Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Budget PS2 games (Road Trip, Seek & Destroy, Gadget Racers, etc.)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you guys played any of the following games?:

- Road Trip ($15)
- Gadget Racers ($15)
- Seek & Destroy ($10)

GMR Magazine recommended Road Trip and Seek & Destroy a couple of issues back, and with the games being so reasonable in price, I took the plunge. I still haven't played much of S&D yet, but I am completely addicted to Road Trip. Long story short, it's a "CarPG" (besides racing, which is only a small part of the game, you can drive to different towns, talk to people, customize the look of your vehicle, etc.). Gadget Racers is like Road Trip but with only the races (no RPG elements). If you love the races in Road Trip like I do, you'll want to play Gadget Racers. I consider it an add-on of sorts to Road Trip even though it's its own separate game.

Road Trip can be found at Best Buy and BestBuy.com, Seek & Destroy is available at Best Buy (not sure about the website), and Gadget Racers seems to be OOP and hard to find, but I snagged a copy at Toys R Us for $15, so check there.

If you've played any of the above games, what do you think of them? I can't get enough of Road Trip and Gadget Racers. For the price, they're easily the best value on PS2. If I had paid $50 for them, I still would've felt that I was getting my money's worth. How many budget titles can you say THAT about?

I remember GatorDeb mentioning that she bought Road Trip and Seek & Destroy with her PS2 recently. Deb, if you're reading this, I'd love to hear your thoughts on those two games.

Everyone, please feel free to comment on the above three games, and please recommend any other notable budget games (i.e. under $20) for PS2 and other systems.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-03, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seek and destroy looks and plays like it should be 10 dollars.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I loved the game. Of course things got a little silly when I needed wing attachment on my tank so I could fly. It gets worse too as you need a submarine attachment to go underwater.

Oddly enough, the game uses real life tanks like the M1 Abrahms. I think the list goes up to 150 or so.

Anyway, the only flaws I could find are the short length of the game and the lack of difficulty. You can restart the game after beating it for a harder mode but I'm not sure what the payoff on that is.

As for other budget games, I'd recommend Mobile Light Force 2 ($9.99). A very intense (read: hard!) shooter with neat little polygon special effects all over the place. I really don't know how to review a shooter but I can tell you MLF2 is fun. 6-8 different characters with extremely different styles of play and fun little combo systems for racking up points and credits.

One last title I'll recommend is the budgetacular Fantavision (9.99-14.99). It's a puzzle game where you move a on-screen cursor around trying to detonate rising fireworks. The jist of it is to have similar colored explosions detonate others and combo the hell out of it. Very fun, very underrated.

I'd love to hear other people's opinions on these.
Old 09-11-03, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Revoltor
Seek and destroy looks and plays like it should be 10 dollars.
I dunno. The graphics look nice to me. Granted, they aren't the best on the system, but they get the job done. The controls also seem very solid. I haven't played it much though.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though as I loved the game. Of course things got a little silly when I needed wing attachment on my tank so I could fly. It gets worse too as you need a submarine attachment to go underwater.
Yeah, it's a bit offbeat, but what do you expect from a Japanese game?

As for other budget games, I'd recommend Mobile Light Force 2 ($9.99). A very intense (read: hard!) shooter with neat little polygon special effects all over the place. I really don't know how to review a shooter but I can tell you MLF2 is fun. 6-8 different characters with extremely different styles of play and fun little combo systems for racking up points and credits.
I forgot to mention this one. I have it too. I haven't played much of it yet, but it seems like a really cool shooter - especially for the price. Innovative too.

One last title I'll recommend is the budgetacular Fantavision (9.99-14.99). It's a puzzle game where you move a on-screen cursor around trying to detonate rising fireworks. The jist of it is to have similar colored explosions detonate others and combo the hell out of it. Very fun, very underrated.
I got this for $5 new (can't beat that), but honestly, I couldn't really get into it. I was able to do fairly well without really knowing what I was doing (randomly pressing buttons and moving the cursor around, etc.), which kinda worries me. Of course, I have to give the game a more thorough playthrough first before I can accurately judge it (I only played it for a few minutes), but it didn't seem like my cup of tea to me.
Old 09-11-03, 12:44 PM

Another good puzzle style game for PS2 is Mojo:

http://dvdtalk.pricegrabber.com/sear...asterid=983675

I've seen it at Fry's and Virgin Megastore for ~$10, too. The best description I can give it is that it is sort of a combination of Super Monkey Ball and Marble Madness. It's hard, too!
Old 09-12-03, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
Another good puzzle style game for PS2 is Mojo:

http://dvdtalk.pricegrabber.com/sear...asterid=983675

I've seen it at Fry's and Virgin Megastore for ~$10, too. The best description I can give it is that it is sort of a combination of Super Monkey Ball and Marble Madness. It's hard, too!
I loved Marble Madness back in the day, but I could never really get into Super Monkey Ball for some reason, so would you still recommend Mojo to me? It looks appealing to me, but the reviews for it were rather low all across the board.
Old 09-12-03, 08:31 AM

You should try Mobile Light Force 2. It's only around $10 at Best Buy. Excellent shooters, lots of replay value.