Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

My interest in True Crime:Streets of L.A. just went way down

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-04-03, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just reading up on the soundtrack for the game, all hip hop and rap . I know some people like that kind of music but I personally hate new rap. I liked old rap like N.W.A., Run-DMC and the like though. Unless there is an option to just turn off the music I won't be picking this one up, which sucks since I like the developer Luxoflux (made Vigilante 8 and Vigilante 8:2nd offense on PS1).

http://www.luxoflux.com/
Old 09-04-03, 08:16 PM
Cool New Member

Surely the Xbox version will allow Custom Soundtracks anyway though? So that's cool.

Sucks if you are going for the PS2 or Cube version though, but I assume it will only be in car radio, and you never know, it may suit the style of game. There are styles of music I hate in games - NBA Street is a good example, but I enjoyed it in the game as it was suited to it.
Old 09-04-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was really excited about this game until I heard bad things aboot it from E3. I'll rent first.
Old 09-04-03, 09:23 PM
Banned

I hate rap as well, but the game isn't gonna be held down by music, it's gameplay that counts. I hope the game itself is as good as everying is expecting.
Old 09-04-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I can't wait for this one
Old 09-04-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What type of music did you expect, classical? Rap seems to fit this game like a glove.
Old 09-04-03, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
What type of music did you expect, classical? Rap seems to fit this game like a glove.
I expected a variety of music, like it was in GTA 3 and Vice City.
Old 09-04-03, 10:21 PM
Banned

I love Rap and its the only thing I listen to besides a little Mariah Carey and J-Lo :P. I'm not into west coast rap. Most rap I listen to is from east coast (Wu-Tang and the whole Wu-Fam, Mobb Deep, NaS, Infamous Mobb, Capone & N.O.R.E., Boot Camp etc etc, okay, listing what I listen too isnt part of the topic but it still merges with music of the game.

I'm really looking foward to this game as it does have some west coast rappers I do like in it, Snoop Dog, Ice Cube and some others and I think I read somewhere that there is going to be some N.W.A. songs in it but I'm not sure if it's true cause it doesn't say on the site you have provided. Galanthas, Ice Cube is from Westside Connection so most likely you'll like it and I'm sure you haven't given those other rappers a chance.
Old 09-04-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
The music doesn't interest me that much. It's a different game than GTA, so I can deal with it. I hope the game is still good since I already preordered it from IGN Gamestore. I had heard good things from E3 about it.
Did anyone see it in action there? What did you think?
Old 09-04-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Saw it in action at E3 - they had a really cool display for it too. Anyway - it wasn't finished... draw distances were off, AI was off, drivng wasn't totally down yet, there was clipping, and a few other problems. Still, it wasn't done yet. I'm confident that it'll be an awesome game when it's released. Driving around in LA is something I've done alot, so it'll be interesting to see it in a game. As for the music - I'm buying it for the game, not the soundtrack. That's what my Xbox is for. Protesting a game because there's rap in it sounds kinda silly to me.
Old 09-04-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Anyone think that GTA coming to Xbox will affect the interest in True Crime?
Old 09-04-03, 11:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Anyone think that GTA coming to Xbox will affect the interest in True Crime?
Probably. The market for this was the "Well, I want GTA but I'll settle for True Crime." Of course, if the reviews and word of mouth are good...who knows?
Old 09-05-03, 12:13 AM

Well, if Tru Crime is a GTA clone, then my interest just dropped to 0. I dont think there has ever been a clone as good as the original they are trying to emulate. When I say that, I am even referring to all the stealth games trying to be like Metal Gear, the kind of stealth
Old 09-05-03, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Killabeez
I love Rap and its the only thing I listen to besides a little Mariah Carey and J-Lo :P. I'm not into west coast rap. Most rap I listen to is from east coast (Wu-Tang and the whole Wu-Fam, Mobb Deep, NaS, Infamous Mobb, Capone & N.O.R.E., Boot Camp etc etc, okay, listing what I listen too isnt part of the topic but it still merges with music of the game.

I'm really looking foward to this game as it does have some west coast rappers I do like in it, Snoop Dog, Ice Cube and some others and I think I read somewhere that there is going to be some N.W.A. songs in it but I'm not sure if it's true cause it doesn't say on the site you have provided. Galanthas, Ice Cube is from Westside Connection so most likely you'll like it and I'm sure you haven't given those other rappers a chance.
I don't like the direction rap has taken over the years so your probably right that I haven't given alot of rappers a chance. Never cared for Ice Cube outside of N.W.A. same for Dr. Dre.

