Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: The Director's Cut Trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-09-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Just noticed this up on Apple's website

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/alien_25/
Old 09-09-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eh, doesn't look that great. I hope it's not one of theose crap monster movies with no blood and you barely see the monster. Underworld's gonna kick it's ass!
Old 09-09-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hehe.
Old 09-09-03, 06:12 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this with Jeepers Creepers 2. Hope it means they'll actually do a wide release... we didn't get the Exorcist re-release so I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old 09-09-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Something really weird happened while I played this trailer...

only the dialogue was audible. Everything else was totally silent. At first I thought this was to scare people and that there would be loud music and effects later, but it never happened...is it a Quicktime error of some kind? I am playing MP3s and other things with no problem, so I don't think it's my sound card...
Old 09-09-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Eh, doesn't look that great. I hope it's not one of theose crap monster movies with no blood and you barely see the monster. Underworld's gonna kick it's ass!
Dude, don't be so quick to judge. After reading what's been added [restored, whatever] I think it'll be a tight race.
Director Ridley Scott has revisted his classic film Alien. 20th Century Fox is re-releasing a new director's cut with over NINE minutes of brand new, never-before-seen footage to replace minor edits made to tighten up the pacing of the film. Gone are the fleeting shots of Ripley in her panties. In its place are new scenes of the alien donning a skintight leather outfit and an entire new subplot where the Nostromo victims are subjected to what's described as "wire fu tenderizing" before being slaughtered by the alien.
Old 09-09-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jepthah
Something really weird happened while I played this trailer...

only the dialogue was audible. Everything else was totally silent. At first I thought this was to scare people and that there would be loud music and effects later, but it never happened...is it a Quicktime error of some kind? I am playing MP3s and other things with no problem, so I don't think it's my sound card...
I'm getting the same thing. A few lines of dialog are the only sound. And I agree that it could be some bad editing decision (going with the "in space nobody can hear you scream" theme). If it is, it doesn't work well at all.

Also,
what's described as "wire fu tenderizing"
scares me more than the alien itself.
Old 09-10-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh, why must directors muck with classics? What's wrong with some panties? Besides the view it afforded, that scene helped her character seem all that more vulnerable when

Spoiler:
the alien appears on the escape pod and she has to find a way to get into the protective space suit, the image of bared skin versus all those teeth and sharp talons - it's a nice juxtaposition

but now it's gone Fooey.

-Gunshy
Old 09-10-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gunshy
Eh, why must directors muck with classics? What's wrong with some panties? Besides the view it afforded, that scene helped her character seem all that more vulnerable when

Spoiler:
the alien appears on the escape pod and she has to find a way to get into the protective space suit, the image of bared skin versus all those teeth and sharp talons - it's a nice juxtaposition

but now it's gone Fooey.

-Gunshy
He was being sarcastic.
Old 09-10-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Awful trailer. they wanted to go with the in space no one.... theme but they failed. there is a reason why you need abient noise. they could have even played with the aliens score. that is suspensful in itself.
Old 09-10-03, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In its place are new scenes of the alien donning a skintight leather outfit and an entire new subplot where the Nostromo victims are subjected to what's described as "wire fu tenderizing" before being slaughtered by the alien. [/B]

If "Alien Resurrection" was made today i'm sure this would be in the movie somewhere.

Call: Free your mind Ripley

Ripley: There is no alien.
Old 09-10-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sorry but Sigorney's tiny silk panties make me feel all funny in the pants.

I actually prefer Alien to Aliens.
Old 09-10-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm sure the online trailer was defective or something. I had sound when I watched it in the theater.
Old 09-10-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I D/Led it from another location and the sound was fine.

