Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The hardest movie trivia question I know

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 05:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this quite by accident, about ten years ago. Since then, I've shared it with a few people, along with the answer. If you've heard it, chances are you got it from someone, who got it from someone, who got it from someone ... who got it from me; but I've never had it posed to me by someone else -- not yet, anyway. Here it is:

In the film "Trading Places," starring Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy, there is a scene wherein Aykroyd's character, Louis Winthorp, tackily dressed, approaches his friends at his club for the purpose of borrowing a thousand dollars. Before he enters, you see several young women seated around a table, one of whom is telling a story, of which only the last line is heard. The line is, "And she stepped on the ball."

What kind of ball was it, and why?
Old 09-04-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know the answer but that is the same punchline to a joke from Auntie Mame or something like that...i don't remember if they told the whole joke in that movie.
Old 09-04-03, 06:26 PM
Cool New Member

Outstanding, Superboy!

In the film, "Auntie Mame," Patrick's girl-friend, Gloria, tells a story at a party about her championship game against one of her friends, the final line of which was, "And I stepped on the ball!"

In both films, the storyteller is a young woman of the same type: rich and condescending. The parallels are too close for coincidence; someone involved with "Trading Places" -- screenwriter or director, most likely -- was paying homage to the earlier film.

This is why the ball in the latter film had to be ... a ping pong ball.

I'm really amazed that someone got this close this quickly. You guys really know your movies!
Old 09-04-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What took you ten years took us 23 minutes!

And by us I mean Superboy because I had no idea what the hell you were talking about...
Old 09-04-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but doesn't Trading Places also mention Sentor Blutowski in reference to Animal House, both directed by John Landis? I think I read that in Maxim/FHM/Stuff or something.
Old 09-04-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, there were a score of other references to other John Landis movies as well as having several of his Director's TMs.

On a slightly related note, in a weird scene in MiB Tommy Lee Jones tells Will Smith the punchline to a joke from the movie The Sting. I was probably one of the few people in the world who knew what the hell he was talking about, although i don't even remember the joke itself...
Old 09-07-03, 12:59 PM

Ok... can anybody tell me if there is a punch line to the joke in The Breakfast Club?

"Naked blonde walks into a bar with a two foot salami under one arm and poodle under the other. The Bartender looks up and says, 'I guess you won't be needing a drink?' The Blonde says 'Oooo Sh@#t!' " John Bender as he falls through the roof of the library.

Ever since I saw that movie... I wondered if there even was a punchline? I figure if anybody can come up with it... it's y'all.
Old 09-07-03, 06:57 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly not...

Google search brought up this:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?...nished%20Jokes
According to people in the know, the joke was ad-libbed by Judd Nelson on the set. In fact, he only had a punchline, "I forgot my pencil," and was trying to make up a joke to fit. Judge for yourself whether you think he succeeded.
Old 09-08-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Superboy
On a slightly related note, in a weird scene in MiB Tommy Lee Jones tells Will Smith the punchline to a joke from the movie The Sting. I was probably one of the few people in the world who knew what the hell he was talking about, although i don't even remember the joke itself...
From IMDB...

The joke told by K at the restaurant that ends in the ambiguous punchline, "...yeah, but this one's eatin' my popcorn!" is the same strange joke told by the stand-up comic at the burlesque show in Sting, The (1973).
Old 09-08-03, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Superboy
"...yeah, but this one's eatin' my popcorn!"
Thank you for that info! I wonder about that joke everytime I see the movie.
Old 09-08-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by juiio
From IMDB...

The joke told by K at the restaurant that ends in the ambiguous punchline, "...yeah, but this one's eatin' my popcorn!" is the same strange joke told by the stand-up comic at the burlesque show in Sting, The (1973).
That's the one.