Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I'm getting a satellite dish *happy dance*

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting a satellite dish *happy dance*

Well I would say 90% chance of it any ways, if we can get a signal that is... the dish guy says he is sure we can. Finally after 2 years plus having the CRAP that is called digital cable, soon I am going to march into the cable office and hand them their cable box and tell them I DONT WANT YOUR STINKIN SERVICE. Landlord said he would let us have it.
Old 09-08-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OOPS, DOUBLE POST... mods can you delete one of them??? thanks. My connection wasnt doing anything so i kept clicking submit til it went through.
Old 09-08-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by costanza187
OOPS, DOUBLE POST... mods can you delete one of them??? thanks. My connection wasnt doing anything so i kept clicking submit til it went through.
You can just edit the first post in the double: "check" the box and click on delete.
Old 09-08-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Excellent thanks!!! Took care of it

Now, back to doing the happy dance!
Old 09-08-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yay!!!!
Old 09-08-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now, back to doing the happy dance!
Is this the happy dance?

Now it's time to get a DirecTivo
Old 09-08-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Satellite dish. Good for you.
Old 09-08-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now the main question is did you get DirecTivo?
Old 09-08-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, costanza187, give it up. Inquiring minds want to know

Didja get the DirecTiVo or not ?
Old 09-08-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still trying to decide upon which service, What direction does DirecTV have to point???

I got a pretty decent shot to the SW for Dish Network...

My other "problem" that came up is, they want to charge $75 to set a pole to put the dish on, I think that's crap, we had one before, and the people who installed it included a pole for free. Still gettin the dish, be it dtv, or dn, gotta get this pole thing settled first.

BTW, what does DirecTV have to offer as far as the Tivo? (price for equipment) Dish Network is, free.
Old 09-09-03, 07:48 AM
Cat

I have had both services and DirecTV has been the best choice for me. I switched to save a little money per month and also because of the DirecTivo. If you go with DirecTV, then you should go ahead and spend the extra money for a DirecTivo!! With rebates and such you should be able to get DirecTV for free, with installation, just like Dish Network. The DirecTivo will cost you around $100 bucks with some of the rebates going on right now. You can order one from www.directv.com and use the code "ffdvr" to get it for $99 if you can't find it at that price at any stores. It is worth every penny!

I think Dish is pointed to Florida and Direct is pointed to Texas. They told me that if I could get signal for Dish then I would have no problem getting signal for Direct. So, if you have been told that you have a strong signal for one then you should have no problem with the other.

You may also want to check out a website called www.dbstalk.com because they have forums discussing the differences between the two options and some possible deals that are out there. It is a very informative site. Also, if you want more information about DirecTivo, then I suggest looking at www.tivocommunity.com where you can find out just about anything you want to know about DirecTivo or Tivo in general.

As far as the differences, it depends on who you talk to. I really liked Dish Network, but they were a little more expensive than DirecTV. Dish is supposed to have a better quality picture, but I have found any differences to be very small. DirecTV has a little more spit and polish to it and the customer service is better. I just got $20 off the grandaddy package for 6 months just because I asked if they had any type of demo program. So I get EVERY channel that DirecTV offers, besides PPV and NFL Sunday ticket, for only $65 a month. That includes all Fox Sports Channels, which will come in handy when basketball season starts, and all movie channels. So, I have been very, very pleased with DirecTV so far.

Cat

Last edited by Cat; 09-09-03 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

costanza just like cat mentioned I'd suggest checking out tivocommunity

More specifically this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=122526

I've been dealing with Robert via PM for awhile now and just the CS they offer have me sold on their company. Not to mention the numerous replies from people who actually used them.
Old 09-09-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dish has satellites at 61.5, 110, 119 and 148. Directv has satellites at 101, 110 and 119. Both Dish and Directv have satellites at 110 and 119 (these are facing somewhat south-southwest). Directv's 101 is almost facing south. Dish's 61.5 is facing almost east. If you can get Dish's programming, you can most probably get Directv's programming and vice versa. However saying that Dish is towards Florida or Directv is towards Texas is absurd. These satellites are up in the sky and depending on where you are in the country, the direction you point your satellite to is going to change. However if you have a clear view of the south-southwest sky, you should be okay.
Old 09-09-03, 08:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Questions about satellite:

