Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

rotflmao they are such idiots!!! (regarding disposable DVDs)

Old 09-09-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the disposable DVD format does not make it harder for digital pirates to make illegal copies, Blaustein said by making DVDs cheaper the effort would also undercut the incentive to make such bootleg copies.
http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/09/tech...reut/index.htm

If anything it would INCREASE the incentive to copy it because

1) you have a cheap and easy source

2) It goes bad after 48h, so that alone is a reason to make a copy.

This is gonna fail so bad! Really funny how those on the Internet can see things so much clearer than multi million dollar executives (and not just for disposable DVDs, I mean in general).
Old 09-09-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep.. they're pretty stupid alright.
Old 09-09-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Basically, putting the product out in a copyable lower-cost format is really ........ just lowering the bootlegger's cost of doing business.

Do these jokers ever think things through before they launch a product????
Old 09-09-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by marty888
Do these jokers ever think things through before they launch a product????
No, they don't have to think. That piece of paper hanging on their walls with the Wharton or Harvard MBA stamp on it give them power to know better and more than anyone else.

If the product is a loser, some underling gets the blame. It becomes a tax write off or some line item absorbed into the net.

Of course, they are on the cover of Business Week if it's a huge success.
Old 09-09-03, 11:44 AM

I still can't wrap my mind around why ANYONE would ever think this is a good idea.

DVDs are CHEAP FOR A REASON. It's a BUYERS market.

Seems to me that they'd want to encourage further out-right DVD purchasing instead of promoting this crap.

I'm sure they must have some sort of "theory model" that tells that people will joyfully buy this drek... but I don't see how/why.

But then... I can't understand renting DVD either.
Old 09-09-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno. This does look like it's not targeted at DVD buying, but rather renting. From that perspective, it sounds like a semi decent idea, except for the fact that it'd be a lot of wasted material.
Old 09-09-03, 12:20 PM

do you think this disposable dvd will make sense with company like netflix? it might save them a bundle on shipping cost. I'm not sure tough.
Old 09-09-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know if I could only pay once for the material and copy it instead of buying it every time I wanted to watch it, I will be copying a great deal. the real business that will be getting my money will be Blank dvd-r companies.

It wouldn't make so much sense for netflicks when you factor that they advertise "See it as much times as you want" more so then the whole return it whenever you want. some changes would be taken on their part to fit the need for it if they wanted it.

Also note that I'm sure video rental stores might not be to pleased with this since the majority of their revenue is brought in by late fees

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-09-03 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 01:19 PM

Sounds like someone is trying to bring back that "brilliant" idea that was DIVX.
Old 09-09-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"will carry a suggested price of $6.99."

I don't know where the average consumer rents... but... isn't this price ridiculously high? That's about twice the average price of a rental around me... and about $5.99 more than I usually pay at Netflix.

Hell, the grocery store near me rents DVDs for $1/night. Granted the selection is awful, but... well, I can't imagine the selection of FlexPlay is going to be amazing.

Also... "will begin stocking the disposable DVDs including titles such as 'Signs' and 'The Recruit.'"

So, they're test marketing a new disc technology... by using titles that 99% of their market has already seen or owns? Dear Lord, Signs has already played on cable... how about some new releases?

This has failure written all over it.
Old 09-09-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,366 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
"will carry a suggested price of $6.99."

I don't know where the average consumer rents... but... isn't this price ridiculously high? That's about twice the average price of a rental around me... and about $5.99 more than I usually pay at Netflix.

Hell, the grocery store near me rents DVDs for $1/night. Granted the selection is awful, but... well, I can't imagine the selection of FlexPlay is going to be amazing.

Also... "will begin stocking the disposable DVDs including titles such as 'Signs' and 'The Recruit.'"

So, they're test marketing a new disc technology... by using titles that 99% of their market has already seen or owns? Dear Lord, Signs has already played on cable... how about some new releases?

This has failure written all over it.
Rent hell, I've *bought* new for less than that.
Old 09-09-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait till some poor shnook watches part of a movie, gets interrupted, and goes back two days later to find out how it ends... don't think he'll be too happy!
Old 09-09-03, 07:15 PM

If these are release, i think we should all go and poke holes in all the bags...
Old 09-09-03, 10:03 PM

The end is near... we must all repent fast

Who comes up with this crap???
Old 09-09-03, 11:18 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Actually, this marketing trend was *my* idea. I'm the one to blame.

