DVD Talk
New Dream Theater to be released on 11/11!(post includes album and song titles!) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : New Dream Theater to be released on 11/11!(post includes album and song titles!)

DVDGUY1116
09-12-03, 09:56 PM
The thread title says it all. Scroll down to see the title and tracklisting. I will leave room in case you do not want to know the title or tracklisting!
Dream Theater's latest CD "Train Of Thought" is tentatively scheduled for release on November 11th 2003.

The track listing is:

As I Am
This Dying Soul
Endless Sacrifice
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
In The Name Of God

Produced by John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy
Engineered by Doug Oberkircher
Mixed by Kevin Shirley

As my favorite band I am really looking forward to this! One thing I know for sure is that Stream of Consiousness is an instrumental running about 12 minutes. I know this from the Dream Theater song writing contest. Also, the album was inspired by "classic" metal albums like "Master of Puppets" and "Number of the Beast." Of course this is DT so you know what they mean when they say "inspired." Finally, did anybody else notice that "Stream of Consciousness" is being brougt back out as a song title this time when it was the original album title for "Falling Into Infinity." November 11th cannot come fast enough.

Snowmaker
09-12-03, 10:38 PM
Cool! I had no idea. They are still/just finished touring with Queensryche. When the hell did they have time to do this?

Ergyu
09-12-03, 11:21 PM
Is there going to be singing on this one?

edclem
09-12-03, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Ergyu
Is there going to be singing on this one?

Dream Theater always has vocals. They may have instrumental songs, but they always have vocals on their albums.

Maybe you're thinking of Liquid Tension Experiment (which is Portnoy and Petrucci's other band, and is instrumental)?

evenflow
09-12-03, 11:46 PM
Good. Not a huge fan of DT but I have all their albums except for Falling into Infinity and I'll probably buy this new one.

Ergyu
09-13-03, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by edclem
Dream Theater always has vocals. They may have instrumental songs, but they always have vocals on their albums.

Maybe you're thinking of Liquid Tension Experiment (which is Portnoy and Petrucci's other band, and is instrumental)?

I know. Sorry, hehe, I was trying to be sarcastic. I have the albums, love the music, but HATE his lyrics. Voice would be ok if he wasn't so preachy/lovey dovey. I don't know what it is, but he drives me nuts.

Michael Corvin
09-13-03, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Snowmaker
Cool! I had no idea. They are still/just finished touring with Queensryche. When the hell did they have time to do this?

They spent 2 or 3 months in the studio leading up to the tour. That is why if you went to the shows, the tour title was 'Escape From the Studio.'

Don't knock the lead singer for lyrics. You can complain if you don't like his vocals, but Portnoy and Petrucci provide the lyrics of 90% of the songs.

I am hoping this is the un-official sequel to Awake, the last non-concept complete album.

post Awake DT:
ACOS = EP
FII = We all know about this one
SFAM = Concept
6DOIT = another concept, the first disc was along the lines of old DT, but being only 5 songs it just seemed short.

All in all they are my favorite band and SFAM is my all time fave album, but I am hoping this one just rocks out. Can't wait for this one.

Snowmaker
09-13-03, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Michael Corvin

FII = We all know about this one

Know what about this one? :hscratch:

evenflow
09-13-03, 10:41 AM

Know that it sucks. Bad.

Snowmaker
09-13-03, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Know that it sucks. Bad. I like it much better than 6DOIT.

edclem
09-13-03, 12:34 PM
IMO, while FII is probably Dream Theater's weakest album, I wouldn't say that it sucks. There are a couple of really decent tracks. But, granted, some of it just doesn't live up to their standards.

I really liked 6DoIT, but SFAM is my favorite to date.

Here's hoping that this will be another strong release. :)

Ergyu
09-13-03, 08:39 PM
Ya, I forgot that he doesn't even write most the lyrics. My bad.

Michael Corvin
09-14-03, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
Know that it sucks. Bad.

It doesn't suck. It is on par with WDADU. Maybe 3 good songs. Lines in the Sand is a killer song. But it was this album that almost had them calling it quits. Dream Theater and radio friendly album just don't go together. And that was what FII was an attempt of. Disasterous.

Thankfully the fans are very forgiving and they went on to record the best album of their career following it.