1. Is it true you can't get local channels?

2. Is it true that every tv in your house hooked to the dish has to be tuned to the same channel?
Old 09-09-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can use like rabbit ears to get local channels here

the same channel thing? i dont think so if you have different receivers
Old 09-09-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho

2. Is it true that every tv in your house hooked to the dish has to be tuned to the same channel?
1. In most major markets, locals are provided (at least thru DirecTv) for $5/month. Assuming your location of Salt Lake City is accurate, DirecTv has locals in your market:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalC...sAction.do#now

2. No. That's a myth the cable companies want you to believe. All you need is a multiswitch and you are all set. Any installer will be able to handle your simple request.

Get DirecTv and the DTivo and don't look back. It'll be the best money you've spent in quite a while. No. Doubt.

Last edited by djbrown; 09-09-03 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-09-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

can use like rabbit ears to get local channels here

the same channel thing? i dont think so if you have different receivers
What part of Illinois are you in? It's possible that the Chicago spot beam will cover your area, and you could use a Chicago address as your service address to qualify for those locals.
Old 09-09-03, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks, guys. DirectTV is having a "2 months Free" special + free installation, and those two factors is what was keeping me from investigating further.
Old 09-09-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho

Don't forget:

3. Is it true you lose signal EVERY time it rains or is cloudy or the wind blows?

Welcome to the 21st century, Groucho!
Old 09-09-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI, for those considering the option of 'moving' to get spot-beamed locals, here's the best map I could find:

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/spots1.png
Old 09-09-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djbrown
FYI, for those considering the option of 'moving' to get spot-beamed locals, here's the best map I could find:

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/spots1.png

It's a pretty picture, but could someone dumb this down for me? I'm guessing this has something to do with changing my zip code when I "move". How does it affect locals, or what Fox Sport regional channel I get?
Old 09-09-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What part of Illinois are you in? It's possible that the Chicago spot beam will cover your area, and you could use a Chicago address as your service address to qualify for those locals.
I live in central IL, not too far from Springfield. They told me 2 months ago, I could probably get locals in about 2 months... now they just say, you can't get locals.

So can I lie about my zip code, and get locals, and the dish? My particular zipcode will not allow me to buy directly from direcTV, I have to go through a local provider who says "go to best buy" I typed in a different zip, and the screens came up where you can actually buy equipment.
Old 09-09-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in central IL, not too far from Springfield. They told me 2 months ago, I could probably get locals in about 2 months... now they just say, you can't get locals.

So can I lie about my zip code, and get locals, and the dish? My particular zipcode will not allow me to buy directly from direcTV, I have to go through a local provider who says "go to best buy" I typed in a different zip, and the screens came up where you can actually buy equipment.
Don't lie about your zipcode initially, otherwise they'll be sending the installer to a fictional address. What you want to do is establish service at your current location, then "move" in a month or so. Give them a friend's or relative's address, someone who lives in the area of the locals you want (Chicago, for instance) and tell them you are moving there. The bill will be mailed there, but you can set up credit card auto-pay and have your relatives just toss the bill when it comes to them. It's quite common, and I doubt the sat companies care if you even do it. Hell, it gets them another $5 a month, so I'm sure they don't. They'll probably even help you do it.
Old 09-09-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Y2K Falcon

It's a pretty picture, but could someone dumb this down for me? I'm guessing this has something to do with changing my zip code when I "move". How does it affect locals, or what Fox Sport regional channel I get?
Are you in Austin, as your 'location' suggests? If so, you already get locals thru DirecTv.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalC...sAction.do#now
Old 09-09-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you in Austin, as your 'location' suggests? If so, you already get locals thru DirecTv.
Oh... I do, including the UPN, etc. that Cox Cable wasn't offering me at ANY price.

But I thought there was some difference in like what sporting events would be blacked out. And, esp. the Fox Sports stuff. Or, for example, if I were a Yankees fan (*ugh*) and the games on Yes might be available to those in that "market".

I thought it would just be the 'enter zip code' info when you are in the satellite setup screen, not your whole billing address ball of wax...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.