "That's what a forum is for... discussion" If people only posted when directly talked to, there would be no posts. It's a public forum, people are meant to jump into what ever discusson are going on.

b) my bad

c) it's obvious he meant he thought it brought nothing new to the table and/or that he didn't like the gameplay (i.e. didn't have fun)

d) you rejected his opinion, which is lame. Opinion's are valid (as long as the person played the game which he did) regardless of whether they elaborate on the. You started this argument by not simply accepting that he didn't like the game. And then say that you don't care whether he likes it or not. Doesn't make sense to me.

e) I'm not. Grow up and lighten up. I'm just sick of seeing arguments over opinions on games in this forum. Who cares if someone else doesn't like a game you do? You clearly said you don't care if he likes it, yet you make an issue out of him not going into great details. If you don't care, why do you want details?

Groucho
09-17-03, 03:51 PM
You could cut the sexual tension in this forum lately with a knife.

GatorDeb
09-17-03, 03:53 PM
"Games without cheats suck."

Josh H
09-17-03, 03:56 PM
You could cut the sexual tension in this forum lately with a knife.

No kidding. I'm sorry to be perpetuating it here, but jesus christ, enough is enough. I'm so sick of seeing heated arguments over somethign as banal as opinions on video games. There's simply no reason to get upset if someone plays a game you like and doesn't care for it. I can see getting upset when someone bashes a game without playing it just because "it's kiddy" or they hate the X-box or whatever. But if someone plays a game and doesn't like it, just accept their opinion and move on. There's no reason to argue over opinions.

fumanstan
09-17-03, 04:05 PM
Ignoring the banter for a minute, for me gameplay is how the game feels when you're controlling it. How your character moves, interacts with the setting, and interacts with other characters. Pace, movement, and control are all part of it. For me, Half Life felt slow without a strong enough storyline to keep it moving.

For instance, you can easily argue that Max Payne had repetitive gameplay... you run around and shoot enemies with different guns with the bullet time gimmick. There's nothing really else to it, no puzzle solving, no real thinking involved. The enemies didn't really do anything special, no real technical innovations. But darn if i didn't want to know what was going happen to Max next while thinking "it sure is cool to be lunging with dual ingrams." With Half Life, i just didn't get into thinking "hooray, i'm a nerdy scientist with a crowbar." Well, that's my simplification :P

Wag
09-17-03, 04:06 PM
He probably meant CD-i rather than 3DO.

Yes CD-i is what I meant. Sorry about that. I got my failed consoles mixed up! hehe ;)

Another unpopular opinion was that the Sega Nomad was a sweet handheld system. Playing 16 bit Sega Genesis games on the go? Awesome. Being able to hook it to your TV and plug controllers into it? Awesome. Having an extremely short battery life. Arghh.

PixyJunket
09-17-03, 04:22 PM
I don't think nobody denied the fact that having a portable Genny kicked ass. I think people were turned off by 30 minutes of battery life.

Trigger
09-17-03, 05:12 PM
No kidding. I'm sorry to be perpetuating it here, but jesus christ, enough is enough. I'm so sick of seeing heated arguments over somethign as banal as opinions on video games. There's simply no reason to get upset if someone plays a game you like and doesn't care for it. I can see getting upset when someone bashes a game without playing it just because "it's kiddy" or they hate the X-box or whatever. But if someone plays a game and doesn't like it, just accept their opinion and move on. There's no reason to argue over opinions. If you're so sick of it, then leave the forum. If you're so sick of it, then stay away from me. Don't just crap on my posts when they have nothing to do with you and you have nothing to add to the conversation since you didn't even bother reading the bulk of the conversation.

KillaBeez
09-17-03, 05:18 PM
In previous posts, you said the graphics are nothing special - and that was a reason you offered for not liking it, and in this post you say graphics don't matter. Which is it?

Look again, I never said graphics are nothing special. Infact, I havent said anything about the graphics until I said graphics dont matter for me.

Like I said before, I have many reasons for not likeing HL and not all reasons I put are in the same post.

