the O.C. - 09/09/03

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
the O.C. - 09/09/03

Episode 6 : "The Girlfriend"

(from Yahoo! TV listings)

"Kirsten is dismayed when her father, Caleb, arrives at his birthday party with a girlfriend; Kirsten endures a barrage of criticism from Caleb; Marissa wavers in her feelings for Ryan and Luke."

The intro w/ the grandfather's young girlfriend - one of the best ever.

I am at a loss - there were no fights this week. Not a punch thrown or a bullet shot - just verbal sparring. Weird.

Last edited by B.A.; 09-09-03 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Okay, he got shot in the arm, not in the head" Funniest quote ever... i mean today.
Old 09-10-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good ep; nice to see Seth finally getting some. The thing with Ryan and Caleb's girlfriend was just too weird though.
Old 09-10-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
This show is addictive
Some parts are a bit predictable i.e. Marissa walking in on Ryan and the hot *grandma* but other parts seem disjointed. Characters like Marissa's mom or Summer turn on a dime from week to week. I guess they can't settle on the character yet. I do have to say that they are *giving* away a lot of plot in these episodes. I don't know how they are going to keep up.

Anyone else notice that when Kristen and Caleb were talking about her sister/daugher, the closed captioning broadcasted a brother/son. I guess they decided to change that for when they might want to introduce another hot female character i.e. to seduce Sandy. This is SO giving me my 90210 fix!
Old 09-10-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The possible step-grandma: Day-ummm!!!
Old 09-10-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: the O.C. - 09/09/03

Originally posted by B.A.hist

The intro w/ the grandfather's young girlfriend - one of the best ever.

I am completely addicted to this show.
Old 09-10-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The grandpa's girlfriend is a hottie!!!
Old 09-10-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Seeing that Marissa's mom is still listed as a guest star, it seems obvious that she will get her divorce. However, I would not be surprised to see her come back later as Caleb's new GF.
Old 09-10-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pics of Grandma, or her name?

I liked her voice as well as her body. The predictability od the show is getting old, but other than that
Old 09-10-03, 11:18 AM
Banned

Grandma was

Nichole Hiltz. And she is hot!

She was in Stuff magazine...

Last edited by CitizenX; 09-10-03 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-10-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

FOX PICKS UP FULL SEASON OF THE O.C.

Wednesday, September 10, 2003 - 11:52 AM
FOX Takes In 'The O.C.' For Full Season
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- FOX has picked up its summer drama "The O.C." for a full season of 22 episodes. The series will wrap its summer run next week before returning on October 30 in its new fall home of Thursdays at 9:00/8:00c.

The pickup comes as little surprise as the Warner Bros. Television-produced series once again hit highs in households and adults 18-49 last night (according to fast national data), winning its time slot in the latter category for the fifth straight week. The network had previously committed to six additional scripts of the series, a sure sign the show was well on its way to a back-nine order.

FOX executives are touting the news as a sign that year-round programming can succeed on the broadcast networks not to mention proves that not all serialized programming fails. Nevertheless, "The O.C." faces a rocky future as the series will square off against CBS' "C.S.I." and NBC's comedies when it moves to the Thursday, 9:00/8:00c hour.

And despite rumblings the series would stay on Tuesdays this fall after the shelving of a second go around of "American Juniors," FOX topper Gail Berman made it clear that wasn't the case telling Daily Variety, "We have no plans to change our schedule at this time." She added, "We're going to review everything that happens as the fall season rolls out. We'll take it day by day."
Old 09-10-03, 02:20 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Another good episode last night.
Old 09-10-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
The preview for next week mentions it as the last of the summer episodes, so I guess that means the high school will probably become the next major setting in the show starting soon.
Old 09-10-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Banjo
The preview for next week mentions it as the last of the summer episodes, so I guess that means the high school will probably become the next major setting in the show starting soon.
I'm assuming after the World Series that is where it will go w/ the story.

Anyhow - this is great news indeed.
Old 09-10-03, 04:19 PM

They're moving it to Thursday's at 9. How is going to do in that time slot, since it'll be up against other really big shows?
Old 09-10-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that we should have been shown the scene where Caleb turns Jimmy down for a job.
Old 09-10-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by breaux124
They're moving it to Thursday's at 9. How is going to do in that time slot, since it'll be up against other really big shows?
not good for me since that's when Smackdown Airs :-(
Old 09-10-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by breaux124
Crap. I like this show, but not enough to pull me away from Scrubs (assuming you mean 9pm eastern and that Scrubs hasn't been moved).
Old 09-10-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The O.C. will be going against Will & Grace/Coupling on NBC, and CSI on CSB.
Old 09-11-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As someone else said, this show really is addictive.

And I have to point out again, since I am a comic book geek. That there is someone on the creative team that REALLY loves comic books & this is no coincidence going on 3 straight weeks of this. 3 weeks ago it was a girl ranting like a geek on a message board about what is wrong with the comic book industry. 2 weeks ago it was Seth & Ryan reading & talking about a recent issue of the Legion where they even referred to what # of the story line it was. And this week it was Ryan reading an issue of Azrael which was shown on camera quite a bit. I think that is awesome.
Old 09-11-03, 06:14 PM

I like the show and its very addictive, the next episode looks good though
Old 09-13-03, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want them to adopt me too! I'm glad Seth got somewhere with Summer.

Old 09-13-03, 06:17 PM

this show is definitely addictive, and pretty damn good. thursdays are going to rule for me with the lineup of Survivor and then The OC... also I like the inclusion of the comics and videogames every week, its a nice touch
Old 09-15-03, 03:13 PM

Well there is some good news and some bad news according to the LA Times. Each weeks episode has built upon their audience and last weeks episode attracted its largest audience ever, at 9.2 million viewers. Plus Fox just ordered a full season committment for the series. That's the good news. Now the bad...

Retyped excerpts from the original article:

Fox had originally announced that the show would come back Oct. 30 in the treacherous 9 pm. Thursday hour ruled by CBS' "CSI" and NBC's "Will & Grace". Since then, however, executives have begun reevalutating the notion of pitting their emerging hit against a proven juggernaut (CSI). At this point, then, the show's producers and fans must wait to see what the network decides. Fox plans to promote "The O.C." heavily during the baseball postseason.

And finally this comment by the writer of the article "Whether its growing audience will be waiting for it remains to be seen".

The reason Fox likes this on Thursday nights, instead of other nights, is because they would like to promote their movies opening up in the theaters for that weekend and Thursday nights are the best night for that.

We shall see what the bozos of Fox decide to do in this case.

Chris