Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Iron Monkey Rgn 0?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a cheap place to order Iron Monkey - not the region 1 Tarentino hack job. Can't find it any cheaper than about $20 shipped at HKFlix.

Any alternate places you might suggest?

Thanks
Old 09-08-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a region 3 version (by Deltamac) from dddhouse.com for about $8 shipped.

I'm not sure how this release stacks up to the previous HK all-region release (by Mega Star) picture-wise.

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...&productID=622

I don't believe that HKflix even has the 1993 version is stock (which is the movie that I think that you want). Do not accidentally buy the 1977 version.
Old 09-08-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
try ebay - the megastar version is long gone as far as I can tell.
Old 09-11-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
try ebay - the megastar version is long gone as far as I can tell.
This question made me finally pick up a sealed copy of the Megastar version in the used bin at my local DVD store that I had been eyeing for a couple of months. $8 and worth every penny.
Old 09-11-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - the megastar version is really nice... I don't see a reason to pick up any other (except maybe the HKL version).
Old 09-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it's probably hard to find the Megastar version nowadays, since it's OOP. The HKL version (Reg 2) is very nice, and the Deltamac version (Reg 3) is pretty decent as well.

Interesting personal war story on Iron Monkey. A couple of years ago, Johnny (owner of DDDHouse) and I were in HK after dinner at Sino Centre (notorious mall with dozens of bootleg shops upstairs). We were perusing through the many software and CD stores when we stumbled upon a stall that was carrying the Megastar Iron Monkey DVD. It was selling for $30HK each (a bit under $4 US) but if you picked up 6 DVDs, it would only cost you $100HK. Obviously a boot. He picks it up matter-of-factly, hands the DVD to me, and tells me 'great movie, why don't you get this?' I put it back, saying that I already had the movie. Eerie feeling, I couldn't figure out if he was testing me or just being his really nice self. Kinda reminded me when I had orientation at the university that I went to (Catholic school) and the priest that led my group hands me a beer (I wasn't 18 at the time and the legal drinking age was 21). Johnny then though did proceed to give me a lesson on how to identify a bootleg DVD.
Old 09-11-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The lure of the HKL was what was keeping me from picking this up, but I figured I could always swap it with a friend if I pick up the HKL down the line. I have a Malata but haven't picked up more than a handful of PAL discs so far. Need to get more courageous.
Old 09-12-03, 09:45 AM

Try the WA version...

If you are looking for Region 0, I would suggest the WA version from China. It has the same print as the Mega Star version, and should be around $10.
Old 09-12-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
Kinda reminded me when I had orientation at the university that I went to (Catholic school) and the priest that led my group hands me a beer (I wasn't 18 at the time and the legal drinking age was 21).
I grew up in the Boston area and the priest there were notorious about "testing" the morality of youths also.
Old 09-12-03, 08:35 PM

Thanks to you all!