Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something about Legend?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-03, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

This weekend I watched a DVD I bought as a blind buy because of all the hype so long ago (ie: will Legend SE finally be released, etc.). It's been sitting in my collection for months and this weekend I finally got around to watching it thinking it would be welcome surprise like the many other DVDs I've been introduced to here in this forum.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but this movie nearly put me to sleep. Is there something fundamental I'm not catching or is this simply a bad movie with a cult following?
Old 09-05-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Am I missing something about Legend?

Originally posted by typecase
Is there something fundamental I'm not catching or is this simply a bad movie with a cult following?
I think it's mostly the latter--I don't hate it (unlike, say, Willow which I found to be unwatchable), but I did find it pretty mediocre. If you read the latest Premier Magazine, it even appears Ridley Scott (who directed it) is somewhat disappointed (basically, he thinks he didn't have the money to make it all it could be), although I guess on the DVD he was able to fix some of the things he didn't like.

Also, since there aren't too many of them, and there are many fans of the genre, it seems like every fantasy movie that comes out has a bit of a following.

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-05-03 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-05-03, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lush sets and production design, some (brief) beautiful cinematography, and a pretty cool make-up/costume job on Tim Curry.

Otherwise, it's not Ridley Scott's best, for a couple reasons. A pretty good DVD set (Universal Ultimate Edition) in any case...
Old 09-05-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I've only ever seen about 5 minutes of this and it was painful. I generally hate fantasy though (I can stand Neverending Story and LotR... obviosuly).
Old 09-05-03, 07:41 AM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
I really like the film, but it is slow and paced rather poorly. I watch it for Tim Curry's role as Darkness, plus for some of the other things mentioned above (sets, costumes, make-up, etc).

I own it and watch it about once a year... but that's all I can stand.
Old 09-05-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I own it and I love it.

The music is great and everything else mentioned above is great. Other than that stuff just about the only reason to watch is Tim Curry

But it's an aquired taste.
Old 09-05-03, 07:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've noticed that occasionally on this board a title that should have faded into obscurity is suddenly touted and becomes a big "most wanted" release. This usually happens with movies that people have either never seen, or haven't seen since they were children. Then, the DVD is released and everybody realizes that it doesn't live up to expectations. Happened with Supergirl, happened with Legend.
Old 09-05-03, 09:07 AM

I like it as well for the sets, costumes, cinematography, Tim Curry in the classical demon makeup, etc. The best way to look at it is as a generic fairy tale with your basic hero, princess, and villain. Fairy tale's don't have complicated plots or lots of action typically.
Old 09-05-03, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fitful moments of brilliance embellished with people's sentimental attachments to this movie and their associated experiences with it have elevated Legend far beyond what it actually is--a cheese-fest with nice photography and art direction.
Old 09-05-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same experience except i rented it (thank god). Yeah the movie does kinda suck. Willow, on the other hand, is classic.
Old 09-06-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I hadn't seen the movie in a long long time, but everybody on the board was going insane over the release so I picked it up as a blind buy. Well, I also thought I was missing something because it just moved soooooo sloooooooooooooow. I also think I almost dozed off at one point. Oh, and I think the dvd case is very poorly made.
Old 09-06-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I'm glad to see I'n not the only one who hasn't appreciated this movie. I was disappointed in it when it was new, and have resisted the temptation to watch it again. I think I'll keep resisting.... (too many movies out there that I will enjoy, too many movies I want to revisit...)