Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Espn Is Best!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-03, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espn Is Best!!!

Well I expect a debate to ensue but I purchased Madden, Fever and ESPN for the X-Box and I have to say it is not even close this year. While Fever is good and Madden is excellent, neither come close to Sega's best football effort ever.

This game is head and shoulders above the rest in the most important area. The actual game of football. I could go on and on but I am already sick of typing.

If you care, go checkout the Gamespy football blowout. I agree with must of what is said.

Go Seahawks!!!
Old 09-06-03, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I just rented this to help me decide. I am blown away with the first person mode. Running the ball with that view is incredible.

This is way better than 2k3. I have yet to play fever or madden. But so far espn is pretty amazing.
Old 09-06-03, 09:53 AM

I had Madden and turned it in towards ESPN. It is clearly head and shoulders above Madden if you ask me. I preferred last year's Madden over 2004. Fever isn't even in the same class as either of them.
Old 09-06-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No X-Box so Live is out, but I'm very curious about ESPN. I'll probably rent this to check it out.
Old 09-06-03, 11:24 AM

But wait, Madden sells better than ESPN, so that automatically makes it better.....
Old 09-06-03, 12:32 PM
Admin Emeritus

I hate you, I hate Gamespot's review, I hate ESPN, and I hate Sega Sports. I'm going to have to try this game out now.

(BTW, there is a $5 off coupon for CC for any NFL game in the newest EGM... the one with SOCOM 2 on the cover.)
Old 09-06-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Agreed! I took Madden back a week after I got it and decided to wait for 2K4 and I'm glad I did. After seeing the Gamespot score I was impressed. Picked it up last night and it is without a doubt the best football game I've played...period! Grats to Sega and Visual Concepts on a fantastic job!
Old 09-06-03, 02:44 PM
Admin Emeritus

What football games have you played, Setzer?
Old 09-06-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ESPN is a great game, its the most polished and complete, it reminds me of a great special edition DVD. The crib and first person are like special features, they are fun. The espn presentation makes it feel like you are watching TV. I know a lot of you will think I'm nuts but i like the actual gameplay of fever best this year, so far anyway. I have only had both games a short period of time, i just love the fever passing, i get the feeling I'm in control of everything, if the player is open and i throw it in the open, at the right height and then i use the catch button its a completion. Madden and espn still feel random sometimes, i guy drops it for no reason. Also I'm addicted to xsnsports, this is the future of sports videogames. Its a great time to be a football fan, we have 4 great football games.
Old 09-06-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Static Cling
What football games have you played, Setzer?
All Madden games from SNES through today, all NFL2K series games from Dreamcast until now, ALL GameDay games from PS1 up through last years version....haven't played this years edition yet and I'm not *really* looking forward to it, although I did hear they made some improvements. I played last years edition of NFL Fever and didn't care for it but I will rent and try it out but from the reviews I've read so far it's only average at best.

I played the so called BEST foot ball game out there, Madden 2004, and in my opinion, while Madden is a good football game, 2K4 is better. Gameplay is better, first person mode is very cool, and visually it's better. Sure Madden has a cool Franchise mode with the ability to be an Owner which makes it more of a football simulator than anything. I don't care for that...I want to pick up the controller and play football, with friends or online, and have fun playing it and I'm getting that with 2K4. If something comes along that's better, I'll switch but it doesn't appear anyone is going to top Sega's 2K4 this season.

Last edited by Setzer; 09-06-03 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-06-03, 08:47 PM

I've played a lot of nfl2k and I picked up NFL2K3 for my ps2(only 10 bucks new!) and I have a question about the new version, do the players hands articulate? Anybody else notice that they don't ever move beyong the wrist?
Old 09-06-03, 11:19 PM
Banned

Madden is best.
Old 09-06-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I am having tons of fun playing Madden...but I wish ESPN was on the Cube this year, because I'd definitely give it a try
Old 09-07-03, 01:32 AM

I don't mean to but, I miss the days where the best football game was:

"Tecmo Super Bowl on NES"

I haven't purchased a football game since the Sega Genesis era, they are way to technical now instead of just being fun for me.
Old 09-07-03, 04:33 AM
Banned

Haha!

Every time fall rolls around I dust off my Tecmo Super Bowl cart off too.

I picked up 2k3 for 7 dollars or so a while back and it's still in it's wrapper. Is there a big difference between 2k4(espn) and this one?
Old 09-07-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Gamespot says that Madden is a more realistic game than ESPN... in the past, I had always thought the opposite true. That the 2K gameplay was always tougher and more realistic than it's Madden counterpart. Has it changed, or are they only talking about franchise mode?
Old 09-07-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nah, I think ESPN is way more realistic. The tackles, the scores, everything.
Old 09-07-03, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
Nah, I think ESPN is way more realistic. The tackles, the scores, everything.
lol.
Old 09-08-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Espn Football has Madden beat big time this year. Graphics are better big time and who the heck cares how much to charge hot dogs. If you want that go play sim city or something. I want great graphics and smooth gameplay from a football game.
Old 09-08-03, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by effigy
lol.
Just about everywhere you look, you see a distinct edge for ESPN this year. Just go to the football-gaming or Operation Sports' forums to see all the former Madden guys switching this year and their reasons why.

But here you can still find profound "Madden is best" and 'laughing out louds' at the mere thought that there's a better game this season.
Old 09-08-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Galanthas
I don't mean to but, I miss the days where the best football game was:

"Tecmo Super Bowl on NES"

I haven't purchased a football game since the Sega Genesis era, they are way to technical now instead of just being fun for me.

100% in agreement with this post. . .
Old 09-08-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Go here for a good dissection and comparisons of all the new football games:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/september03/nflroundup

(ESPN comes out on top, ever so slightly over Madden '04)
Old 09-08-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by slop101
Go here for a good dissection and comparisons of all the new football games:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/september03/nflroundup

(ESPN comes out on top, ever so slightly over Madden '04)
Thats a solid link. It just pushed me over the edge. I am now officially going to purchase ESPN Football. Thanks.
Old 09-08-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

after reading that review and others, looks as though I may get ESPN (xbox) after buying Madden 2003 last year.
Old 09-08-03, 09:44 PM

i've been playing madden since 92. espn is by far better than any madden game. but in the end, to each it's own. espn is cool. everyone should check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.