Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bon Jovi to release album of greatest hits reworked, acoustic 'with a new twist'

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bon Jovi to release album of greatest hits reworked, acoustic 'with a new twist'

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

BON JOVI
THIS LEFT FEELS RIGHT

BON JOVI To Release Their Greatest Hits With A New Twist;
In Stores: November 4, 2003

BON JOVI are set to release THIS LEFT FEELS RIGHT on NOVEMBER 4, 2003. Co-produced by PAT LEONARD, JON BON JOVI and RICHIE SAMBORA, THIS LEFT FEELS RIGHT is a showcase of the band's greatest hits, each completely reworked from an acoustic base with new arrangements and various styles. (In addition to the Bon Jovi hits, which include "Born To Be My Baby," "Keep The Faith," "It's My Life" and "Wanted Dead or Alive," the band has included two new songs, "Last Man Standing" and "Thief of Hearts".)

THIS LEFT FEELS RIGHT is not the band performing their most popular songs with two acoustic guitars. Each song has been broken down to its core elements, re-discovered and re-crafted, constructing an album that takes the songs you thought you knew in a whole new direction.

"We went into the studio thinking we were making an acoustic record," says Jon Bon Jovi. "We had a definite idea of the record we were going to make. But once we began experimenting with the songs and trying out new ideas we created a very different, unique album. We made a complete left turn and took the project down a different road. "

The band joined forces with veteran producer PAT LEONARD (Madonna, Rod Stewart, Elton John) and began the process of choosing which of the many hits the team would rework. Large rock anthems became jazzy riffs. Songs sung aloud to crowds of 80,000 morphed into intimate serenades. Tempos and instrumentations, phrasings and arrangements have been revamped and each track is as if it were a brand new song. The long hours in the studio have been some of the most creative and productive the band have ever experienced.

"I am having the most fun I've ever had working on this album," elates Richie Sambora. "I'm so excited - I literally cannot wait to get into the studio everyday and get to work."
Old 09-12-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool news. Now if VH1 would only release Def Leppard's Storytellers
Old 09-12-03, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I like when artists do this.
Old 09-12-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In other Bon Jovi release news.... a box set is coming in 2004
Old 10-08-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cover & tracklist

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE
LIVIN' ON A PRAYER
BAD MEDICINE
IT'S MY LIFE
LAY YOUR HANDS ON ME
LAST MAN STANDING
YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME
BED OF ROSES
EVERYDAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
KEEP THE FAITH
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU
THIEF OF HEARTS
ALWAYS
Old 10-08-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
a total acoustic sounds better to me. But then again, I haven't heard this cd.
Old 10-21-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clips from all the new songs

http://www.islandrecords.com/bonjovi/discography.las
Old 10-23-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heard the clips....

And as a HUGE fan for 15 years it absolutely breaks my heart to admit that this album is a piece of shit

Old 10-23-03, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting album. Was thinking of picking it up, until I heard that fans outside the US will get a better version with extra songs / videos.

I'm tired of bands that do this to their American fans. So Bon Jovi and their reord label will not get any of my money, I'll just download everything instead.
Old 10-23-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I gotta somewhat agree with GuessWho...
It's nice when bands want to give a new "flair" to their old songs but these just don't sound right. For me anyway. It just doesn't.
But who was the one singing with Jon on Prayer and I'll Be There for you?
Old 10-24-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow...just heard these clips just for curiosity sake from the site and I have to say they destroyed some of these songs (like Born To be My Baby, Living on a Prayer-ouch). These guys might as well just head to Vegas like Celine and Elton.
Old 10-24-03, 01:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by JestersTear
Interesting album. Was thinking of picking it up, until I heard that fans outside the US will get a better version with extra songs / videos. I'm tired of bands that do this to their American fans.
</small>Japanese albums usually cost a lot more than US ones hence the extra track(s).

And, because UK CDs also tend to be pricier, the record companies have started encouraging we Brits not to import cheaper CDs from overseas by occasionally putting on an extra track or two on those for sale within the UK.

So, it seems that you get what you pay for.

Unless, of course, you make a conscious decision to steal it....

Note to all, please remember the rules here concerning copyright theft and its place in discussions. If in doubt, feel free to read the sticky atop the page: READ THIS FIRST: concerning bootlegs, threadcraps, personal attacks etc.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Old 11-04-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BUMP for release day..... I didn't like the clips but am tempted to try the full versions for $9.99; maybe the clips were the worst 30 seconds of each.... I don't know.
Old 11-04-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Didn't the "unplugged" craze die off about 10 years ago?
Old 11-04-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jason
Didn't the "unplugged" craze die off about 10 years ago?
They created the unplugged craze*, they can kill it

*MTV acknowledges that Bon Jovi & Sambora's acoustic set at an MTV awards show was the inspiration for the Unplugged tv series
Old 11-04-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im a big fan of Bon Jovi and 80's hair metal in general, so I had to pick this up at Best Buy today... after one listen I dont know what to think, it's kind of a mix bag, some new versions are really great (It's My Life, Bad Medicine) and others are painful to listen too. (You Give Love a Bad Name)

Maybe it will grow on me... but it's hard to keep The Darkness out of my CD player.