A)too slowed paced for the length of the game which made it boring and not very fun at all and did not give enough action when needed
B)i didn't get the feel of the charecters like gordon or the scientists because i didnt care much if they died or not and didnt care what happens next
C)the story is not interesting for the length of the game and most of the time, you would be just running and jumping
D)there was no reason for black ops and us marines to kill each other since they are both from American Military agencies or whatnot
E)it tried to give a cinematic feel but how can you if the main charecter doesn't talk or even say a peep, mind you, I dont mind if the main charecter doesnt talk ex. GTA3 but GTA3 didnt give a cinematic feel and it only focused around gameplay
F)the ending is too short and you have 2 choices and I tried both endings and showed us nothing spectacular or really said anything to keep you interested
G)no chain gun, may sound stupid but having a game where you have aliens is a must for a chain gun ex. Doom, Serious Sam etc.

If you still cant understand, heres a simple fact for you since you cant understand my other posts but other people did understand so I'm confused why didnt you get it. I dont like HL singleplayer because I got no fun (gameplay which gameplay contains many elements from the game) out of it. If you still cant understand, well, then, god help us all.

PixyJunket
09-17-03, 05:20 PM
Mommy WOW, I'm a big kid now!

Josh H
09-17-03, 05:21 PM
Lighten up. I'm not going to leave the forum. I want to see it change and go back to being a place to civilly discuss video games. It's fine to discuss the merits of a game. It's ridiculous to see heated arguments over opinions of something as silly and unimportant as video games. All it takes is for people to respect others opinions, and respectfully disagree with them. I'm getting ready to post a thread suggesting just that, to hopefully get some people to think before starting stupid arguments.

I haven't crapped on any of your posts. You just got singled out here as you were the latest to jump all over someone for their opinion (and then claim that you didn't care whether he liked it or not).

Again, if you don't like my posts, just put me on your ignore users list. It'll save you wasting bandwith with post like the above, and losing years off your life getting stressed out and pissed off on a stupid internet message board. You really need to lighten up, you seem to be very bitter for some reason. At least 50% of your posts are jumping all over someone for something (usually holding a different opinion than your own).

At any rate, I'm posting within forum rules as far as I know, so either deal with it or use the ignore user feature. Otherwise quit whining.

Galanthas
09-17-03, 05:35 PM
Time to lighten the mood..

This game will make anyone cry:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/2/196832/bubsy3d_screen002.jpg:whofart:

Josh H
09-17-03, 05:36 PM
Yep, what an awful game.

Shame too, I really liked the original Bubsy on the SNES.

porieux
09-17-03, 05:38 PM
The Xbox controllers are kludgy and make Halo an unplayable mess.

Josh H
09-17-03, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by porieux
The Xbox controllers are kludgy and make Halo an unplayable mess.

Agree on the original.

The Type S is fine though, other than the placement of the white and black buttons (haven't played much Halo, not sure how much they are used in it).

porieux
09-17-03, 05:42 PM
Didn't know they redesigned them. Maybe I'll try again sometime....

Josh H
09-17-03, 05:46 PM
The type S is much smaller and the button layout is different. I actually like it better than the Dual Shocks, but not as well as the GC controllers. I hated the original. Way too big for my hands.

PixyJunket
09-17-03, 06:08 PM
I haven't found a game that requires the black and white buttons to be used for anything action wise. They're usually used for little options. I agree they are better than the Dual Shock, analog triggers are great, and the analog stick in the centerpiece, since it's used the most. The analog stick itself is decades beyond the PS2 one, which I've found to be slippery and hold your thumb well (this was HIGHLY apparent with Gitaroo Man.. and highly frustrating too).

Wavebird > Everything

porieux
09-17-03, 06:16 PM
I like the Dreamcast controllers the best.

PixyJunket
09-17-03, 06:27 PM
The D-Pad on the DC controller is like a sharp knife anxious to cut your thumb. Prolonged play of fighting games of shooters is DANGEROUS.

I kid you not. :(

Josh H
09-17-03, 06:34 PM
I hated the DC controllers. I actually used the madcatz dreampad (or something like that). Only time I've ever prefered a third party controller.

I agree totally with Pixy's thougths on the Type S. The PS2 analog stick sucks, and it's in a stupid place and needs to switch with the d-pad (just like the type s).

Static Cling
09-17-03, 07:58 PM
THIS IS AN UNPOPULAR VIDEO GAME OPINIONS THREAD.

This means that you will, more than likely, not agree with what other people have to say in here. There's no reason, especially in this thread, to give people crap about their opinions. People are entitled to hate a game that everyone else loves, and they're also not required to validate their opinions for everyone else, either.

DrCaligari
09-17-03, 08:12 PM
I used to stick up for the old XBOX controllers until Star Wars: KOTOR. After playing that game for 30+ hours the area on my thumb that would press the buttons became extremely sore. The buttons on the S controller are much easier on the thumbs.

