Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Soul Calibur 2 U.S. Sales

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soul Calibur 2 U.S. Sales

Dunno if they are accurate, but I believe Matt from Ign.cube posted these originally in the IGN forums. Can't check myself since I'm not an Insider

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=5365

News: GameCube Soul Calibur 2 Sales
Sep 10th 2003 23:47 by Tim

Some pleasing news for you all.
Soul Calibur II sales data thus far:

GameCube: 245,000 units sold in the US
Xbox: 205,000 units sold in the US
PS2: 200,000 units sold in the US

Looks like Link is kicking both Spawn and Heihachi's butts, which is always good news.

It's a little surprising that XBox is outselling the PS2 versions. Given that GameCube has been dubbed as the worst console for fighting games (rather unfairly) these sales are music to my ears. It's also maybe a reminder of just how powerful cool exclusive characters can be...

- by Matt Plummer
Old 09-10-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny how putting a little effort into each version of a multiconsole game can make it a solid seller on each console.
Old 09-10-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
Funny how putting a little effort into each version of a multiconsole game can make it a solid seller on each console.
Yep. I actually felt sorry for the PS2 version because many people undoubtedly thought, "Cool, Xbox got Spawn.....COOL, Cube got Link!....I can hardly wait to see who we got.....oh boy..... Who the hell is Heihachi? An Iron Chef or something?"
Old 09-10-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm surprised the PS2 version did so well since the reviews stated it had bad controls, unstellar graphics, and long load times. Are there really that many people without a second console?
Old 09-10-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
Yep. I actually felt sorry for the PS2 version because many people undoubtedly thought, "Cool, Xbox got Spawn.....COOL, Cube got Link!....I can hardly wait to see who we got.....oh boy..... Who the hell is Heihachi? An Iron Chef or something?"
No doubt... I thought Heihachi was the Wal-Mart electronics brand...

Also, X-Box and Gamecube owners don't have as many high quality titles as PS2 (not a console bash!), so when something like SC2 comes out, they're all over it like **** on a blanket...
Old 09-10-03, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cheapskate

Also, X-Box and Gamecube owners don't have as many high quality titles as PS2 (not a console bash!), so when something like SC2 comes out, they're all over it like **** on a blanket...
Exactly. Gamecube owners had like exactly 0 good fighting games before SC2 to play. At least the Gamecube has 1 now, better than the N64 which had 0 in 5 years of existence.
Old 09-10-03, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by evenflow
Exactly. Gamecube owners had like exactly 0 good fighting games before SC2 to play. At least the Gamecube has 1 now, better than the N64 which had 0 in 5 years of existence.
A few million gamers would disagree with you:

Old 09-10-03, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Galanthas
A few million gamers would disagree with you:

I said fighting games.
Old 09-10-03, 07:12 PM

And I say again, a few million gamers will disagree with you. Just because you personally don't look at it as a fighting game does not make it not one.
Old 09-11-03, 09:51 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GatorDeb
I'm surprised the PS2 version did so well since the reviews stated it had bad controls, unstellar graphics, and long load times. Are there really that many people without a second console?
The last worldwide sales numbers I saw (around may) were 50-60 million PS2s, 8-10 million X-boxes, 4-5 million GCs. The ranges are due to different numbers in different articles.

So the answer to your question is yes.
Old 09-11-03, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally posted by cheapskate
No doubt... I thought Heihachi was the Wal-Mart electronics brand...

Ahh, yes, PS2 Quality titles... I'm sure there are so many... (Not a console bash!)
Old 09-11-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PS2 owners have VF4. If you're not a fighting game fanatic, that might be plenty for a lot of people.

I guess Xbox has DOA3, but I don't consider it even close to VF4 and SC2 in terms of depth (just MHO).
Old 09-11-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Don't forget that VF4 Evo came out the same week as SC 2, got (slightly) better reviews, and sold for $20 or less. I'm sure that may have put a dent in SC's sales on the PS2, at least to a small degree. But certainly putting in such a ho-hum exclusive character in the PS2 version hurt. I'm sure they must have been aware of that before the US release and added an extra content disc in hopes of boosting sales on the system.
Old 09-11-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Ahh, yes, PS2 Quality titles... I'm sure there are so many... (Not a console bash!)
You're right... I just did a search at gamerankings.com...

Where's the nearest dumpster!??!

*throws PS2 out window*

Old 09-11-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Don't forget that VF4 Evo came out the same week as SC 2, got (slightly) better reviews, and sold for $20 or less. I'm sure that may have put a dent in SC's sales on the PS2, at least to a small degree. But certainly putting in such a ho-hum exclusive character in the PS2 version hurt. I'm sure they must have been aware of that before the US release and added an extra content disc in hopes of boosting sales on the system.
Something tells me Jak from Jak II or the lead in Mark of Kri would have made better PS2 characters.

Jeremy
Old 09-11-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Just by saying that a console bash isn't one, really doesn't make that comment any less of one.
Old 09-11-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Just by saying that a console bash isn't one, really doesn't make that comment any less of one.
I think that was sarcasm directed at cheapskate who said that there aren't many quality GC games but that wasn't a console bash. About Nintendo, it's okay to say, say it about Sony, someone complains
Old 09-11-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jrutz
Something tells me Jak from Jak II or the lead in Mark of Kri would have made better PS2 characters.

Jeremy
I'm suprised they didn't try for someone like Cloud from FFVII with his giant sword. Or maybe Goofy from that other Square game
Old 09-11-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So true...

I should probably have worded what I said a little better...

I really meant that there are, overall, LESS titles on both Gamecube and X-Box... (true... no?) so when a really great QUALITY title comes along, people are more likely to pick it up?

...and the amount of sarcasm... I'm appalled...
Old 09-11-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Galanthas
And I say again, a few million gamers will disagree with you. Just because you personally don't look at it as a fighting game does not make it not one.
I wanna see some proof that this Smash Brothers melee sold 2 million copies.
Old 09-11-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Actually to be fair, it was really more of a software bash. For a console bash, please see almost any other post by Gizmo.
Old 09-11-03, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
I wanna see some proof that this Smash Brothers melee sold 2 million copies.
I pretty positive SSBM has sold a bit over 3 million worldwide. I'll see if I can find the info.
Old 09-11-03, 02:03 PM

Capcom VS SNK 2 Eo is good. The GC-ism is an added bonus for fighter novices. Bloody Roar was alright until it got "X"d into Bloody Roar Xtreme on X-box. Ultimate Muscle (very fighter-ish) is really fun. Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance was so-so and I'd argue that Killer Instinct on the 64 was fun. I'm glad to see So. Cal. GCN outsell the others. With F-Zero the day before, it's been a fun few weeks topped off with FFTA.
Old 09-11-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, it's been a nice Nintendo month.

Too bad it's going to taper off with SMB3.

Then we have Fire Emblem. And we still have Mario Kart, Mario Golf Advance. Nintendo seems to be in a roll.
Old 09-11-03, 02:21 PM

I didn't feel like searching everywhere. Couldn't find Europe sales numbers for it.

Japan GC Nintendo Nintendo All Stars: Super Smash Bros. DX 1.20 Million
http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten2.htm

U.S GC Nintendo Super Smash Bros. Melee 1.60 Million
http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.htm

Sales may be higher now, dunno when the lists were updated last.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.