Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Critic's Choice DVDs

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-03-03, 10:14 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Critic's Choice, a DVD and VHS mail order retailer that seems to have some relation to Deep Discount DVD, has started releasing their own line of DVDs featuring public domain movies and TV shows. Their catalog describes the movies as follows: "Each DVD is produced using the best avalible master and is then Digitally Restored [sic] to its original poistine viewing condition." They are avalible from DDD for $5.99 each, which is a great deal IF they are clean copies. But we all know that "Digitally Restored" can mean just about anything when it comes to budget DVD producers.

So, I was wondering if anyone has seen any of these? What's the quality like?

The titles avalible are:

THIS IS THE ARMY
STAGE DOOR CANTEEN
HIS PRIVATE SECRETARY
RETURN OF CHANDU (serial $9.49)
BULLDOG DRUMMOND DOUBLE FEATURE
SHERLOCK HOLMES DOUBLE FEATURE 1
JACK BENNY PROGRAM V.01
RED SKELTON SHOW V.01
JANE EYRE (1970)
THE FABULOUS DORSEYS
MR WONG DOUBLE FEATURE 1
SERGEANT PRESTON OF THE YUKON V.01
EAST SIDE KIDS DOUBLE FEATURE 1
ADVENTURES OF OZZIE & HARRIET V.01
EAST SIDE KIDS DOUBLE FEATURE 2
LUM & ABNER DOUBLE FEATURE 1
ROCK ROCK ROCK
SHERLOCK HOLMES DOUBLE FEATURE 2
ADVENTURES OF JIM BOWIE V.01
ADVENTURES OF TOPPER V.01

If no one has taken the chance yet, and is interested, I'll probably try a couple out and can write a quick review.

-Videophile
Old 09-04-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took a chance on Return on Chandu and I'm very much regretting the decision. Dirty, muddy, fuzzy print. Mastering at roughly Video-CD quality (I'm not kidding... I've watched thousands of DVDs and this thing has the absolute worst compression artifacts I've ever seen.)

The Alpha edition of Chandu looks like a THX remaster by comparison. Based on this, I plan on staying far away from this company in the future. They made even Madacy look good.
Old 09-04-03, 04:51 PM
Defunct Account

That's too bad Brian. I took a chance on the Alpha Chandu also, and was blown away. Much better than I expected. Then I bought their Bowery Boys collection, and the three I've seen are poor. Very dark, no contrast, damaged prints. Pretty much unwatchable.

Has anyone out there seen the Alpha "Phantom Empire" by any chance? It is my favorite serial, but I've seen several bad VHS copies of this, and so I'm fearful that this DVD will suck also. I'll probably break down and buy it eventually, there's just too much good stuff coming out now.

-Videophile
Old 09-04-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Videophile... I haven't picked up any copy of "Phantom Empire" yet, but you may want to check out www.serialsquadron.com

They have been doing remastering/restoration of several titles (including Phantom). I have the Zorro DVD they did recently and it is really very, very good. I assume the Phantom DVD would be up to the same level of quality (they have a forum there, so people would definitely sound off if it sucked!)
Old 09-05-03, 12:31 PM
Defunct Account

Yea, I know about the Serial Squadron's version. It's on DVD-R's, and I can't bring myself to pay $30 shipped for a DVD-R. It won't play on one of my players (but will on the other,) and I've heard that DVD-R's are more sensitive to scratches etc. than regular DVDs.

Also, this edition has been altered from the original. To quote from their web site:

"... a few shots have been tightened at their in and out points, particularly when in the original a character leaves the frame and there's nothing there after he's gone."

and:

"A couple of ray-gun blasts, missing in the original, have been added in. "

and:

"There were I think two partial lines in later chapters which were deleted because they were so badly damaged and not crucial;"

Also:

"Virtually all music included is interpolated, and from RCA Victor or other contemporary sources. Practically all the music that appeared in the original was the Murania theme, usually used when the city model was shown, and some music at the very end when the city is melting."

Which I take to mean that they have added music to the show, which is unforgivable IMHO.

One other point of note:

"The first ten minutes of chapter 4 are on disk 1, the second ten on disk 2."

I guess I'm not willing to pay a premium price for a product like this.

As to the quality being discussed in Serial Squadron forums, I'm not sure negative comments would be left up. I've only read a few threads there, but the owner of the site seems to be very particular as to what he will and will not allow on his boards. Only administrators can post that a DVD is scheduled to be released. He does not want the budget DVD lines talked about. It's his board, and he can set the rules as he likes, but because of that, I'm not sure if critical reviews would be allowed to stand. I could be wrong however.

-Videophile

Last edited by videophile; 09-05-03 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-05-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Videophile... you make several good points there. (As I said, I've only purchased the Zorro's Fighting Legion disc, which was very good.)

I'll probably shy away from their Phantom disc just as you are. Especially when I can grab the Alpha edition for about $10 shipped.

Some day... some day...