DVDGUY1116
09-14-03, 01:21 PM

Here is a quick history lesson about Falling Into Infinity:

Dream Theater had written about two albums worth of songs for their new album called "Stream of Consciousness"; which was a lyric from one of the songs "Lines In the Sand." At the time the band wasn't as hush-hush about everything as they are now so they told the fans that they wanted to try something different and, either on purpose or by accident, a few clips and demos of certain songs found their way into the fans hands. Well, the fans were very receptive of the tunes. Unfortunately, almost all at once, DT lost their management and the record label changed management as well. The new management at Elektra wasn't happy with what DT put together and basically forced them to "give in" to their demands. Some of the better songs were dropped in favor of more radio friendly material(whcich is why the FII B-Sides are better than most of the songs on FII), a big time producer was brought in, Kevin Shirley, and an outside collaborator, Desmond Child, was brought on board to re-write one of the songs called "You Or Me." This song was re-worked into the song with the most radio potential called "You Not Me."
Well, with all this going on they also were feeling a bit cramped with the music they were playing, hence Liquid Tension Experiment, and also changed the album title to "Falling Into Infinity." When the album came out the fans were very taken aback, having heard the stuff that didn't make the album, and whe it didn't perform as expected Elektra pulled all support for it. When the band went on tour, Elektra also failed to support it and forced DT to take an opening act they normally wouldn't take out called Big Wreck. Usually, Portnoy has all the say as to who the opening band is.

All this lead to the band nearly breaking up but they decided to stick it out. Of course it took LTE, a keyboardist change, and getting Elektra to agree to give DT 100% control over their band to help sway their decision. That is basically what happened, although one or two things might not be "exactly 100%" correct, as I compiled all this info from band statements and other things I read and heard, but you get the idea. As for where this album and other DT albums stand in my mind here is the list(A Change of Seasons and live albums not included):

Awake
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Scenes From A Memory
Images and Words
Falling Into Infinity
When dream and Day Unite

Michael Corvin
09-14-03, 09:24 PM
Mine(not including ACOS):

Scenes From a Memory
Awake
Images & Words
6 degree's of inner turbulence
Falling into infinity
WDADU

evenflow
09-14-03, 11:18 PM
Mine (including ACOS):

Awake
A Change of Seasons
Scenes from a Memory
Images and Words
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
When Dream and Day Unite
Falling into infinity

Snowmaker
11-08-03, 08:47 AM
We're narrowing into the home stretch. :D

CephalicCarnage
11-08-03, 03:18 PM
I see that Best Buy has it for $11.99.
I know where I will be on Tues :D

edclem
11-13-03, 01:35 PM
anybody have this yet?
Initial reactions: how is it?
(Planning on picking it up tonight)

Jippy
11-13-03, 02:51 PM
So far, it's pretty good. Like all of DT's stuff, it takes me several listens to get the hang of what they're trying to do. First 3 tracks are very solid and I've been listening to them alot. I haven't quite absorbed the other 4 tracks yet, especially the last two. If you plan on picking it up, the Best Buy price can't be beat.

Hannibal
11-13-03, 07:34 PM
I think it's fantastic. I came more from the metal side than the prog side when I discovered DT so for me it's great. Prog heads from the Yes, PT and Spock's Beard camp are going to have a tough time. Portnoy has stated that this vein of creating a "classic metal" album ala Master of Puppets and Number of the Beast was the predetermined direction for this album only. I love that each album they make sounds different from the rest. Heaviness aside (for them), ToT retains all that is DT in terms of crazy tempos, movie scene samples and incredible playing. This is going to be kickass live...can't wait! Some "thoughts":

After you listen to it a number of times the you discover melodies you missed on first listen. I initially think the sequence of this non concept album does not allow you a chance to breathe and appreciate the tracks. So if you feel this way, try programming the tracks in sequence 1,3,6,2,4,5,7. I think it flows better. Your mileage may vary.

Haven't yet watched the two "making of" videos yet. Beware, I understand once installed this is spyware of some sort...wish we could download them instead after the site awknowledges you've bought the cd.

The old school Metallica/Maiden influences are apparent. The song "Blackened" will come to mind, 5 consecutive 16th notes sung on the same note. But they are completely different riffs/time signatures and in DT's case, doubled by a distorted harmony underneath and a call and response 3rd vocal line.

Jordan is doing more in the background than you realize. He is often doubling Myung while JP is soloing and adding atmosphere touches here and there.. His patches are the best I've heard from him. The unison runs with JP this time are fastest ever. Jp has apparently decided to give Yngwie, Romeo, and Gilbert and run for their money this time around...wish some solos were slower, but he is playing for the song's mood I guess.

The lyrics for this album are DT's angriest ever...fits in with the anger and venom lyrically of old school Metallica and Maiden. Nothing profound and uplifting like past albums...but some great lines "You're the rotted root in the family tree" "Don't cross that crooked step" in Honor thy Father, Portnoy's song about his stepfather's injustices. I understand the almost staccato, jumpy nature of the song now. Movie samples from Magnolia and At Close Range enforce the feeling with the great effect.