OTOH, they should have just kept the original Alien trailer, an all-time masterpiece of editing, and inserted the new title and date. No need to mess with perfection.
Old 09-10-03, 02:16 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I am so psyched for this!
Old 09-22-03, 10:24 AM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have a link to more information on what's been done to the film, other than the digital remastering? Or is that it?
Old 09-22-03, 11:55 AM

i saw the one attached to Underworld and the sound was there
Old 09-23-03, 09:06 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by palmberg
Does anyone have a link to more information on what's been done to the film, other than the digital remastering? Or is that it?
well, if you noticed really quickly in the trailer there is a shot from the cut 'cocoon' scene that surprised me in thinking that Scott decided to reinstate this scene back in.
Old 09-23-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay trailer, except for that ending bit, which was in 100% compliance with the current edition of "How to Make a Movie Trailer". And I want to burn every copy of that (nonexistent) book.
Old 09-23-03, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I am SOOO excited about this. Absolutely one of my favorite all-time films, it's a perfect masterpiece of art design, sound design and cinematography, not to mention great tension and suspense, believable characters, solid performances, cool gore and Sigourney's aforementioned panties. LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.

I remember salivating over the "Alien" SE laserdisc set all those many years ago. It was the primary reason why I got a laser player. I'm very curious to see how they integrate those cut scenes back into the movie...

Spoiler:
...since in the cut scenes we see that the Alien drone has cocooned Dallas and Brett, thus turning them into eggs which will begin the life cycle of the alien again. Since these scenes were originally cut, Cameron was able to add the Queen to the Alien life-cycle in "Aliens". So I'm not sure how they're going to explain this conflict or reproductive cycles...unless they're suggesting that if a Queen isn't present to produce the eggs, a drone really COULD create eggs from a human host?

Ok, end geek out...

At any rate, I'll be there for the first show of the day and probably will go back every day that week.
Old 09-24-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm..you are overanalyzing it. The alien can coccoon somebody but it doesn't mean it will impregenate it. I am assumuing its just an instinct.

There still needs to be an egg implanted to start the process.
Old 09-24-03, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by chanster
Umm..you are overanalyzing it. The alien can coccoon somebody but it doesn't mean it will impregenate it. I am assumuing its just an instinct.

There still needs to be an egg implanted to start the process.
I'm really don't think I'm overanalyzing it. I don't have the material on hand obviously, but I know that the original designs by Giger and the material they shot was meant to infer that the reproductive process lead to the cocooned body be turned back into an egg, thus explaining where the eggs originated from. When the scenes were cut, it left an opening for Cameron to create the Queen in Aliens. I didn't just pull it out of my ass. I'll try to find some documentation...
Old 09-24-03, 12:57 PM

Well, our lovely firewall won't let me access a lot of sites, but a hasty google turned up the following from the Digital Bits review of the 'Alien' DVD:

Spoiler:
"The Cocoon Sequence
Of course, the most talked about cut scene is this one. Ripley, having just found Parker and Lambert slaughtered, would find her way into the landing gear bay. She was to come face to face with the alien's breeding process. She finds Dallas cocooned (to be used as a host for a facehugger), with Brett transforming into another alien egg. Dallas begs to be killed, and Ripley, in a crying rage, lays waste with her flame thrower to the entire room. This "lifecycle" is contradictory to what we later learn about the alien reproductive cycle, as seen in the sequel Aliens."

I think there's also some Giger illustration work to back this up in his "Alien" design book.
Old 09-24-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, the deleted scene on the DVD is pretty short and shows Dallas cocooned. The Digital Bits folks might be taking about what the original script had planned. I am not sure how much was filmed, etc. I could be wrong on how much was shown in the deleted scenes of the DVD, but I pretty much remember it as similar to the "discovery scene" in Aliens. I am not sure how a person can turn into an egg, that just sounds ridicoulous.
Old 09-24-03, 01:59 PM

I agree that it sounds ridiculous, and I think that's part of why it was ultimately cut. But that really was the intention, as far as everything I've seen on the old "Alien" SE laser, the more recent DVD and Aliens designs indicates.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.