Originally posted by Trigger
Saw it in action at E3 - they had a really cool display for it too. Anyway - it wasn't finished... draw distances were off, AI was off, drivng wasn't totally down yet, there was clipping, and a few other problems. Still, it wasn't done yet. I'm confident that it'll be an awesome game when it's released. Driving around in LA is something I've done alot, so it'll be interesting to see it in a game. As for the music - I'm buying it for the game, not the soundtrack. That's what my Xbox is for. Protesting a game because there's rap in it sounds kinda silly to me.
Who's protesting against a game here? I'm just saying I won't buy it if it doesnt have a feature to turn off the music only. Yes games are about gameplay but no one can deny music and a graphics style have a part to play in the overall enjoyment of a game.
Old 09-05-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Galanthas
Who's protesting against a game here? I'm just saying I won't buy it if it doesnt have a feature to turn off the music only. Yes games are about gameplay but no one can deny music and a graphics style have a part to play in the overall enjoyment of a game.
Sounded like you were saying you wouldn't buy the game just because you didn't like the soundtrack... and if you couldn't disable it. That just sounds like a weak reason not to buy the game. I don't like rap either, but I'm still gonna buy the game, cuz it looks awesome. Worst case, I can just put a CD I like in the stereo. FYI, the game will most likely feature a way to turn off the music anyway, so rest easy.
Old 09-05-03, 02:33 AM
Cool New Member

I played the demo at E3 and I couldn't stop playing. It was a lot of fun. Gas tanks explode when you rear-end another car, even police cars. You can hijack ambulances and buses, and even fire your gun out of your window while driving (if I remember correctly).

The physics of driving different sized vehicles feels pretty accurate in the game. It wasn't immediately as easy to speed through traffic as it is with the GTA series.

I'm looking forward to playing the finished version.

As for the music, even if it doesn't have the option to customize the soundtrack, turn down the music level, keep the sound effects, and crank your stereo.

Can you imagine if people refused to play Redneck Rampage just 'cuz they didn't dig the Reverend Horton Heat?
Old 09-05-03, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Ian H.
I played the demo at E3 and I couldn't stop playing. It was a lot of fun. Gas tanks explode when you rear-end another car, even police cars. You can hijack ambulances and buses, and even fire your gun out of your window while driving (if I remember correctly).

The physics of driving different sized vehicles feels pretty accurate in the game. It wasn't immediately as easy to speed through traffic as it is with the GTA series.

I'm looking forward to playing the finished version.

As for the music, even if it doesn't have the option to customize the soundtrack, turn down the music level, keep the sound effects, and crank your stereo.

Can you imagine if people refused to play Redneck Rampage just 'cuz they didn't dig the Reverend Horton Heat?
Are you saying the E3 build had the option of just turning down the music and keeping the sound effects? If so, I have no problem with the game then. That's all I want, the option of turning down just the music and keeping the sound effects.
Old 09-05-03, 07:08 AM
fab

There's a demo of True Crime in this month's OPSM. There's 1 driving section and 1 shooting section.. both are really short but I played through them a few of times. The graphics for both sections are really much better than GTA, however I wasn't impressed by either. The driving felt a little like GTA, but not the shooting. I'm not sure if it's going to necessarily be a GTA clone or not.

There's also a demo of SSX3 and Ratchet and Clank 2 in this issue that are good.

--
fab
Old 09-05-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kellehair
Old 09-05-03, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Sounded like you were saying you wouldn't buy the game just because you didn't like the soundtrack... and if you couldn't disable it. That just sounds like a weak reason not to buy the game. I don't like rap either, but I'm still gonna buy the game, cuz it looks awesome. Worst case, I can just put a CD I like in the stereo. FYI, the game will most likely feature a way to turn off the music anyway, so rest easy.
So essentially your saying that anyone that complains about a games camera system and says they won't purchase a game because of it is a weak reason? The camera is no more important than the music to some people, meaning it can just as easily ruin a game experience. For example, Super Smash Brothers Melee, I hate the camera system and have not purchased the game because of it, so your saying that's is a weak argument? You personally may not care what type of music or how that music is intergrated into the game but others most definitely do.
Old 09-05-03, 08:32 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't understand the comparison about the camera. The camera can aversely affect gameplay, whereas the music in a game adversely affects atmosphere.
Old 09-05-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I said anything about a camera... then again, I can't read that good, so maybe I did.
Old 09-05-03, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't understand the comparison about the camera. The camera can aversely affect gameplay, whereas the music in a game adversely affects atmosphere.
So your saying really bad graphics wouldn't affect gameplay, only atmosphere?

Both can ruin a game was my point. Think of it this way, you go and purchase GTA: Vice City and pop it into your system and find out the only music that is in the game is the Barney song and there is no way to turn it off heh. I don't know about you but that damn Barney song would ruin the game for me.
Old 09-05-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Galanthas
So your saying really bad graphics wouldn't affect gameplay, only atmosphere?
Bingo.

Think about the 8-Bit Nintendo.. not so pretty graphics EXXXCELLENT video games, much, much better than a lot of the stuff out there now.
Old 09-05-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's going on here?? Groucho didn't say anything about graphics... is this a trick?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.