Back to the topic at hand, MY opinions:
- Games that require you to sneak around for most of the game, like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Splinter Cell, are boring.
- The controls in Timesplitters 2 are pretty good.
- The awkward Asteroids/Space War style combat in Star Control II ruined the game. (I only played the 3DO version so the PC one may be better.)
- Panzer Dragoon Saga was only a decent game, not the orgy of gaming goodness people made it out to be.

Giantrobo
09-18-03, 10:36 AM
I finally picked up KOTOR and played for about an hour.

This games is dangerously close to SUCKING in my book. :(

huh?
09-18-03, 10:45 AM
i can't stand HALO

Quake1028
09-18-03, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I finally picked up KOTOR and played for about an hour.

This games is dangerously close to SUCKING in my book. :(

Get off the first planet, and then come back to me.

drmoze
09-18-03, 09:10 PM
The Atari Jaguar console (with Cybermorph) was truly ground-breaking. [Insert dry play-on-words response here.] And I really liked the controllers too! [Really.]

NC-36
09-18-03, 09:48 PM
- Online play is too often used to mask poor single-player design. If the single-player mode is bad then the game is bad.

- Stuntman was excellent. Frustrating and difficult, yes, but games that are this hard yet still keep you coming back for more abuse are few and far between.

- War of the Monsters is the best fighting game ever. The control system actually makes sense to me, making this the only fighting game at which I don't totally suck :p

boredsilly
09-18-03, 11:59 PM
drmoze, didn't the jaguar controller have like 20 something buttons? Were there games that actually used most or all of them or where they just for show?

Supreme Sean
09-19-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by NC-36

- Stuntman was excellent. Frustrating and difficult, yes, but games that are this hard yet still keep you coming back for more abuse are few and far between.[/B]

True that.

tanman
09-19-03, 02:11 AM
Okay yeah I haven't poped my head in here for a couple days. Back to the VG don't have stories discussion.

I think that there are plenty of VG with really good stories. They can range from fantasy to scifi to even every day stories.

VGs that have great stories
Lunar series
FF VI
Secret of Mana
Illusion of Gaia
Metroid Trilogy Nes Game Boy and SNES
just to name a few.

drmoze
09-19-03, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by boredsilly
drmoze, didn't the jaguar controller have like 20 something buttons? Were there games that actually used most or all of them or where they just for show?

The original jag controller had 3 buttons, joypad, and a 'telephone pad' in the middle with 12 buttons (4x3 array, 0-9,*,#). Several games came with overlays for these buttons, which coulkd select views, change weapons, etc. (Usually there was a forward and back for functions, so no need to scroll thru a whole list to get the previous item.) The later controller had 6 buttons. But the controller itself was beefy, with thick round sides that fit well in the hands.

Oh yeah. And the Virtual Boy rocked too!!!

xmiyux
09-19-03, 10:31 AM
I didn't like Metroid Prime at all. The FP perspective used in an exploratory game etc. just made it seem incredibly dull. Then there was the scanning.... and more scanning..... and then scan some more.... blah.

sniper308
10-12-03, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by sniper308

Okay, I've been converted and rescind and denounce all my previous statements like this. Online gaming kicks a$$. X-Box live seems to have gotten it right in my limited experience with it.

I have seen the light.

Josh H
10-12-03, 01:25 PM
Nothing will ever change my dislike of online gaming, if for nothing other than the simple fact that I don't like many multiplayer type games to begin with, more into platformers, RPGs and adventure games.

sniper308
10-12-03, 05:10 PM
Nothing will ever change my dislike of online gaming, if for nothing other than the simple fact that I don't like many multiplayer type games to begin with, more into platformers, RPGs and adventure games.

I was always more into single player games before as well. Simply because I had to be.

However, I do like to play LAN games (system linked Halo is my favorite) with friends but rarely have time due having small kids, etc.

I neither have the time to play alot to get good at multiplayer games, nor the time to actually go play at all day LAN parties (or in my case System Link).

Now I can play when I have time and I've pulled a few friends into picking up Live kits as well (we all have free broadband paid for by our employer), so I have some people to play who $uck as bad as I do, so it's all good. Just need to pick up more Live capable games besides just Mech Assault.

jekbrown
10-12-03, 08:02 PM
i dont have any unpopular opinions about video games... RPGs are crap and Nintendo's 3d games suck... but most people agree. ;) :p

j