Most obvious from the booklet,. This Dying Soul is a continuation (pts 4 and 5) of The Glass Prision (pts 1-3) that is based off the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Has a reprise of the TGP riff and no real ending, how many songs will it take MP to finish this opus?

Vacant has a very beautiful chord progression that is later repeated in Stream of Conscience. Wished it (Vacant) were longer and had a piano or a cello solo..

In the Name of God is about three leaders (which ones?) and their use/abuse of religion on their followers to commit acts "In the Name of God" If you listen at the very end, what is at first inaudible chanting is really DT singing "The Battle Hymm of the Republic."

The art photos Jerry Ueslmann did to match the theme/lyrics of each song are great. Some of them are pre-existing works. Try to decipher some of them.

I don't mind spoken word parts, but some of Labrie's (even an attempt at rapping) are cringe worthy. It's hit or miss and fortunately little parts on a couple songs. I love his vocals on Vacant and Endless Sacrifice.

BASS and more BASS...finally get to hear Myung in the mix. Nice reverberating tone on his "walk" in SOC.

Enough talking for now...more listening.:)

PS
my rankings:
(for ToT)
Endless Sacrifice
In the Name of God
As I Am
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
TDS (as parts of an unfinshed piece)
HTF

and (not including ACOS and Live):
Awake
SFAM
ToT
I&W
6DoIT
FII
WDADU

Michael Corvin
11-13-03, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Jippy
So far, it's pretty good. Like all of DT's stuff, it takes me several listens to get the hang of what they're trying to do. First 3 tracks are very solid and I've been listening to them alot. I haven't quite absorbed the other 4 tracks yet, especially the last two. If you plan on picking it up, the Best Buy price can't be beat.

I'm with you there. I have listened to it 5 or so times now and the first 3 just stick. Vacant is very Disappear-y, only better. It will take more listens for the rest of the album. Maybe it is because the first 3 just hit you in the face, and you are exausted by the time track 4 rolls around.

One of the songs I hear a tad Symphony X shining though. Very interesting.

cdollaz
11-14-03, 08:26 AM
Is that Blackened I hear in the middle of song 2.

This album is really heavy.

I like alot of DT's stuff, but really wish they would lose the keyboards. It just sounds silly sometimes.

Michael Corvin
11-14-03, 08:31 AM
No way. The keys are great.

edclem
11-14-03, 03:26 PM
just getting through this the second time.
VERY symphony X ish at times (which, IMO, is a very good thing)

Overall, i'd give this a 4.5/5. It's not SFAM incredible, but it's definitely a solid disc.

Michael Corvin
11-15-03, 04:38 PM
I agree not up there with SFAM but more solid than 6DOIT.

das Monkey
12-10-03, 12:31 PM
I've been listening to this a lot recently trying to get into it, and I'm still up in the air on it. I love "As I Am" and large portions of other tracks, but on the whole, it's just "too much." Each track starts off great, and then I just get tired of listening to it and want to move to the next one. That's not good. To be fair, I'm coming from the prog side, and this is more metal, so it's understandable that I'm not going to love it.

Anyway, not a bad album but not my favorite either. I guess it ranks around the middle as something I might listen to every once in a while but that won't be in regular rotation.

das

Rypro 525
02-04-04, 02:06 PM
an excellent album so far. and this is my first dream theater album. do most of there albums have the speed metal sound, or do all of their albums sound different.

edclem
02-05-04, 04:56 PM
they're all very different
this is their heaviest cd since, well, ever, but they've had fast songs on pretty much each album (especially Images and Words and Awake)

Regardless, they're all worth checking out.

btw: if you're liking this album, and haven't yet done so, check out Symphony X's The Odyssey. They're another great prog metal (and more to the metal than prog side) band.

Michael Corvin
02-05-04, 06:46 PM
what edclem said. Maybe you can find them cheap at a used cd shop. Each is worth owning. I think Awake and I&W are a great place to start. And if you are up for something different Metropolis:Part II - Scenes From a Memory. Their best album, but not as heavy as the rest of their stuff. It has heavy parts but on the whole more melodic and the focus is on the story and style instead of "let's show off our talents" type of speed playing.

Rypro 525
02-06-04, 11:45 AM
whats the general thought on "a change of seasons". allmusic said that its one of the most impressive albums by a prog metal band.
and what is consitered "progressive metal/rock". looking more for a definition.