Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

VIdeo game SYstem Custom Paint Jobs/DEcals?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 01:05 PM
Doctorwho

I've seen pictures of people doing this. And they sell decals and such online. But has anyone here painted their system/s?

Has anyone done something like flames or a character and not just a color?

Old 09-12-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've installed blue LEDs into my Saturn, Dreamcast, and Gamecube.. (and my friends 8-bit Nintendo, I'da done it to mine but I have the top-loader which is sans LED).
Old 09-12-03, 01:34 PM
Doctorwho

Do you just mean you changed the tiny red light to a tiny blue light? Did you add subwoofers too?
Old 09-12-03, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those Soul Calibur ones are SWEET. I think painting the systems is generally a bad idea, especially now that they have those removal decals, no need to risk ruining your system and dropping its value.
Old 09-12-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I've painted my computer cases before.
Old 09-12-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
I've installed blue LEDs into my Saturn, Dreamcast, and Gamecube.. (and my friends 8-bit Nintendo, I'da done it to mine but I have the top-loader which is sans LED).
Care to share how ya did it? Ive been wanting to change the LED in my Cube to red.
Old 09-12-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
Care to share how ya did it? Ive been wanting to change the LED in my Cube to red.
Do you know how to solder? Really it was just a matter or opening the 'Cube, removing the c.board the LED is on.. burn the crappy dull orange LED off, and affix the blue one. You need to make sure you have the right size LED, the little one, harder to find in blue but Fry's has everything.

Old 09-12-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Do you know how to solder? Really it was just a matter or opening the 'Cube, removing the c.board the LED is on.. burn the crappy dull orange LED off, and affix the blue one. You need to make sure you have the right size LED, the little one, harder to find in blue but Fry's has everything.

I dont soder but I have a friend that does, and Im sure he'd want to do the same to his Cube, although his is platinum so the blue would kick @$$ on his. Thanks for the info, and why is your PSX on its side?
Old 09-12-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont soder but I have a friend that does, and Im sure he'd want to do the same to his Cube, although his is platinum so the blue would kick @$$ on his. Thanks for the info, and why is your PSX on its side?
Ask GizmoDVD!
Old 09-12-03, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
WHY is it on its side? Because its an awesome piece of hardware! Its really the latest craze with Playstation 1 and 2 fans. Ive been thinking about doing it with my Xbox and Gamecube...but there really is no need.

Back on subject...
Who was it that painted there cube to look like an original NES? THAT was awesome!

Also, didn't the European Dreamcast's come with a blue LED? I remember a certain version did...
Old 09-12-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aww.. not that answer I was hoping for.

I'd like to see that Cube, any pics? We made an old NES look like a PS2.. blue LED, spray painted it black and run it on it's side.. I'll need to take teh pics.

I don't remember any DCs with blue LEDs.. it doesn't look good anyway because of the white shell.
Old 09-12-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont' have the pics of the cube that looked like the old school nes, however I do remember reading on another site the guy who submitted the pics, did it with photoshop, it wasn't actually done. It was sorta a what if Nintendo released an anniversary model type thing. It was sweet. though...
Old 09-12-03, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put a blue LED in my Sega Genesis and painted the little red part about the LED blue. I was also going to paint it silver but that plan backfired

Oh well, at least i can play Japanese games on it.
Old 09-13-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My friend tricked out his xbox...I should post some pics. He plopped a 160GB HD in it, a HD activity light, mod with switch, red LED, and painted the entire thing red with some white parts. Looks pretty neat.
Old 09-13-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
Google is your friend

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2002/7/9-29
Old 09-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I actually used to put the stickers from fruit on my systems. My N64 still has a few.
Old 09-13-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

why is your PSX on its side?

Possibly because of read errors. The older PS1s had a problem with reading discs in old age, and for some reason it helped when the system was turned on it's side. Kinda funny, but I had to do it with mine at the end also.
Old 09-14-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
This is from hazy memory, as ours never did this, but I seem to recall what happend was there was a set of gears, or a gear in some sort of track that moved the laser to read the disc, and it would wear out one side of the gears over time. When flipped over, gravity would force it to use the other, unused, set of gear teeth.

IIRC that is.
Old 09-15-03, 03:26 AM

Almost correct milo. A part did wear out, and when that happened, that laser would no longer be aligned, so at some points, it would be lower than it should be. Turning it on its side or putting it upside down, cause the laser to come as close to the disc as possible, making it work again.