I don't know *what* I was thinking, as I was like, totally wasted at the time.
Old 09-10-03, 03:37 AM

Rent hell, I've *bought* new for less than that.
Indeed.
Here's a good example. $1.00 less to own a non-disposable copy.

Then there's always the "environmental issues" these disposables present. A fellow pitching these on CNN today says the consumer can request a pre-addressed mail-in envelope to mail the used disc to a place for proper disposal. Or: the customer can mail it in themselves (so: more $$ spent).

Now...tell me how this trip to the post office is any less burdensome than that dreaded trip back to Blockbuster to drop off a non-disposable DVD?

(Mail it in for recycling?? Yeah, right! Everybody's gonna pitch 'em in the kitchen wastebasket.)

Last edited by davidvp; 09-10-03 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-10-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they were able to get it down to $2-$4, get it into supermarkets, and deal mainly with new releases then I could see this catching on, at least somewhat. Especially for the niche rental market at hotels and the like.

I don't see it as such a bad idea for DVDs. It's not going to effect my DVD buying or renting, and I don't see why it's upsetting to some people. Not like it's going to make regular DVD's go away. The only thing I don't like about it is the environmental impact. It's totally irresponsible to to make this product. If it becomes popular there will be thousands of these (and eventually millions) taking up space. They should include a mailer in the package and ask for them to be sent back that way.
Old 09-10-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone live in a test market for these? I would like to have a couple to add to my collection.
I still have a sealed copy of This World, Then the Fireworks on DIVX. Which still hasn't shown up on DVD.
Old 09-10-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you aware that sealed copy is worth around $0? What are you saving it for?

IIRC, ALL Divx titles expire after a certain time. Since it's been in the tank for years, they should all be crap by now.
Old 09-10-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not keeping it because I think it will be worth loads of money. I have it because it was a failed format and interesting topic to discuss. I'm strange I guess. I never even owned a DIVX player and couldn't watch it if I wanted to.
Everyone collects strange things, this happens to be one of mine. Kinda of like having both versions of the Lord of the Rings.
Old 09-10-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NikePenguin
Sounds like someone is trying to bring back that "brilliant" idea that was DIVX.
Just for fun, march into your local Circuit City and ask them where the DIVX DVDs are. Remember when they had managers pushing the players like crazy in the aisles?
Old 09-10-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[i]... The only thing I don't like about it is the environmental impact. It's totally irresponsible to to make this product. If it becomes popular there will be thousands of these (and eventually millions) taking up space. They should include a mailer in the package and ask for them to be sent back that way. [/B]
How about we try and get AOL to stop mailing out a million "800 free hours PLATINUM SUPER SLOW-SPEED EXTRA SPAM" cds every day and then maybe tackle the disposable dvd impact.
Old 09-10-03, 03:47 PM

Great point Sn9ke_eyes,
I was just waiting for someone to bring this up. What does everyone do with their AOL discs? I bet the same people who are complaining about how this is going to affect the environment just toss those AOL discs into the garbage without thinking twice. If not, what do you do with them? How do you discard of the disc? At least BVHE is setting up a recycling center to collect these. It is just up to the people if they are going to take advantage of it or not. Instead of attacking BVHE for this product, get on the people who don't recycle. You won't because the people that don't recycle are such a smaller target.

oxonce
Old 09-10-03, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Kromax
Remember when they had managers pushing the players like crazy in the aisles?
Ahhhh, yes. The early days of dvds. Brings back some wonderful memories. Still warms my heart recalling the horrible death DIVX suffered. Might we get to relive this with this disposable dvd idea?
Old 09-10-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by oxonce13
Great point Sn9ke_eyes,
I bet the same people who are complaining about how this is going to affect the environment just toss those AOL discs into the garbage without thinking twice. If not, what do you do with them?
I write return to sender on them and put them in the mail box. Not sure what happens to them after that---but they don't come back to me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.