Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Anyone pick up FFT yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone pick up FFT yet?

I checked a local BB but they didn't get it in yet. Anyone?
Old 09-09-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I picked up mine from EB this afternoon. Gonna go home tonight, hook up my PS2 controller to the Cube and enjoy a little FFTA!
Old 09-09-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't find it at Target ... but they'll have the Truck comming Tomorrow
Old 09-09-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got the shipment from Nintendo today. I've done a few battles and so far I like it. Great soundtrack that I can finally enjoy in stereo with the SP headphones that came with the order.
Old 09-09-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
No go at BBuy until Thursday but CCity is holding my copy until closing tonight Gonna have me some dinner then going to pick it up with a $5 BBuy coupon. $22 FFTA Goodnes

My dad's visiting so I won't get to play it until I go back to work on the 26th. That's what I'm going to be doing until Oct 15th when Demi Kids is coming out and then Oct 21st when SMB3 is finally arriving
Old 09-09-03, 09:45 PM

I like how it has a TV option for Gameboy Player usage. I played for awhile on my SP while waiting in line for "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". Now I want to see how it looks on the TV. I hope the TV setting looks good.
Old 09-09-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the screen settings as well. It has a brighter LCD mode for regular GBAs to make it easier to see and a darker more detailed mode for SPs. Then a TV mode to make it look its best on the GBA Player. Well thought out by Square.

Last edited by darkside; 09-10-03 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I picked it up today at the BB by my work. They always put out stuff early. In the process of loading it up. Man, I'm so stoked. Everything I've read says this is better than the PS1 version. That's pretty hard to believe, but if true, I will be one happy man. Definately worth the $80 for the GBA Player and the game.
Old 09-10-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm playing it right now and I'm stoked as well. AWESOME game so far. I'm at the point where Montblanc is showing Marche the map. I'm playing it on the GBA Player as well.

This definitely feels like it's going to be an awesome awesome game.
Old 09-10-03, 12:11 AM
Banned

Everything I've read says this is better than the PS1 version.
OMG Hype!
Old 09-10-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not hype when it's true

I have not played the PS1 version but I have never felt so excited to play a video game like I'm feeling now. Only SMB3 could get that close. This is the most fun I've had in ages.
Old 09-10-03, 12:32 AM
Banned

Is it your first Strategy RPG game?

If it is, I can see what you're saying. Strat games can have a way of taking over your life.

Comparing it to SMB3 though is foolish. NOTHING can compare to that. For ****'s sake, Mario3 had the entire world in unison chanting "MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O!".
Old 09-10-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
I picked it up today at the BB by my work. They always put out stuff early. In the process of loading it up. Man, I'm so stoked. Everything I've read says this is better than the PS1 version. That's pretty hard to believe, but if true, I will be one happy man. Definately worth the $80 for the GBA Player and the game.
Which Best Buy?

I checked the one by Metrocenter and didn't see it.
Old 09-10-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Best Buy didn't get their shipment in yet. They should have it tomorrow or thursday...hopefully.
Old 09-10-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Revoltor
Is it your first Strategy RPG game?

If it is, I can see what you're saying. Strat games can have a way of taking over your life.

Comparing it to SMB3 though is foolish. NOTHING can compare to that. For ****'s sake, Mario3 had the entire world in unison chanting "MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O! MA-RI-O!".
No, I hated Tactics Ogre because I couldn't control my whole party and I had to wait for like half an hour each turn to move. Other than that, I've played tactics games (the Advanced Wars) and tons of RPGs, but this would be my first Strat RPG title other than Tactics Ogre.
Old 09-10-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to start over because on my first real fight, one of my guys died. And I don't want anyone dead. It's true, when they're gone, they're gone.

I got the first mission just fine but didn't know how to START the mission, so I kept going from pub to pub until I realized I had to go to the plains (like I was told to do).

Then I realized that for magic, if you are near the victim, YOU take damage too! Now I know how to use magic, items, and how to handle a fight, so next one will be better. I should have saved before the fight now I have to start over FROM SCRATCH. It's okay, though, I enjoyed the intro.

There's definitely a lot of thinking involved in this game. This is going to make me buy FFT for the PS1. Sigh
Old 09-10-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't worry about losing a character unless its a really important one. You can add to your roster all the time and there will always be some guys you never use much anyway.
Old 09-10-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already turned off the GC, so I can't save anymore

Oh, well. I do want to see if I can go through without any deaths on my side, though Or is this not going to be possible? Kind of like Advance Wars?

BTW, has anyone gotten to the first mission, the weed picking mission? How many characters can you have? I had 3 and won but lost a guy. Can you have up to six? How do you select a fourth, fifth, and sixth? Marche and Montblanc were already selected but I couldn't figure out how to add a 2nd additional one so I made it do with 3.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 09-10-03 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-10-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

GameSpot gave it an 8.2!!!!!!!!! And the readers gave it a 7.2!!!!!!!!!!! What are these people smoking?!?!

(BTW, 10/10 in my opinion )
Old 09-10-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GatorDeb
GameSpot gave it an 8.2!!!!!!!!! And the readers gave it a 7.2!!!!!!!!!!! What are these people smoking?!?!
They've all probably played Shining Force.
Old 09-10-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by GatorDeb
No, I hated Tactics Ogre because I couldn't control my whole party and I had to wait for like half an hour each turn to move. Other than that, I've played tactics games (the Advanced Wars) and tons of RPGs, but this would be my first Strat RPG title other than Tactics Ogre.
If you want speed, try Disgaea. Possibly one of the best Strat games I've ever played (next to FFT and Advance Wars).

It's a little overrated but it's certainly worth the price of admission.
Old 09-10-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I own Disgaea but haven't had time to play it
Old 09-10-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Which Best Buy?

I checked the one by Metrocenter and didn't see it.
Indian School and 20th St.

Originally posted by Revoltor
OMG Hype!
OMG! Now that I've played it, I know it's better than the PS1 version. The battles are much harder than I ever remember. It looks to be tougher to build your characters stats, because I've seen no random monster battles that was in the previous version. That's good and bad. They were annoying, but they helped to gain valuable AP to level up.

Things I don't like:

The law/judge system. What a waste. I know it adds to the challenge, but it's a pain in the ass. I forgot to check the law on one battle and the main character got a red card and was sent to prison. The game was over that instant. Kind of pissed me off.

It's also harder to equip guys. I know you can check what armor/weapon goes with each character, but in the other version, you could highlight a person, and pick equip best, and you would buy any upgraded armor/weapons that were better than they had. If it's in this game, I've yet to find out how to do that.

Overall, it's great, though. I'm happy w/ the purchase.
Old 09-10-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked it up from Best Buy, bought it from EB, returned the BB copy to EB. I hate those stupid dimples on the box from the security case. Yes, i'm very picky...
Old 09-10-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So can anyone tell me if in the weed picking battle you can only choose one addl guy besides Montblanc and Marche? If you can have more, how do you choose more than 1?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.