Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Technical Music Question

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Technical Music Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical Music Question

When you play a 7 Chord, you play the 1,3,5,7 notes of the scale.

When you play a 9 Chord, do you include the 7th or do you just add in the 9th?

C Major = C E G

C Major 7 = C E G A#

C Major 9 = C E G D or C E G A# D?
Old 09-04-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well first of all there is not an A# in a C Major 7 chord. The principle notes of a Cmaj7 chord are C G B E.

If you added the 9 in a Cmaj7 chord you would actually end up with a chord called Cmaj7(add9) which is C G B E D.

For a Cmaj9 chord the principle notes are C E Bb D.
Old 09-04-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Well first of all there is not an A# in a C Major 7 chord. The principle notes of a Cmaj7 chord are C G B E.

If you added the 9 in a Cmaj7 chord you would actually end up with a chord called Cmaj7(add9) which is C G B E D.

For a Cmaj9 chord the principle notes are C E Bb D.
Why not? A#/Bb is the 7th note of the C major scale. I don't get it.

How did you come up with your notes for Cmaj9? You've omitted the 5th (G) and used Bb instead
Old 09-05-03, 01:38 AM

Oh man...I had a complete brain cramp. I read it as Cmaj9 but was thinking C9. Cmaj9 principle notes are C E G B D. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 09-05-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Why not? A#/Bb is the 7th note of the C major scale. I don't get it.

How did you come up with your notes for Cmaj9? You've omitted the 5th (G) and used Bb instead
B is the 7th note in the C major scale. Bb is the 7th note in the C minor scale. And if you really want to get technical A# is not in the C major or C minor scale even though it sounds the same as Bb. But depending upon the type of music you're playing it may be close enough.
Old 09-05-03, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by karnblack
B is the 7th note in the C major scale. Bb is the 7th note in the C minor scale. And if you really want to get technical A# is not in the C major or C minor scale even though it sounds the same as Bb. But depending upon the type of music you're playing it may be close enough.
I was just thinking harmonic pentatonic minor when I replied, which also adds a Eb...if you want to.
Old 09-05-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by karnblack
Ok, where am I wrong, because I was just recently taught to count a major scale as Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step and a minor scale as Whole Step/Half Step/Whole Step:

C Major: 1C 2D 3E 4F 5G 6A 7Bb 8C 9D

C Minor: 1C 2D 3D# 4F 5G 6G# 7Bb etc.

Was I taught incorrectly or am I counting incorrectly?

And what's the difference between "Cmaj9" and "C9"? Maybe that's my problem, that I don't recognize that "C Major" is a different scale than just "C" or "A Major" is different than "A"

Last edited by TeeSeeJay; 09-05-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-03, 12:02 PM
Cool New Member

>>And what's the difference between "Cmaj9" and "C9"?
Old 09-06-03, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Ok, where am I wrong, because I was just recently taught to count a major scale as Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step and a minor scale as Whole Step/Half Step/Whole Step:

C Major: 1C 2D 3E 4F 5G 6A 7Bb 8C 9D

C Minor: 1C 2D 3D# 4F 5G 6G# 7Bb etc.

Was I taught incorrectly or am I counting incorrectly?

And what's the difference between "Cmaj9" and "C9"? Maybe that's my problem, that I don't recognize that "C Major" is a different scale than just "C" or "A Major" is different than "A"
Not sure how someone would teach you that a C Major scale would have flats. Think about a C major scale as the white keys on a piano starting with a C base. Notes C D E F G A B.

Also the C mior scale you wrote would have flats not sharps. The only time you see a sharp in C scale is in a C whole tone scale (F is sharp) or some of the exotic scales like C dimished(F is sharp) or half dimished (has C, C# and F#).