Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

X-Box Live with AOL DSL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
X-Box Live with AOL DSL?

Hey guys, finially making the jump over to broadband. I've decided to get AOL Broadband with DSL. I was getting hyped to play X-Box and PS2 online with any lag, until I went to Xbox.com and they said X-Box Live does not work with AOL Broadband. I called up AOL and they said X-Box Live will work with AOL DSL, but not with cable. Anybody use AOL for their X-Box Live, or know somebody that does?

Also I know there are a few versions of X-Box Live out there. Does it matter which version you get? The EB I work at is giving away a free Phantasy Star Online if you buy an X-Box Live starter kit, which already comes with the full version of Tetris Worlds. Is this the most current version, or is there an improved version coming out with possibly different games included?

Thanks,
Dean
Old 09-13-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With AOL Broadband I believe the problem is that they use a USB modem and somekind of software that does not let you share the connection unless you use Proxy software and share the connection from your PC by adding a NIC card and crossover cable directly to the XBox or switch/AP/bridge/etc. as I understood it from a friend that used AOL DSL. This might be why they simply say it won't work on the Xbox site.

AOL BB blow's for power users basically from what i've heard.

Ripped from a amazon reviewer:
"Unfortunately, I'll be taking this back or selling it, since my pleas to AOL to allow Xbox Live are answered with "We're aware of this situation and are working on solutions to allow this"

Last edited by cubanx; 09-14-03 at 12:00 AM.