Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the "Best Buy Coupon" just an urban legend?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I've heard alot of you talk about the game deals you get with this alleged " $5 off Best Buy Coupon". I say alleged because I was at Best Buy this tuesday to pick up Hitman 2 and the guys there had no idea what I was talking about. I looked on the site and I couldn't find anything there either.

So what's the deal? Is this an urban legend or is this on the up and up? If it's legit where do I find it?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-12-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought they were the ones in the magazines?
Old 09-12-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
you mean the $5 off video games or accesories coupon? It's on the Gamer Gift card which is located in the video game section.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I thought they were the ones in the magazines?
If they are, then I haven't been looking very closely. I usually breeze past the ads in magazines. Anyone know which mags are the best to scan for them?
DVD Talk Legend

They are all over the games section at my local BB.
Old 09-12-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Copenhagen
They are all over the games section at my local BB.

If that's the case something is wrong at my local Best Buy. I scanned the games dept and couldn't find anything. Which leads me to believe that managment might be sitting on them.
Old 09-12-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
God, I practically have to wade through them in order to find any merchandise I want. Hundreds in the game racks, hundreds below the new Cd releases, stacks on the card tables in the front, available in the check out line. Keep looking. They're bright (Xbox) green cardboard in a clear CD jewel case with a gift card stuck in the center.
Old 09-12-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new ones are purpleish.
Old 09-13-03, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They had a few in the games section at one of my local Best Buys, but they had tons of them with their regular gift cards at the front.

They gave me hell today about it though. I walked into Best Buy, put $1.00 on the card, got my coupon and the gift card, and picked up FF Tactics ($29.99). I got up to the counter and pricematched Circuit City's price ($26.99), but when I tried to apply the coupon, the cashier had a duck fit. She called a manager, and the manager didn't initially want to apply the coupon either. I finally convinced them, though.
Old 09-13-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was under the impression that you couldn't use the coupon with a PM, but depending on your clerk YMMV.
Old 09-13-03, 12:19 AM

yup. totally depends on the cashier you're dealing with. I tried to get them to honor the coupon when I went there to pricematch KOTOR for $40 a couple of weeks ago but no dice.

my friend, however, was able to get them to pricematch and use the coupon on top of it at the same store just yesterday.

If the cashier has done it before and knows how, they will usually do it but if they have never done it before and have to ask a manager type person, then you are usually out of luck.

so ask yourself, "do you feel lucky? well...do ya?"
Old 09-13-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I was under the impression that you couldn't use the coupon with a PM, but depending on your clerk YMMV.
Used the one out of the summer game guide today for $5 off DOA3 after PMing Target's $16 price ... $11.66 including tax after the deal. I've used the one off the game card in the past after PMing as well. Definitely a YMMV thing.

The day they will not let me do it is the day I say, well guess I have to go across the street to CC where the game is actually on sale since there is no incentive to buy here without the coupon.

Luckily I have had no issues.

Basically get them to do the PM first, then just hand them the coupon. Don't ask if you can use it, just hand it to them after they key in the PM. It may take them a second to get it keyed correctly, but by then they are usually not going back.
Old 09-13-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
If they are, then I haven't been looking very closely. I usually breeze past the ads in magazines. Anyone know which mags are the best to scan for them?
No, that's not it--they DO NOT come out of magazines. It's posted a bunch of times. And here's once more.

You "buy" one of the gamers gift cards (a gift certificate type card). You'll find them all over the games section, in plastic CD cases. Put $1 (or $5, or whatever) on each card (I usually put $5, since I'm going to be using them on $15 purchases anyway). Open the CD case, on the cardboard inside the case is a coupon for $5 off 19.99.

Again, you are looking for CD cases in the games section (new ones are purple, old ones are green) with Plastic chargeable smart-card-type cards, not loose coupons. Not surprised the people on the floor wouldn't be aware of them, they probably never open those cases.

It's possible they aren't at your Best Buy, I suppose, but they've in all the ones I've been to.
Old 09-13-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tons in the BB in the SF area.
Old 09-13-03, 01:40 PM

I believe you are talking about the $5 from the back of this one gift care package. It's not hard to get, you just have to look around and spot this one grey looking CD jewel case with a GREEN gift card.

If you are man enough to deal with some of the jerk-off sales people, then you should look carefully at the packaging. I believe they said that you can "ASK FOR ANY AMOUNT", but some of the people will make their own denomination. They will say a minimum of 5 to 10 dollars. I've tried it numerous times and a lot of those BB people give me different BS every time.

I mean, it's no big deal, but it's just stupid when the package states one thing and all the employees look at you like a freak when you want a 5 dollar gift card.
Old 09-13-03, 02:53 PM

I've given up even putting money on the cards anymore. I just pick one up, bring it to the counter with the game, rip off the card and put it aside and say "i'd like to use this coupon, please". Never had a problem, even if it's being used on a $4.99 demo disc that rings up free.
Old 09-13-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used the coupon when I PM'ed Rise of Nations a few months ago. I agree it is YMMV with the cashiers, but chances are they should take it. When I had them match the Toys R Us buy one get one free deal a few weeks ago, they wouldn't accept the coupon. I'd really make a big deal out of it though, because it says not valid with any other offer, which the buy one get one free deal was. They should always accept it on a regular PM, though.
Old 09-13-03, 04:08 PM

Actually, chances are, they won't take it. The computer checkouts automatically override the coupon if the item is PM'ed. In my expierence, you need that rare store clerk with the inexpierence to not yet know the rules of pricematching and yet the skill to know how to override a cash register. If they call for a manager's help it's all over. I've done it a few times, but usually for me it's a no-go.
Old 09-13-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can argue that you have like a $5 off coupon for say CC or something so it'd be the same price after PM if you used to BB coupon.....
Old 09-13-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've never gotten a PM and a $5 off coupon to work.
Old 09-13-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I have gotten $5 a couple of weeks after a purchase with a coupon for an after-the-fact pricematch. She looked at the $5 and I reasoned with her that even with the pricematch, it was over $19.99 so it would still qualify. No problems there. Try that, buying it with the coupon and then pricematching the next day.
Old 09-13-03, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by GatorDeb
Try that, buying it with the coupon and then pricematching the next day.
That doesn't work either, usually. That's what I did the other day with my Live kit. Bought it with the coupon for $44.99, came back later with the Target one for $34.98. They refunded the difference plus 10%, or $11. I didn't get $15 back, which is the actual differences between the two prices because the $5 comes right off the item on the register receipt.
Old 09-13-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Decker
That doesn't work either, usually. That's what I did the other day with my Live kit. Bought it with the coupon for $44.99, came back later with the Target one for $34.98. They refunded the difference plus 10%, or $11. I didn't get $15 back, which is the actual differences between the two prices because the $5 comes right off the item on the register receipt.
Definitely a YMMV thing as I have done it several times with no issues.
Old 09-13-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CC RULE!!

My Local CC is Pricematch everything that BB offer. To meeeh CC is the best place to shop & the best place to pickup videogames for cheap after Pricematch
Old 09-15-03, 03:32 AM

JTnguyen, read my thread in the store forum regarding just that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.